The Halcyon Eclipse single tank wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you ever have problems with the (new) wing again, doesn't the Eclipse have a zipper so you can open it up and inspect the bladder? I would have suggested you do this, but I see you've already returned it.

Check the o-rings for grease before use. I recently had a slight leak with mine that turned out to be the second o-ring on the inner shaft of the inflator bottom had no grease on it. Quick fix but annoying as heck. This is on a brand new wing with just a few dives on it.

I haven't had a chance to look at the new inflator but take a real close look at it. I don't think the seal should be dependant on the lube.

I plan to take it a part the first chance I get to see if anything else could be wrong.

The quick on-site fix did the trick. My first impression was sand or something in it but it was clean as a whistle. The only thing obvious was the o-ring was dry and once greased it held air. I hope this doesn't turn out to be a repetative problem.

Thanks

Picked up my Halcyon Eclipse a week and a half ago, and last night I was able to get in the pool with it for the first time and check out what this was going to be like. I went with my dive buddy and his wife. They used the LDS equipment (standard rental gear) that was included in the pool session.

First impression was it didn't seem all that heavy. I got the SS bp, and I figured I'd still need a few pounds of lead. The last time I did dive, I dove with 24 pounds and no wetsuit. I knew I was way overweighted, so this time I took the time to check it out properly. Imagine my surprise when I realized I didn't need a weight belt at all! :) I'm a super happy camper on this issue.

Assembling the kit was easy. Nothing really different. Two cambands make for a secure fit, but I had issues getting the bands tight. It appeared I couldn't get a solid grip. So I went and dove with the tank "loose", but sure enough, it held just fine. Just my own jitters. Oh, and the steel cambands didn't scratch the painted tanks, either (per another thread). Might be because I still feel it's a bit loose...

Putting on the wing took me a little time, but only because I did it in the water and the belt straps have a tendency to float into hidden areas behind me. I'll get that under control with practice. However, compared to the other two who were putting on jackets, I did it all myself and in half the time they took.

The LDS fitting wasn't right. The crotch strap was way too long, and the shoulders a bit tight once I was underwater and underway. Not bad, it was livable, but I'll need to tweak it a bit.

I bought the 40# wing because I intend to dive locally wet with single steel tanks. I did experience a bit of taco effect, but at 15' I didn't feel the need to use it to compensate. The whole setup was very streamlined, and comfortable underwater. My buddies' bcs were floating up and away from them, but mine stayed right were it belonged, tight and secure.

After this experience, I am totally sold on this kit. I don't expect I'll ever go back to a jacket bc. To anyone who is afraid of getting into something you won't like, relax. A bp/w is everything they said it would be.

Thanks for reading.

There's been two things that I've found out about my Eclipse that I thought I'd share since it might help someone else with the same problems:

1. if your stainless steel LP inflator hose is leaking, the likely cause is some kind of manufacturing defect in the LP inflator. replacing the LP inflator will probably fix it (and newer LP inflators don't seem to have this problem).

2. if your STA (and the tank on your back) is flopping around you want to take out all of the washers and lock washers with the exception of a single lock washer next to the wingnut.

Hope that helps someone...

I got some questions for you all. I dove my new Eclipse this last weekend. I had two problems with it. One was the inflator hose was way shorter than what I was used to. I couldn't operate the dump with my left hand. I wasn't able to graps the button with my left hand. I was wearing a thick wetsuit with thick gloves and I have long arms. Every time I wanted to use the dump I had to use my right hand. The second was finding the rear dump. I realize that they don't put a knob on it to avoid entanglements when diving with stage bottles and such, but if I only do rec diving is there any really good reason not to put a knob on it for rec diving? I realize this isn't DIR so you don't need to remind me. Is this just a familiarization problem or what? My bouyency control isn't great yet and I found myself headed to the surface unable to dump air until I used my right hand. I was doing a shallow dive as I want to get my basic skills and air consumption better before I go deeper.

The Eclipse wing is designed specifically for a certain style of diving. For a typical rec diver used to keeping a slightly heads-up position, the short inflator hose can be a pain. However, keep that name in mind... INFLATOR hose. What do you have on the bottom left of the wing? A DUMP VALVE. Use them for their intended purposes.. but this requires you to maintain a very horizontal position. You'll get used to grabbing the dump valve.. make a big circle with your forefinger and thumb and get them around the valve.. close your fingers and you'll have the string. If you rotate your hand outward you'll make the valve point upwards and get good dumping.

You *will* get used to using the string.

sndt1319:
I got some questions for you all. I dove my new Eclipse this last weekend. I had two problems with it. One was the inflator hose was way shorter than what I was used to. I couldn't operate the dump with my left hand. I wasn't able to graps the button with my left hand. I was wearing a thick wetsuit with thick gloves and I have long arms. Every time I wanted to use the dump I had to use my right hand. The second was finding the rear dump. I realize that they don't put a knob on it to avoid entanglements when diving with stage bottles and such, but if I only do rec diving is there any really good reason not to put a knob on it for rec diving? I realize this isn't DIR so you don't need to remind me. Is this just a familiarization problem or what? My bouyency control isn't great yet and I found myself headed to the surface unable to dump air until I used my right hand. I was doing a shallow dive as I want to get my basic skills and air consumption better before I go deeper.

As it has been explained to me, the issue with the knobs on the pull dumps is that they can get caught and stick the dump open. That is an issue which can affect both rec and tec divers.

Back
Top Bottom