The Isolation Manifold, lessons not learned and a small defence of the IUCRR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We here how memory muscle is so important in every other aspect of diving...
it think it should apply to turning valves as well.
You can always use the house faucet to practice... when the water is run on your neck it's on.🤣

We could try changing the isolator to a 1/4 turn valve... but some how I think that will cause more problems... 🤔
Like which way to turn it😁😁
Thats a decent idea... Flat "knob" for grip and to be able to tell if its closed or open.

I can’t think of a finer example of a task that needs muscle memory and practice.

Using the stop on a valve to indicate it’s position instead of just inherently knowing which way to turn for open or closed sounds extremely dangerous to me.

I can bet you that a serious percent, 10% for the sake of the argument, divemasters and instructors that work on cattle boats don't know how to open valves, so they fiddle with everyone's when they leave the boat and leave it half open or worse close it by accident. And those are people that open hundreds of valves weekly.
It's a skill that requires muscle memory, and muscle memory is something that needs to be practiced from time to time to retain.

Turning a valve behind one's head is not all that intuitive.

Spend enough time working with machinery and it becomes reflexive. Finger tips just act without any perceived thinking. Mechanics, machinists, submariners, and saturation diving crew are a few examples.

Two handle hot/cold water faucets are the enemy of developing the skill.

Spend enough time working with machinery and it becomes reflexive. Finger tips just act without any perceived thinking. Mechanics, machinists, submariners, and saturation diving crew are a few examples.

Two handle hot/cold water faucets are the enemy of developing the skill.
I have a cheap pair of adjustable wrenches I don't use,
they adjust backwards,,
Talk about frustrating...
Reminds me I should throw those away...

I have a cheap pair of adjustable wrenches I don't use,
they adjust backwards,,
Talk about frustrating...
Reminds me I should throw those away...
Turn them over, then they adjust the other direction.

A mechanics hands already know which direction to rotate based on the how the wrench is held. There were some "backwards" wrenches like some on a DSV I was on that were made in France. Funny thing; they all decided to take a swim in the North Sea at the same time.

Its call memory muscle... I instinctively know which way to turn it no matter how it sits in my hand...
If 25+ years ago when I was all thumbs and I learned only with the backwards adjustable it would be fine..
but since there is a standard for every other adjustable that I pick up it is the same, its very hard to break the habit...

(this is the only set that I have ever come across that's backwards)

If someone held a gun to your significant others head and said turn this manifold in the correct direction the first time or I shoot them, and you believed the threat to be significant I'm guessing it's slightly better than a coinflip on average for someone to be able to do it under duress. I've watched well trained shooters and and fighters make simple mistakes when asked to perform skills they've preformed well 1000s of times the first time they are under real stress. Making those mistakes less likely to happen is part of human factors that everyone wants to talk about until it's time to change how things are actually done or it challenges what they currently do.

Let's say you have 30 seconds to solve a problem, you have 1 way that solves the problem 100% correctly in 20 seconds, and one way that solves the problem correctly 70% of the time in 5 seconds, but the other 30% of the time it takes an additional 30 seconds or is never resolved correctly, which is a pretty way of solving that problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom