The new Freedom Contour - The Rolex of backplates.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suggestion: Get your stiff webbing pretty much into shape, take the lot outside, pour boiling water over it and adjust/snug it all up using heavy gloves and girl power. :wink:
I read @tbone1004 tip to use stiff webbing everywhere but soft webbing on crotch strap, which is possibly the most compassionate advice on Scubaboard, ever.

I have heard stiffer webbing is hard to thread, but then holds its place, yet softer webbing has more give, and could loosen up mid-dive as the webbing absorbs water.
If making my own, I can experiment with both, but I’d rather fight the webbing on land than underwater.
The one place this might not be true for you is the crotch strap. Even if it means black Imwould go the the softer, dive webbing. I like the one...

Dive Rite Crotch Straps

But Bryon or Randy may also have something similar.

Oops. Posted before I read the later posts. :rolleyes:

The one place this might not be true for you is the crotch strap. Even if it means black Imwould go the the softer, dive webbing. I like the one...

Dive Rite Crotch Straps

But Bryon or Randy may also have something similar.
I think we both considering this simultaneously!

I’m sure it goes without saying that crotch strap should be 2” wide to avoid “thonging” after giant stride.

I read @tbone1004 tip to use stiff webbing everywhere but soft webbing on crotch strap, which is possibly the most compassionate advice on Scubaboard, ever.

I do prefer the stiff webbing with a neoprene pad if diving in a wetsuit or DPV, but use a soft one for single tank diving. The one on my Freedom plate came off of my Hollis Katana when I replaced it with a split crotch strap for cave diving

Last edited:
I’m sure it goes without saying that crotch strap should be 2” wide to avoid “thonging” after giant stride.

I don't need a crotch strap since the belly-band catches me under the rib cage and the curves of the lower "wings" of the Freedom Plate keeps it stable on my back. I am required to use them on bailout bottles though and prefer to use two 1½" wide soft straps that hook into D-rings on either side of the belly-band buckle. It functions like a parachute or climbing harness so is much more comfortable. YMMV.

The DSS crotch strap is really nice - super soft webbing, quality hardware, and sewn-in loops/D-rings.

The DSS crotch strap is really nice - super soft webbing, quality hardware, and sewn-in loops/D-rings.

I agree. I have a DSS crotch strap and it is nice, soft webbing. But, it's $25.

I also have a couple of Dive Rite 2" crotch straps on other BPW rigs. They also have sewn-in loops and D-rings. They have a neoprene sleeve over the middle part that makes them as comfortable (to me, anyway) as my DSS crotch strap.

The DR ones are only $20 from DGX. And if you spend $50, you get free shipping. Which is VERY easy to do (for me, anyway).

Dive Rite Crotch Straps

Dive Rite video on crotch straps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom