The great travel BC topic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverInAk

Contributor
Reaction score
I've got a DUI BCS for local dry suit diving. I will probably invest in a Backplate setup next year.

Right now I'm interested in suggestions for a good travel BC for tropical climes. Something that packs easily (not too bulky), back buoyancy, weight integrated yet rugged enough to clip a deco bottle to if needed.

Come to think of it, my DUI fits that bill pretty well. I guess I was looking for something a little sleeker and smaller for warm water. I don't need the 40lbs of weight capacity and the 58lbs of lift!

Suggestions?

Most of the time I travel around the tropics with a SeaQuest Explorer. Truly packs up tiny. But for the combination of packing and robustness you want, I recommend the Transpac II with Travel wings.
Rick

Thanks for the reply. I don't know, the Transpac looks a lot like my DUI. I could always put a smaller bladder on the DUI, but it just seems bulky when you want to travel light.

I was looking at the Zeagle Concept II as a possibility, but, like most things, I can't get my hands on one to look at.

I need to make a trip to the "lower 48" just to look at some different gear!

Diver,

The backplate/wings setup gets pretty small when you need it to be. The system is so easy to disassemble-maybe 3-4 minutes, and 7-8 minutes to reassemble.

BTW, I'm using a Halcyon bp/wings w/ single tank adapter. The largest piece is the backplate, and it's not that large when apart from the rest.

If you're looking at it for next year, why would you want to get something else this year that you wouldnt need in the future? Seems like $ tossed away.

just my .01 (short on cash)

I agree the Transpac II with travel wings is the way to go. Just by changing the wings this set up can turn into a great tec base for you to dive with.

The TP/TW combo is a great way to go for the tropics.

I live in rural West Kentucky, have 63 dives, dive a Zeagle Ranger and Escape. Both pack well and can fit in a Eddie Baurer 21" carryon plus reg/mask/computer/bathing suit and .5mm wetsuit and a few odd items, quite a few more odd items with the Escape. (It's the soft back on them, double it over and quite a bit of space is left.).

I am interested in a backplate/harness rig but have literally never seen one on a dive - confession time. Our family has dove Coz/Bonaire/Nassau., typical Carribean trips. Nearest I've seen is a Dacor Rig - 'nuff said on that. I'm tempted to try the EE 30 day deal but prefer what I've read about FredT plates. Probably would go with aluminum. No one here locally dives them, probably have been some at the quarries but I've not seen them.

There is no stocking dealer that I am aware of within 2-3 hours driving so I can't go to the shop and try the thing.

We do dive locally in cold quarries some (hence the Ranger) but most is by air to the Carribean with the Escape. Two Zeagles? My Zeagle LDS sold the Escape/24lb bag minus an Octo+ (switch with the Ranger) for less than a wing. Cost isn't an issue though.

Will a standard aluminum BP/harness/wing setup fit in a carryon bag with enough room for mask and reg, at a minimum, preferably a bit more?

This isn't a Zeagle v. BP challenge, just a request of info based on experience. I just like to carry essentials on the plane. I've seen too many rental BC problems on trips to even consider checking mine through and taking a chance on it not making it. The EB bag is about 22x11x10 (l,w,depth).

Any help would be appreciated,

Sincerely,

Bill

I can't speak to the carry on stuff, though I have the 27 lb. wing and SS BP it will fold incredibly small. I don't thing you would have an issue getting it into the bag you describe. I tried the EE deal for the same reason you did, could not find one around. The FredT will save you some money, but I will tell you there is something to be said for having the BP show up at your house already configured, especially if there is no one around to show you what to do. I think the FredT with rigging will run about 100, and the EE with rigging is about 190.

After having it for a while I would not hesitate to get a FredT, but for the first one, I was very happy with the EE choice. I think if you took them up on the offer, you would keep it and be happy. I think they are a very good company.

Tommy

Ditto....

1. One of the most compact BC's for packing... nice and neat.

2. I just picked up mine and being a first BP/Wings purchase went the Halcyon MC package as I was not totally sure how to rig it. After fiddling with it for an hour and adjusting to fit, there's nothing to it and could prob put together a rig with just parts. It is sweet and assuring to pick up a complete rig set up, ready to adjust for fitting and dive in....

I actually sold off my Ranger to get the AL b/p and 27lb wing. One of the main reasons was the bulk of the Ranger. Although its a soft pack its still pretty huge. When I did a trip to Thailand that involved checking in my BC, I carried a 70l Deuter backpack and had a lot of problems fitting in the BC, fins, 1.5mm wetsuit etc into the main compartment, managed to in the end though. On the other hand, with a b/p, I just unscrew and separate the components which are then much easier to pack - roll up the wing and put it through the STA tank straps, while the b/p and harness go flat against the back of the bag.

It might not be as compact as the Escape but certainly more so than the Ranger. And performance-wise - there's no comparison.

I don't normally "thread" the harness, since unlike the Halycon my plate has several ways to route it to better fit individual body styles. The fellow with wide shoulders and a wasp waist has a different preffered routing than the lady with narrow shoulder and large thoractic buoyancy reservess, and her routing will be different from the fellow with narrow shoulders and no waist.

If you want things threaded all you need do is ask and I'll see what it take$ to get it done. You'll probably still need to do the final adjustment, but I can get all the bits in the right relative place and a rough adjustment done. I WILL need a high resoulution photo front and back with you in your normal exposure suit and some kind of scale device to make an educated guess as to the best routing for you.

As the signature says, I do CUSTOM gear!

FT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom