The lovely topic of Tanks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I had unlimited monies, I'd replace all my LP steel tanks with the 3442 equivalents. MOST of the shops I go to will "properly" fill a LP tank to 3600, but every once in a while I need a fill elsewhere and the shop won't fill past 2640. Pain in the ass.

I am with AJ 200%. With HP tank, you are officially and legally entitle to get 3442. Being able to fill LP tank to HP pressure is very nice, and it does happen in certain part of the country consistently, but out side of that area, it may not happen as often as you want to. In US, it is mostly because of liability reason.

If I had unlimited monies, I'd replace all my LP steel tanks with the 3442 equivalents. MOST of the shops I go to will "properly" fill a LP tank to 3600, but every once in a while I need a fill elsewhere and the shop won't fill past 2640. Pain in the ass.

I am with AJ 200%. With HP tank, you are officially and legally entitle to get 3442. Being able to fill LP tank to HP pressure is very nice, and it does happen in certain part of the country consistently, but out side of that area, it may not happen as often as you want to. In US, it is mostly because of liability reason.

Are you two referring to volume equivalant or rated Cuft equivalant?

Im a larger person, so I dont mind LP 121's, however i am under no illusion that everyone elses back can handle that load.

I have AL80s and HP100s and have dove LP95s. So far, I like them all about the same. I'm still a bit of a gas hog so I blow through an 80 pretty quickly, but they're nice for warm water diving. (I dive mostly locally or in FL).

I dove the steel LP95s in Santa Barbara and found them to be fairly comparable to my AL80s as far as weight and trim requirements but they gave me a little more gas for use in cold water (where I breath faster) and to explore more stuff in an unfamiliar environment.

The HP100s definitely trim out differently but I bought them for the specific purpose of doing deeper dives on a single tank. They are shorter and slightly heavier than the AL80s when full but remain negative when empty, which means less lead I have to wear on my non-existent waist.

I'd probably go for the AL80s as my general shallow, warm water choice but will be leaning on the 100s from now on for any cold water or deeper diving.

In the end, the choice has so many factors that it's hard to say what is right for a given person. My suggestion would be to try out a few different ones for a few dives and see how they feel on you. Keep good records of your dives for weight, comfort, etc and then pick the best choice for your most common dives.

Are you two referring to volume equivalant or rated Cuft equivalant?

Im a larger person, so I dont mind LP 121's, however i am under no illusion that everyone elses back can handle that load.

For me, it is the rated CuFT. Not every shop around me is willing to cave fill LP tanks. But every shop is willing to fill HP tank to 3442.

Physical size wise, I am happy with both 7.25" and 8" length from 24" (HP100) to AL80 (27"). I prefer not go shorter or longer.

---------- Post added May 13th, 2014 at 02:37 PM ----------

My preference is this if cost is not an issue

cold water (5mm wetsuit +) single tank: Steel tanks. Pick the physical size according to your preference, and go with HP tank if you can.
warm water (3mm wetsuit or less) single tank: AL80

double with drysuit: steel, HP prefer.
double with wetsuit: AL80

I have mainly steel tanks, but have 2 AL80's because of a deal I couldn't refuse. I like the steels because I wear a lot of neoprene when I dive up here, so I swap out steel for lead.

2 - AL80
1 - double 72's
4 - 72's (2 of which I may double or sell)
1 - LP95 my boat tank
1 - HP100
2 - HP120

I do have 3 AL80's and double AL63's of the "bad" alloy which I haven't had the heart to scrap yet.

The 72's are cheap and I like them at the lake when I don't have a long walk to change tanks. When the water is warm, I like diving with no wetsuit or BC between the thermocline and the surface. They give a reasonable amount of air doubled and always trim out nice single and double. Great for a shorter dive.

The LP95 is great on the boats where they refill on board. My experience has been that HP tanks wind up about 3000 max, unless topped off later, and the LP tanks are filled right the first time.

HP100 is the new 72 except for the price.

When I get more diving in on them I'll figure out the HP120. I liked one when I tried it out, the 95 gave me practice in horsing around a heavy tank, and I do like all the air.

I do have 3 AL80's and double AL63's of the "bad" alloy which I haven't had the heart to scrap yet.

If I was tankless and on a budget, I would get two 80's so I could at least make a couple of reasonable dives before looking for a fill. Around here the water and dive shops are not close together.

Bob
---------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet

Last edited:
I have another set if in order, Faber 3L. Easy to carry around, and last a long time on the rebreather!

I love my HP100s but I have had trouble getting them filled up to the rated pressure from time to time.

Here’s what I have encountered.

Tennessee - Will hot fill to 3442, but will top them off to rated pressure after they cool down if you leave them and come back.

Broward County Florida – Nice fills and you may get a couple hundred extra PSI at a couple shops

Cave Country – Nice fills…similar to Broward

Key Largo – Lucky to get 3100 PSI after they cool down

Middle Keys – Lucky to get 3100 PSI and Nitrox isn’t always available

Key West – Tough to get good Nitrox Fills to rated pressure, and some shops require the big ass “Nitrox Only” decal even if your tanks are O2 clean and the proper hole is punched on the Visual sticker.

I picked up a pair of HP100's for $200, still in hydro. I'd love to dive them if I could ever pry them from my instructor's paws!! I also have a set of HP130's that are nice to dive when I don't feel like coming up to the boat. I'm pretty strong, so I can handle them easily. They're not for everyone though.

If an Al80 (or 63) will meet your gas needs, they are real hard to beat. They are not too expensive, easily filled, and have no rust problems. I have one HP100 for when 80 cu ft just is not enough. It carried a higher price tag than AL and has had to be tumbled twice in the last 8 years. Actually, I'm not sure the tumble was necessary but the shop makes the call.

Sure, steel has better buoyancy characteristics but nothing that 4 to 6 pounds of lead attached to tank straps can't correct.

Back
Top Bottom