The Isolation Manifold, lessons not learned and a small defence of the IUCRR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Turning a valve behind one's head is not all that intuitive. When my wife and I were first learning to dive doubles and do valve drills she struggled with it. In one instance, she checked her isolator before our dive, just as we made a habit of doing, and found it was closed. Well, of course it was actually open, and she closed it before we dived. Fortunately, our dive was a practice dive on a shallow platform in a lake. It was a great lesson for both of us. After that experience, I got ahold of a "practice valve"--a cheap plastic water valve--and helped her learn which way to turn the valve no matter what orientation I held it in behind her head. That experience made me realize that even with practice, it may never become completely intuitive for everyone, and mistakes can be made.
That's why I use right-hand-rule/left-hand-rule (righty tighty - lefty loosy). If I'm tired, I pause to think.

one of those valves is in the opposite direction as usual
Lefty-loosey applies to both, but somehow it gets messed up.

Even a normal orientation valve, though, on a single. I've had the tank shut off, no quarter turn back, by deck hands. I ALWAYS run my tank high enough to reach the valve and check it if I feel them grab it.

I have a cheap pair of adjustable wrenches I don't use,
they adjust backwards,,
Talk about frustrating...
Reminds me I should throw those away...
I've run into those, talk about frustrating. They were all made in Indonesia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom