The most dangerous thing in the water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darol

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
This is just an observation from a very recent dive trip.
As we sat talking on the dive boat, we heard a hissing noise
coming from this rental gear regulator. The would be user of this
equipment slid back the hose protector to reveal the 2nd stage hose
was cracked and leaking very badly. This person asked the crew for a
differnent regulator, no other regulators were on-board. I offered my back
up Sherwood Brut, which had just been serviced prior to the trip, which was
gladly accepted. I then started to notice the condition of other rental gear
being used on the trip. A bit scary to say the least. I will not mention the name
of this dive operation, as this is not the purpose. I must say the rental gear being
used was the most dangerous thing in the water on this day.

Darol

I so Agree with the tittle of your post....

As a new diver..... Years ago.... I had or was still renting my gear.

On my 22nd dive ... Girlfriend and I where at 35-40 feet (Breakwater Monterey CA), I took a nice fresh breath of cool clean air.. Exhaled and took the next would be breath... It was a mouth full of water..... Saltwater I might add..... I then grabbed my alternate and got my next breath, I then looked down to see three parts of my reg lying in the sand, She and I gathered the peices and called the dive.

On the surface, We approched our instructor, showed him what happend, He then told owner of the LDS That he needed to update his rental gear before someone got killed.

I did not even get my rental fee back!!:11:

I bought ALL of my own new gear that very same day!!!

snip......I bought ALL of my own new gear that very same day!!! .......snip

I hope not from that shop:D

No spare kit on board? Amazing.
I personally carry the tools and ensure that the boat I work from has a full set (or 2) of spare kit, a save a dive kit and all the other bits.
Our rental kit is serviced and checked every month at least.
I am in Thailand! Where in the world were you?

I'll take the middle ground and state the most dangerous things in the water are divers dumb enough to get in the water with bad rental gear.

It's been a long time since I rented (20 plus years) but apparently divers today do not check the condition of rental gear before they even leave the shop.

A smart rental diver will check the equipment for decent condition and proper sizing before accepting it and a good shop will have a tank by the rental counter to allow you to hook up the reg and ensure it works and breathes to your satisfaction. Blame the shop all you want but even though it may be justified the diver is still the person who accepted the crappy equipment and walked out the dooor with it.

This was in Mexico. I didn't post to dish anyone, just to make others aware.
Your comments ring very true. Well said.

Darol

For me, it was:

1. Torn mouthpiece, cancun, mexico, at 2 different dive ops.
2. Leaky 2nd stage, torn mouth piece, plus leaky BC, causing the DM to trade his reg and BC in Free Port, Bahamas.
3. Leaky BC, corrected with tightening inflator hose base, torn dump valve string, sticky dump valve, loose 2nd stage cap - Florida facility (see my post earlier).

Seems like a regular occurence, with nearly 50% of rental gears .... Most were easy fixes (bad O ring, loose inflator hose, torn mouthpiece, loose reg cap). But many could have cause diver panic at the surface or below. At least for me. I respect the dive ops that only send divers out with nearly new gears, or old but well maintained gears....... Shows that they care.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom