the most surprised you've been on a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving the Zenobia in Cyprus. Looked up to see something enormous, had quite a primitive response, my initial thought was I'm going to get eaten. It turned out to be...

a submarine!

P27_zps21805c93.jpg

I was surprised once on a night dive in the North of Spain by seeing a squid coming closer to us and hunting a fish! Very unexpected National Geographic kind of moment.

And I'm always surprised when I see divers running out of gas...

Local solo shore dive in poor conditions..vis at best 8' and surgy. I keep my head on a swivel as usual and when i look back to my right a decent sized reefie materialized fast running parallel to me...it stopped by my face..waaay too close for my liking and I then pushed it away with my hand held reel.
It moved away and turned toward me again and then I motioned like I was going to push it again. He took off at that point.

Sent from my iPhone from my momma's basement

To a certain extent I've always been expecting the unexpected while diving, since even with several hundred dives I still tend to feel that diving offers a lot of new experiences. Perhaps the two things that came the closest to actually surprising me were times that I've accidentally fed something.

The first was watching some small fish during a night dive, and suddenly having a lion fish dart in from the edge of my light. If you've never seen it happen, it's amazingly fast. One instant there was a 3' fish in front of me and the next instant it had been replaced by the lion fish. The other time was in no more than 3' of water at the very end of another night (shore) dive. I was laying in the sand watching some tube anemones, when they started feasting on the tiny critters that were attracted to my dive light.
View attachment 185570

Then there's this unexpected moment (sorry- lousy scan from 35mm slide):

Spot-foot.jpg

That's "Spot", a wild dolphin that hung around Cayman Brac for a bit back around 2000 or so. He showed up for several of our dives, and on one he stuck his snout under my foot and tried to lift me up.

Attachments

• DSCN2824sm.jpg
    DSCN2824sm.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 390
Having a cormorant divebomb me during a safety stop..dont know who was more suprised and rolling off a RIB almost ontop of a silky shark. And seeing a croc swishing its tail as it swam by...i didnt like that suprise.

Mine was the first time I encountered a strong underwater current at the wreck of the Rhone. I was swimming from the bow back up and to the dinghy when I stopped to take a picture and was pushed backward. Not remarkable just a surprise.

We were on our first dive at Malpelo, pretty much an "all about sharks" destination. Early in the dive, still on a shallow slope, my wife pointed over my shoulder, and I turned to see about three meters of Galapagos shark slowly cruising past me, close enough to touch, with no interest whatsoever in the two of us. Hello!

I like telling this story. I was not surprised but the two divers I was leading were as it was their first night dive. I took them out to the old motorboat and as we got to it I let them go in front to explore it. They were fully briefed on the boat but it seems I forgot to mention the very life like mannequin in the wheel house.

Doing a shallow dive on the Bruce Peninsula to see the dilapidated hulk of the Gargantua, I was dive bombed by two beavers in 8 feet of water. Apparently their lodge was on the shipwreck, which sticks up out of the water. Beavers sure move fast under water.

the incredible stupidity and blatant disregard for personal safety by some divers never ceases to astonish me!

Back
Top Bottom