The Great local dive shop vs. online debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone ever baught something online new or used? I was just wondering if it would be worth saving a lot of money buying NEW online or would I be better off buying the same thing locally from a local dive center? Has anyone ever baught something from an auction site like ebay? I have been looking at buying some new equipment online and it seems to be about 40%less than locally. If you do buy online where do you buy from? I would like to get some equipment prior to taking the class.. I have a couple of weeks to do so.

Most all of us have, at one time or another, bought something online or at Ebay. Be it a knife, BC, light or whatever. But I suggest you concentrate on learning to dive and not worry to much about equipment for now. You need to try several different brands, types, and etc, before you can even begin to buy what's right for you. You should however at least buy a mask now, and possibly fins and a snorkle. The trouble is that alot of shops/instructors more or less expect you to at leat buy these items from them, during your class. Some even require you to have a mask, fins and snorkel, but some don't.

I agree...you have to try different setups to learn what features are important to you before you drop that kind of money. Once you have a better idea of what you want, see if your local dive shop will match internet pricing. Alot will...plus they will come with a manufacturer warranty..which saves you money and agravation in the long run.

As for the snorkeling gear (if that is what you are thinking of buying), comfort and fit are the most important things. You can probably find the same items online as you can buy in your shop. But, it usually is worth the extra few bucks to buy it from your shop and develop a good relationship with the staff. You get their professional imput, plus if there are any problems (mask leaks, fins cause cramping, etc.) they will be more willing to exchange them for something you like better.

Hope this helps...and good luck!

Take Warhammer's advice -- take your time, get some dives under your belt, and then decide what you want to buy. It's only with some experience that you will really begin to understand what works for YOU and what doesn't -- do I want wrist mounted gauges or console? do I want a BC mounted knife or leg-mounted? what kind of BC do I want (back inflation, etc.)? Do I want an integrated inflator or octopus?

These answers will come partly from experience, partly from discussions with other divers.

I am probably an extreme example (I spend A LOT of time researching dive purchases before I buy) -- I started diving last April and didn't finish buying my first set of gear until about 1 week ago. Although I blew a bunch of $$$ on rental gear, I think I saved in the long run by buying gear that I won't have to replace in 6 months, both because it is good quality gear and because it works for the types of diving I do.

Hope this helps.

It's normal to save up to 40% off gear by buying it online but there is a hidden and indirect cost to doing so. This is one of the most controversial subjects in diving today.

The existence of our local dive shops depends on us purchasing gear from them. If the majority of divers were to begin buying most of their equipment on-line, our local shops would go out of business and would no longer be a source of air, charters, service and advice. I know it's hard to notice the impact of the decision on one diver and the cash saving are very tempting but each of us have a much stronger impact than we may realize. It the same reason we don't litter, vote and try to be polite while driving.

Last week I spent $680 for a Scubapro MK20/S600 regulator from my local shop. I could have bought it online for $450. I didn't do it in the interest of the store owner or his staff but for myself and for other divers in my area. The benefits of buying the gear from the store outweigh the extra cost. Plus, I don't ever recommend buying gear online and then taking it into a shop to have it serviced.

If the extra cost is a very strong issue for you my suggestion is that you purchase gear on-line that does not need to be serviced and that you buy your tank, bc, regs, and computer/gagues from the shop that can offer the best prices, seem to be polite and knowledgeable, and that isn't so far away that you won't use them in the future to get air, etc. But don't expect a discount from a shop if you're a first time buyer and aren't buying your gear as a package.

One additional suggestion....if you are ever thinking of even possibly getting into tech diving, this should influence what gear you get now for recreational diving, especially for your bc and regs. It'll save you money now and in the long run. Though your local store may try and talk you out of it because many are unfamiliar with the steel back plates and wings tech divers use, it just as safe for you to dive with them on dive #6 as it is on dive #600.

I couldn't disagree more stongly with BradyMSU. We live in a free market system-each buyer determines their own reward/benefit from their purchases-I will not pay double for someone in a dive shop to take a wetsuit off the rack and hand it to me. As far as "supporting your local dive shop" - if certain divers feel such a "communal spirit" with their dive shop then maybe they should form some type of co-op. I chuckle when I hear people "supporting there local dive shop" and spending and extra 50% on their gear-I bet no one has ever had a dive shop tell them "we'll take 50% off the wholesale price to support the local divers". Maybe I should make a monetary pledge to my local dive shop right now???
HOWEVER, I have and will pay a dive shop well to organize local dive trips, and service equipment(correctly)-but to pay 50% more for equipment is just insane.

Many different opinions on "buying online vs. LDS". I agree with some of what both Brady and Buff had to say. Hard to believe I would believe ANYTHING an MSU grad says.....I went to UM ;-)

Anyway, I look at the importance of service with the purchases I make and how involved I've been with a given shop regarding a given purchase. I bought a new Apeks TX-100 and TX-40 octo a few weeks ago. This was a purchase that (1) I had been discussing with this particular shop for several weeks and several trips to the shop, picking their brain for recommendations on regs, etc., etc. -- they had invested a lot of time in me; (2) I felt that I wanted their help in setting up hoses, etc. Bottom line, they provided me value in the form of useful knowledge and technical skills.

2 weeks before that, I bought a Suunto Vyper and Suunto compass on-line. I had made these purchase decisions without any dive shop help or input. All of my research was on-line or by discussing with other divers I know. Like buff says, should I go in and buy a 80-100% mark-up for a transaction like this? I say no.

I will pay $$$ when I receive value. When a dive shop adds no value to a transaction, I bypass them.

Pay when you receive value-I had to write an essay and large_diver sums it up in one sentence-that is why he(I assume) is a senior member.
That is what is wonderful about this site and the internet in general. There is a great exchange of ideas, opinions and knowledge-depending on the site of course. The large brokerage houses used to say the same thing dive shops say-"hey, you guys need us, you can't figure out the market(dive equipment) without our help" Well, the internet destroys that monopoly and now when I buy online(and I do buy alot-take it from my wife) I searched the WHOLE WORLD for what I consider that best value(not neccesarily the cheapest)-that is "voting with my dollars" as my high school economics instructory used to say.

Jarec, (very cool name by the way!)

Back to your original question......

If you chose to buy equipment online, there are a number of sites of varied quality out there. One advantage is that you don't have to pay your state's sales tax if you buy online. This usually can make up for the shipping cost. Leisure-Pro.com is an American company that has a large selection, good prices and can offer you a store warranty on items that it is not authorized to sell by the manufacturer.

E-Bay is a different story. Make sure that the seller has made a number of sales already and check comments about him/her. Some of the best deals can be found on E-Bay and some of the worst.

I have been to LeisurePro, and as a matter of fact they are one of the sites I was generally asking about. Seems like they have better prices than most online stores and much better than local prices. I do see the benefit of buying locally, especially for a newbie like me. I don't know anyone who Scuba's, so networking at the local dive shop is a good idea. But spending an extra $150 on a BC or $300 for a regulator doesn't seem like a good way to find a scuba buddy. I am definitely waiting to purchase any equipment, and never rush into anything. It took me 15 years to take the scuba lessons, but I just wanted to get a feel for other peoples experience of buying online. I thanks everyone for their input.

Seems I have a moral decision to make... one I hadn't thought about before.. HMMM...

Back
Top Bottom