The great travel BC topic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I appreciate the notes, will be seriously looking at this in a few weeks after getting back from Looe Key - perhaps I'll be able to take a look at other folks' rigs down there. I'd rather not make a major gear change right before a trip.

DSAO,

Bill

I use a BP/Wing setup, and your welcome to try it out if you want! Just give me a shout and we can get together!

Mark

Bill,

I don't want to sell you on K4SDI (I don't even know him!), but if you've got someone to help you the first time, it will make your life a lot easier in the long run. Grab the opportunity. The way the webbing curves and gyrates can drive you crazy if you've never done it before. And setting the fit (if it's done right) really needs two people-one who knows what they're doing.

Mark,

Do I get a commission??!!:D

Whats 10 percent of nada?

detroit diver once babbled...

Whats 10 percent of nada?

I think it's 90% of adan.

Sorry, I know that one was streching it a little:arrow:

Mark

I just took my bp/wing with me to Bora Bora. It traveled unassembled in my roller duffel with fins, mask, etc. Though the next time I may take the wing off of the bp and try rolling it up. That's a great idea! My regs were in a backpack that I carried on to avoid damage.

In case you were wondering, yes, I was the only one diving a bp/wing setup. But then again, I was the only one diving without weights, had great buoyancy/trim and nothing was dangling.

Woohoo! bp & wings, don't leave home with them.

I came across some interesting weight stats in the German magazine "Tauchen." It lists the "Gewicht über wasser" which I take to mean "weight on the surfact" of the jacket BCs it reviewed as:

Pro Sub Dominator Plus: 3.5 kg
Aqualung Maverik: 3.2 kg
Seeman Sub Blac Jac: 4.0 kg
Seac Sub Pro Tech 3.9 kg
Seaway Mercur: 4.8 kg
Tusa Platina Evolution: 4.2 kg
Cressi sub Safety 111: 4.0 kg
Scubapro Glide 2000: 4.0 kg
Poseidon Pro: 4.1 kg
AP Valves Commando: 3.6 kg
Oceanic Probe: 3.8 kg
Beluga Twin pro: 4.0 kg
Mares Dragonfly Air Trim: 4.5 kg
Seaquest Pro Unlimited: 4.8 kg

Compare this to the absolute weight of SS BP setup

SS BP: 2.3 kg
STA: 1.0 kg
WING: 0.5 kg (maybe less)
Harness: 0.5 kg (maybe less)

Heavy denier counts, layering and all sorts of hardware I guess contribute to the weight (4.8kg max!) and that's not counting all the lead needed to counter the inherent buoyancy for starters. Even the so-called travel BCs they reveiwed in a later issue weighed in at least 2.9 kg.

SS BP combo is all deadweight. No inherent buoyancy.

Happy evaluating.

Kitbuga

Philippines

I am looking for a small bc that I can do extensive traveling with. I only need about 10-12 lbs lift and don't wan't anything with too much material. I am also 6'4" so fit may be a problem. Ever tried hoarse collar BCs? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

There is an 18lb Halcyon wing at eBay at the moment going cheap - couple this with a G.U.T.S aluminum backplate and harness also from eBay, and you have a very light and compact BC for under $250.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
There is an 18lb Halcyon wing at eBay at the moment going cheap - couple this with a G.U.T.S aluminum backplate and harness also from eBay, and you have a very light and compact BC for under $250.

That's a great deal!

Ah yes I have a back plate now but the damn thing is just way to uncomfortable when you are diving without a wet suit or in just a thin microprene.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom