The new Freedom Contour - The Rolex of backplates.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think we both considering this simultaneously!

I’m sure it goes without saying that crotch strap should be 2” wide to avoid “thonging” after giant stride.
Hi Francesea. I actually use the DGE 1 1/2 with slide release and no sleeve. Very pleased but then I always dive with at least a 3 mil wetsuit.

I spent some quality time in the pool today (with an OW class). Lots of time hovering very close to the bottom, frog kicking forward, back finning, helicopter turning, going up and down, rolling side to side (to look up above me).

The Freedom Plate is effing awesome!

I never knew my DSS back plate lacked stability... until I dived the FP. Seriously, a regular BP that is set up correctly is very stable. As mine is (or was). But, the FP gave me a new level of stability that I didn't know existed.

I didn't really realize until I did something (probably rolled to the side to look up) where I caught myself doing a little sort of shoulder shrug/toss. An unconscious habit I seemed to have developed to shift my BP back into position after a move where it moves just a little to one side. When I did that little shoulder toss, it got my attention because the FP didn't move. And it didn't need to because it hadn't shifted out of position in the first place.

I was using a steel 100 tank. The rig was so comfortable, when we took a break and got out to change tanks for some students, I ended wearing my rig during the whole break while I was up on the pool deck (about 15 minutes).

Thanks, Eric!! :yeahbaby::yeahbaby::yeahbaby:

That was the first thing I noticed about the Freedom Plate. When hiking down a trail on a beach dive my tank no longer shifted as it did with my Halcyon plate. The "contour" part is the key. Eric's plates fit your spine and hips like no other plate on the market.

I spent some quality time in the pool today (with an OW class). Lots of time hovering very close to the bottom, frog kicking forward, back finning, helicopter turning, going up and down, rolling side to side (to look up above me).

The Freedom Plate is effing awesome!

I never knew my DSS back plate lacked stability... until I dived the FP. Seriously, a regular BP that is set up correctly is very stable. As mine is (or was). But, the FP gave me a new level of stability that I didn't know existed.

I didn't really realize until I did something (probably rolled to the side to look up) where I caught myself doing a little sort of shoulder shrug/toss. An unconscious habit I seemed to have developed to shift my BP back into position after a move where it moves just a little to one side. When I did that little shoulder toss, it got my attention because the FP didn't move. And it didn't need to because it hadn't shifted out of position in the first place.

I was using a steel 100 tank. The rig was so comfortable, when we took a break and got out to change tanks for some students, I ended wearing my rig during the whole break while I was up on the pool deck (about 15 minutes).

You're welcome Stuart!

It's all in the way the shoulder straps come out of a single point and form a Y over your traps, and the narrow part which allows the plate to snuggle down in between your shoulder blades, and finally the body hugging highly contoured shape that makes full body contact. All these things add up.
It was worth the wait then, huh?

You should see my latest aluminum plate combined with the VDH 18.
It's the most adorable little cutie I've ever seen!
The plate is only 2 lbs. total, and that's a 16" large with a skinny rail.
I haven't weighed the whole thing yet but is feels feather light to me.

If I get this job in Hawaii, I'll be on the list for the little cutie.

Edit: When I get this job, that is :wink:

I was using a steel 100 tank.

Any trim issues in a fairly heavy rig? Which holes did you have the plate mounted through on that HOG 23?

Any trim issues in a fairly heavy rig? Which holes did you have the plate mounted through on that HOG 23?

I was wearing my 5/4mm full suit. With neutral fins (Deep6 Eddy fins), good trim.

IIRC, I put the bolts through the middle holes on the wing. Pics I posted on p.24 seem to confirm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom