The Mighty O is down..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dude...... :D

I only wish we had been able to get it off the Texas coast. Oh, well...I'll travel.

Based on video I watched of the sinking, it looks like the ship is going to settle completely on it's side or pitched at about a 60% angle. It looks doubtful that it will settle straight up.

I went out today and watched her sink. Everyone is pretty sure she went down on her side, but we won't know for sure until later today. She was supposed to take up to 5 hours to sink, but she went down in slightly more than 30 minutes. When they blew the explosives, parts of her went 200 feet above the superstructure. In other words, they used too much explosives and lost control of the sink. She was supposed to settle evenly, but went down stern first, then with the bow up in the air, she listed to starbord and went down. It was a real bummer.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12836731/

I seem to recall someone saying that if she were to go down on her side she would be sticking up out of the water because she's so wide. The fact that nothing's sticking out of the water has to be a good sign.

LG Diver:
I seem to recall someone saying that if she were to go down on her side she would be sticking up out of the water because she's so wide. The fact that nothing's sticking out of the water has to be a good sign.

Nonsense, She's 130' wide sitting in 220' water, if she's completely on her side she'll have at least 90' clearance.

Florabama:
When they blew the explosives, parts of her went 200 feet above the superstructure. In other words, they used too much explosives and lost control of the sink.

Interesting. We were speculating at work what went wrong, and my thought was that there may have been a failure of the superstructure - as in a huge part of the hull was blown off. To go from a 5 hour planned sink to completely down in 35 minutes, massive amounts of water had to be rushing in, much more than they calculated.

ReefHound:
Nonsense, She's 130' wide sitting in 220' water, if she's completely on her side she'll have at least 90' clearance.

My bad. That's what I get for listening to people on this board. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom