The internet and PDCS: Where does your agency stand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
This past week or so, NAUI came out with their own version of OW e-learning and, of course, claimed that it is "totally different" than everyone else's. To be sure, there are some interesting aspects, but it got me to wondering if there are any agencies who have yet to adopt this kind of internet based learning?

Also, NAUI made it very clear that they also allow PDC training in lieu of tables. So here is the beginning table for us to start to keep track of all this. I know what is required by only three agencies, so please keep adding.

[table 2,2] OW Agency|Tables Optional?|E-Learning Available
BASC|No|???
CMAS|No|???
NAUI|Yes|Yes
PADI|Yes|Yes
SEI|No|No
SDI|Yes (first)|Yes (first)
SSI|Yes |Yes
UTD|No|Yes[/table]

Last edited:
This past week or so, NAUI came out with their own version of OW e-learning and, of course, claimed that it is "totally different" than everyone else's. To be sure, there are some interesting aspects, but it got me to wondering if there are any agencies who have yet to adopt this kind of internet based learning?

Also, NAUI made it very clear that they also allow PDC training in lieu of tables. So here is the beginning table for us to start to keep track of all this. I know what is required by only three agencies, so please keep adding.

[table 2,2] OW Agency|Tables Optional?|E-Learning Available
NAUI|Yes|Yes
PADI|Yes|Yes
SDI|Yes|Yes [/table]

I don't agree with the tables optional approach, I think tables should be taught as they are a valuable skill, both tables and dive computer can be taught and tables especially should in my opinion.

While I appreciate your opinion, did you even realize that PDCs only was even an option with NAUI? I don't think most NAUI instructors do. It is hoped that other instructors from other agencies will chime in with their requirements.

Are you sure the PDC option is accurate? All of the NAUI Scuba Diver education systems still include dive tables and all NAUI tests still include questions on the tables.

Jeff

For NAUI dive table theory must be taught and the written exam does include table questions- so a student must still know how to use them but during the open water portion of the course a dive computer may be used to plan dives if it is a computer owned by the student.

SEI Tables are not optional. PDC's are. I discuss computers but for new OW divers we plan and go by tables. I do not have computers for students and the shop whose gear I use does not normally include them in the OW checkout gear. Tables are required for all classes I teach including specialties and I have a table refresher session in each one. If someone wants to buy a comp I'll help them to get used to it. And I have SEI, YMCA,NAUI,PADI, IANTD, and Navy tables. So if someone who wants to take a class that uses other than SEI I'm good to go to stay with what they are used to. I plan on picking up SSI and SDI in the near future.

On that note if anyone has an old set around they want to get rid of (from the agencies I don;t have) shoot me a PM.

Are you sure the PDC option is accurate? All of the NAUI Scuba Diver education systems still include dive tables and all NAUI tests still include questions on the tables.

Jeff
I actually asked Chad Barbay just prior to posting this, and he read me the part where it states that PDCs can be taought in lieu of tables, IF the student owned a PDC. I asked him point blank if tables have to be taught at all, and his response was "no".

In fact, in the new e-learning apparently you can block areas of learning from your student including tables. I do remember that as a Gander Mountain Instructor, NAUI allowed us to use Dan Nafe's materials and to exclude the use of tables as we saw fit. This was a special agreement between Divers Direct, Gander Mountain and NAUI and the former has since embraced SSI.

No and the way our program is set up I doubt we ever will. At least I will be very strong in my opposition to it. Our standards require 32 hours of face to face instruction. 16 pool and 16 classroom. There is a 24 hour option but that is with the stipulation that more time is spent instructing during the check out dives. Ie I can do the environment and perhaps some of the planning lectures on site. I can also add and require more actual skills in the water.

For example if I spent 24 hours before arriving at the checkout site we cannot get there at 8 do two half hour dives and leave and repeat the next day. It is strongly advised that we do not go for the 24 hour option. We are constantly evaluating standards being a new agency. But to this point we have been moving in the direction of increasing requirements when it comes to skills and knowledge.

Everyone recognizes that this may have the effect of reducing our student pool in some cases. In others it is actually increasing it. My next OW class is not starting until mid June. The one I have now(starting next week) is full as of yesterday. 4 of the students from my next class will be driving an hour and half each way twice a week for 6 weeks. I am giving them a break on cost for doing this as the good will and my rep will only benefit from it. But they are doing it solely because of the higher standards and the way my classes are conducted. That is the way I want it. My OW class limit is 5 students and I will break that up for checkouts if conditions warrant.

I'm fortunate to not have to do this for a living. I'd like one other OW class before the end of the season around here (mid october) and other than that I'd prefer to stop there with OW. AOW and specialties do not require as much time so I'll keep pushing those and doing them as long as they do not interfere with my fun diving for me.

Jim,

The "No" has been added.

I am certain that you are proud of your classes and your standards. Perhaps start another thread on how superior your training is over everyone else's. I want to keep this one on topic. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom