The Natives are restless at Old Garden Beach....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beaker

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
(I was forwarded this via email)

from Gloucester daily times

By JOSH ODELL

Staff writer

ROCKPORT -- Like many of her neighbors, resident Sharon Kishida has had a hard time enjoying Old Garden Beach lately. And like many of her neighbors, she says it's not hard to see why.

With its well-known yet small sections of ocean access, the beach has managed to attract increasing masses of scuba divers to the area, resulting in clogged parking and limited use for nearby families.

"The charm of this beach is really that it's so important to families," Kishida said. "The flavor of the beach has changed. It's not so much fun to go down there."

In response to waves of such complaints at last night's selectmen's meeting, members of the town's Old Garden Beach Association and town officials will soon meet to discuss how to handle the situation.

The group's target will be the town's present commercial permitting process, which currently allows the Department of Public Works to issue permits to visiting commercial groups, such as diving organizations, with the intent of boosting the local economy.

The problem with that, say the policy's opponents, is not only that the criteria for assigning such permits are limited at best, but also that such groups in actuality contribute little to the local economy while crowding and disrupting local areas like Old Garden Beach.

"This small neighborhood is not suited for commercial use of this nature," said Norwood Avenue resident Carol Delaney.

Old Garden Beach Association president Richard Morris -- who pointed out that the association has undertaken many civic projects in the area, from spring cleanups to ramp and stair repairs -- expressed concerns with the permitting process and said he and Delaney will work with the selectmen to help clear up the issue.

Morris and Delaney will be working on solutions to the issue with Selectman Nicola Barletta, a resident of the Old Garden Beach area who has seen what many others have seen in recent months.

"I've talked to most of (the divers), and they're very nice people," Barletta said. "There are just too many of them."

Barletta added that he has spoken about the permits with DPW representatives, who said that they are assigned for multiple activities -- not just diving -- to keep outside groups actively coming to town. Painters, for example, frequently ask for such permits.

"I think the problem is in the interpretation," said Barletta.

One major difficulty, said DPW senior field coordinator George Robertson, is that many groups who show up at the beaches do not even get permits, and even the ones that do have permits show up in unpredictable numbers.

"We have no idea how many people are going to show up," Robertson said, noting that advice from town counsel might be helpful in crafting clearer regulations. "We need help legally."

Because the state has classified the town's beaches as open to the public, Selectwoman Joanne Wile said that making some kind of regulation against diving classes -- not diving in general -- might be a positive step.

"It's all in the wording," she said. "If you get the right words, you can control it."

Recent research from Delaney showed that Old Garden Beach -- commonly touted as a prime diving location by several New England diving Web sites -- is booked for seven weekends between June and August for commercially sponsored shore dives.

In terms of enforcing present regulations, Police Chief Tom McCarthy said that groups without permits and parking violators are punished as often as possible, particularly on the busy weekends, under the watch of Sgt. Douglas MacMillin.

"He has been aggressively enforcing anything he sees down there," McCarthy said.

One problem, said McCarthy, is because most of the complaints come on weekends, the department only has two officers on the road that can handle arising issues.

That's why the solution to the problem, said Delaney, has to center around limiting commercial use of the beach.

Adding weight to the neighborhood's cause, Delaney presented the selectmen last night with a list of negative impacts such diving groups have had on the area. In addition to blocking the beach's ramp and "disturbing the peace" with large caravans of automobiles that arrive as early as 5:30 a.m., the diving groups clog the "resident only" parking areas -- and accept the $15 fines -- to the point that residents can't use the area, Delaney said.

In the past, said Delaney, divers have also offended neighbors by changing clothes in open areas, drinking alcohol on the premises and even using the bushes as bathrooms.

"If you were to walk through, you'd see a very unpleasant sight of human excrement and toilet paper that's been left there," Delaney said.

With issues such as those in mind, Selectmen Chairman Charles Clark invited the group of volunteers to research the situation with the help of town officials and town counsel to come up a plan that can be implemented as soon as possible.

"It seems like we have all the right tools," Clark said. "The thing is we won't know without testing how those tools will stand up."

I have to say that I don't blame the residents for feeling this way. I have seen groups of 25+ divers show up at old garden as part of BOW classes.

I'm not sure what the answer is. Everyone deserves to have access to the water, but with such high volume in a relatively small space.......

One idea would be to get some of the shops/groups who use this site involved...perhaps offer to lead OBG above/underwater clean-up efforts once/twice a year, etc.

I agree...OGB may not be the best location for open water classes. Limiting all diver access would upset me.

While people do use the little bushes over there to pee in, I have NEVER seen:
...a very unpleasant sight of human excrement and toilet paper that's been left there

and I have something like 20 dives at that site in the last year.

Soggy once bubbled...

While people do use the little bushes over there to pee in, I have NEVER seen... "a very unpleasant sight of human excrement and toilet paper that's been left there"

Soggy should know, he seems to spend a lot of time in those bushes. :wink:

I can't speak about the early morning weekend rush (which I purposely avoid), I've never seen more than 7 divers there on weekdays or weekend afternoons. I know that when we night dive there, we are very quiet after 8 pm. Us small groups of divers do frequent local business for snacks/meals -- which seems to be a big issue in this article.

As for alcohol, Rockport is a dry town and we should respect that... or at least decant it into a plastic cup and keep the beer bottles well out of sight. As for changing in public, maybe it would be more acceptable if people changed out of bathing suits down on the beach. Though I've never seen people running around naked on the street.

I guess dive shops/training centers *should* have a vested interest in keeping/salvaging a good relationship with the locals. Unfortunately, we all know how that first weekend of open water is never a gracious or quiet affair. I like the idea of beach & u/w cleanups. But what about other things to play nice with the locals: move the "cattle dives" to a more reasonable hour -- the divers might thank you also. Encourage divers to lunch in downtown Rockport. Don't partk in the resident lot... there is decent side street parking there within 3 (rather short) blocks. Carry out what you carry in.

I haven't been around the classes, but the small groups of "private" divers also seem very respectful of the residents, the area, and the resources. I love to hear some LDS employee's takes on this... Chuck??

You asked for my take on this Mer, and I will give it...

I have done five or six weekends of Open Water dives this year at Old Garden Beach. WHen we are there, we have approx. anywhere from 8-12 divers in our group. We try not to overcrowd, so we send some groups to Pebble Beach also. We never have more than 12 or 15 total at Old Garden Beach. When I was there, I also saw groups from Mass Diving, United DIvers, and PG dive. That means approx 50 OW students at the beach from four different training facilities. And, thats a typical summer weekend. We were all courteous to the locals, and eachother, nobody from these groups makes a mess that I saw, I have never seen any human excrement in the bushes with TP.

I think this is another instance of the People Of Rockport trying to get the Ocean back for just themselves. They are going to try to limit access for anyone that is a non-resident. They are blatantly making up stories to try to make divers look bad.

This is not just a dive shop issue, this is any divers issue that wants to dive from shore, and the beach in particular. All of us should be outraged that they are thinking of doing something to limit our access. This is ridiculous.

I work in the dive industry, as an instructor, as many of you know. There are not too many places you can bring OW divers to for OW dives. This is just a matter of logistics. Back Beach is always crazy too with divers. Out of state people, coming from CT and NH to dive, (and these are diveshops too) and do OW dives with their students. There is just alot of divers getting certified, and not enough places to do OW dives.

The people of Rockport just need to learn to share the Ocean and play nice. We are. Whats their excuse, because they live there? Well, I'm sorry, but its not THEIR Ocean.

I can smell LAWSUIT if they really want to limit just the DIVE SHOPs access to the water. This whole issue just really irritates me that they have the gall to put something like that in the paper, and start talking about trying to limit access. They must not know how many divers and dive shops they are going to piss off.

Thanks for your perspective Chuck... I wanted to here first hand what an early weekend morning looked (and sounded) like at OGB.

Okay, so if the residents are making this up or overexagerating things... how do we combat this?

The first thing that comes to mind is writing an editorial in response to this article and sending it in to the Gloucester Daily. I think we need to fight their fire by addressing the specific arguements they make, which as I read it are:
1) Large groups of loud, early AM dive classes
2) Trash and Human Waste
3) Non-residents parking in resident parking
4) Economic stimulation
5) Disturbing behavior: i.e. alcohol, changing

If we can address these issues like civilized people, then we can reduce or nullify their arguement. I'm not saying that all of these are a dive shop issues, for every single diver is doing (or hurting) PR for the entire diving community. We each have to try to be as courteous as possible; and residents of xyz town need to acknowledge that we have a right (as MA taxpayers, humans) to access the water.

I think that dive shops need to get more actively involved in this (especially if it escalates) since many of the arguements raised in the article are in reference to permits, economic stimulation, and large groups of divers -- all generally dive shop issues.

Like I said before, we all need to do our part and respect that our favorite dive sites are in their backyards. Proximety does not mean ownership and exclusivity, but does demand respect. Just like I'd expect that Rockport Hunters who hunt in the state forest that is MY backyard, will respect my proximety. Giving them respect does potentially mean compromise. Compromise means following the rules and parking regulations even though that may be an inconvenience -- we all can work on that.

One of the most obvious questions I have is: why do dive shops schedule dives so early? Maybe if the shops staggered their class times, there would be less congestion.

As for the economic stimulus thing, I'd start saving reccepts for anything I buy in Rockport... just in case.

Now I'd write this letter, but I obviously don't know enough about how dive classes and their logistics work.

sorry about the novel

Well, the early morning starts are usually due to the instructor's desire to get home at a decent time. Meeting at CAD at 8AM, I'll usually get home anywhere from 2-4 PM after helping with a class. And I'm only going to Arlington, most of the folks I'm with are coming from the Worcester area. The later you start, the later you get home.

We (the instructors I'm with & other DMs) always address the issue of going to a beach with residents living nearby by telling this to the students, along with a request to keep it down at 8AM etc. I've never felt the folks that are at the beach with us have been much of a nuicense. We also keep everyone together at the beach to avoid the 'sprawl' of taking over a beach. (This goes for any beach we goto on Cape Ann, not just Old Garden).

As far as the parking, that's ALL on the divers, you really can't blame it on the residents. In the past we've gotten the OK from an officer going by to load/unload in the resident lot; we've also been chased out of it. For parking once we're unloaded (esp when we have a class), we'll drive over to the school on the other side of 127A, and shuttle everyone back, leaving me to find a closer spot to park or to walk back. More efficient, no hassles of parking on the street, and a nice big parking lot to boot. Perhaps a map on the side by the ramp at OGB is in order to point this out to the other divers is in order.

As far as trash, I hope all divers take with them whatever they bring, but I can't guarentee that's the case. So we'll usually try and fill a bag with any garbage in the area. Takes 5 minutes at the end, and hopefully we leave the area cleaner than we started. Who cares whether the garbage is yours; residents see you leave an area, and they walk past it later seeing garbage; therefore you left the garbage.

I've heard of some sites in N. California (e.g. Monterey) where it's so crowded, towns have resorted to making reservations to dive some of more popular spots.. Don't know how they administer this but controls help to ease crowding..

Anyone else ever hear of something like this?

I understand Chuck's perspective....but at the same time, if you lived in that area, would you want 50 divers showing up to use that small beach every weekend? It can get frustrating living in a tourist destination -- you have to put up with all the traffic in town every weekend, divers taking over your quiet beach......life is tough living in a million $ house on the water.....;-)

I think you have to be careful not to be too indignant here. Although they can't technically limit your ability to be on the beach, the town could take other measures as they've already hinted at in the article (requiring permits for classes, limiting the numer of permits per day, cracking down on parking, etc.). Although divers won't like it, the town will take care of its residents' concerns long before it worries about divers. Yelling louder will only serve to piss them off.

Unfortunately, you are not going to be able to ensure that every diver is polite, quiet and does not leave trash on the beach. I've seen plenty of examples of people not on their best behavior to know that this won't go away (not just BOW students and not just at OGB). The excrement story sounds like a bunch of BS (and who's to say a diver did it), but the point remains that if you have large groups of folks there, there will be some impact on the site.

Again, I don't have any great ideas about how to reach a reaonable compromise.....but it helps to understand both sides of the argument before taking any action.

Mer -- as to why some people dive early......once you're married and have kids, you have limited allotted dive time...;-). My buddy and I usually meet at 7AM when we dive on Cape Ann.

large_diver once bubbled...

Again, I don't have any great ideas about how to reach a reaonable compromise.....

I think whats going to happen will be the institution of a permit process. This will have to be regulated much more stringently than before, and you will see Rockport Police asking divers to leave OGB, and its going to get ugly.

Its just sad that the town government will be deciding who gets to go to the beach on a particular weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom