The new Freedom Contour - The Rolex of backplates.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No Lie! Welcome to those who appreciate such things...

Thanks! I am looking forward to being able to say, "I don't dive single tank often. But, when I do, I dive a Freedom Contour plate." :rofl3:

All the pictures look like works of art. I am seriously looking forward to having it. And mucho, MUCHO thanks to Eric who had saved my PMs from a full year ago regarding my interest and let me know that he has a new batch.

Are there plates available to purchase? If so I'm in for one.

Wow, This thread got revived! Amazing...

There has been many different versions and many changes to the plate (even after this thread.)
The Contour was a major breakthrough I felt. It took the plate to an entirely new level, way beyond what any other company was able to do, or willing to do. A multi compounded shape hand hammered to fit like it was poured on your back out of 10 GA (1/8") stainless steel, unheard of!
I remember offering the new Contours and also the older standard, which I figured for people on budgets. I was not able to sell one standard, so I re-tooled them all and made them into Contours. Once people got a taste of the rolled edges there was no going back.

It's been several years since the last run. The latest design has several changes. The first change is the top slots look a little different, they are curved now. I figured the webbing might come out a little nicer with the new shape, we'll see.
There are three different sizes now, sm med lg. There is also an extra small and an extra large, both of which are special orders.
The biggest change is the bolt on tank bracket. I'm hoping to have overcome many complaints that the old plate was hard to set up on a rocking boat, and wings with no slots couldn't be used (Halcyon), and not all wings that had slots lined up, and the plate could not be used just by itself - no bracket at all. Part of my old thinking was that the plate needed to be simplified and basically idiot proofed, so the last version had a welded-on rail.
Well, this time I'm giving people the benefit of the doubt and both the medium and large have 11" center holes, and the small has 9.5" center holes. All the models use 5/15" carriage bolts with the domed head on the front side (the side your back sits against) to hold on the tank bracket. So now the wing can go in between the plate and the tank bracket and it's held in place securely so there isn't any more fiddling around trying to get everything lined up prior to tightening the cam bands. The cam bands can either go through the plate slots (if they line up with the wing) or under the tank bracket bars (kind of like a STA.) The bracket can also be removed and just the plate used with a wing. And of course the plate can be used with no wing at all for the purists out there.
I also have big hopes that this new plate will work well with the Kraken, that would be awesome!!

I'm hoping I covered all the bases this time and there isn't anything this plate can't do regarding a single tank.

Last edited:
I have adapted the my Freedom Plate to doubles.
Thanks! I am looking forward to being able to say, "I don't dive single tank often. But, when I do, I dive a Freedom Contour plate."

I cobbled together an adapter so I could use my Freedom Plate on doubles. It is way better than the standard doubles plates made on a press brake. IMHO, the Freedom Plate is a reflection of a product that starts with a problem rather than the limitations of inexpensive low-production systems that don't require special tooling.

I have adapted the my Freedom Plate to doubles.

I cobbled together an adapter so I could use my Freedom Plate on doubles. It is way better than the standard doubles plates made on a press brake. IMHO, the Freedom Plate is a reflection of a product that starts with a problem rather than the limitations of inexpensive low-production systems that don't require special tooling.

Pictures and details would be highly welcome!

My Freedom plate is Out For Delivery!!!! :yeahbaby:

Pictures and details would be highly welcome!

My Freedom plate is Out For Delivery!!!! :yeahbaby:

I'm encouraging Eric to make an doubles adapter for his new plate. The latest design will be a lot easier. A quick & dirty version would be a piece of metal that spans the bands with an extra set of holes for the 5/16" carriage bolts -- think metal strip with 4 holes. Two for the band studs and two for the plate. Longer carriage bolts and some spacers should do it.

I used my plate on double Aluminum 80s in Truk with a 30 Lb Oxy wing (for singles). Worked fine and didn't taco (angle wings) like a doubles wing. I really like the ±3° angle, just like the contoured plastic packpacks from the 1960s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom