The Most Dangerous Sea Creature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman:
Tagging a single critter as "most dangerous" in the ocean is silly. If it were so easy to decide, we'd all know it by now. Here's a list of known contenders for the title, right off the top of my head:

a. oceanic whitetip shark
b. tiger shark
c. great white shark
d. walrus
e. box jelly (Chironex)
f. Pfiesteria (flesh eating bacteria)
g. cone snail
h. saltwater crocodile

These can all kill you fairly quick. I didn't include things that er... work on you slow.

Acutally, its pretty easy to call an animal (calling it a "critter" is just silly!) the most dangerous, just look at the number of deaths per year it causes. Lets see, that would eliminate a-d & g (low # of deaths per year), and lets eliminate f since Pfiesteria is a dinoflagellate (not a bacteria), and there is debate whether those are animals. And that leaves us with box jelly and saltwater crocodile as contenders.

archman:
Tagging a single critter as "most dangerous" in the ocean is silly. If it were so easy to decide, we'd all know it by now. Here's a list of known contenders for the title, right off the top of my head:

a. oceanic whitetip shark
b. tiger shark
c. great white shark
d. walrus
e. box jelly (Chironex)
f. Pfiesteria (flesh eating bacteria)
g. cone snail
h. saltwater crocodile

These can all kill you fairly quick. I didn't include things that er... work on you slow.

What really scares me? - another diver with a loaded speargun pointed in my direction!!!

You missed one of the most dangerous: Fireworms

scottfiji:
since Pfiesteria is a dinoflagellate (not a bacteria), and there is debate whether those are animals. .

You should know full well by now Scott not to clarify the inaccuracies of common names. You'll be doing it till you're blue in the face, and the name will still be there, mocking you.

Nobody says "flesh-eating dinoflagellates".

Not to be too political, philosophical or anything like, but i think man is the greatest threat to sea creatures and himself! Personally i am more worried about how man is going to screw the place up more than a few critters in the sea - i avoid those and dont stick hands/fingers out or annoy any critters, if i dont bother them, 99.9% of the time they wont bother me. There is also the stupidity of man when it comes to choices they make and that kills often too :wink:

US!!!

More deaths are caused by diving accidents vs. anything that involves an animal.... :eyebrow:

Ron

scottfiji:
Acutally, its pretty easy to call an animal (calling it a "critter" is just silly!) the most dangerous, just look at the number of deaths per year it causes. Lets see, that would eliminate a-d & g (low # of deaths per year), and lets eliminate f since Pfiesteria is a dinoflagellate (not a bacteria), and there is debate whether those are animals. And that leaves us with box jelly and saltwater crocodile as contenders.

Pretty fishies. Pretty, pretty fishies.

archman:
You should know full well by now Scott not to clarify the inaccuracies of common names. You'll be doing it till you're blue in the face, and the name will still be there, mocking you.

Nobody says "flesh-eating dinoflagellates".

Man-o-Manachevitz what a tale of agony. The wife saying "I told you so" is classic. Remember that behind evey good man there is a woman saying your wrong! By the way, I think a black patch over the eye would go well with the new scar. It's a chic magnet thing. Good luck on the recovery!

simbrooks:
Not to be too political, philosophical or anything like, but i think man is the greatest threat to sea creatures and himself!
You win. By a landslide. :10:

. . . but ya gotta choose from the list !!!!!

. . . ya just gotta.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom