The new Freedom Contour - The Rolex of backplates.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If anyone wants to model the FP with webbing on their back, would love to see how the curvature follows ones back and how high the belt rides.

Fwiw: I'm 5' 10" with a medium plate. I can touch the top of the plate on my back and the waist strap is at my hips, angled slightly down below my belly button. It seems just right. I was concerned it would ride to high but it's perfect. I can wear a weight belt just below the harness.

Lisa,
I just looked at the original pattern of the small plate you have and there is plenty of slot length up and down to accomodate a VDH wing.
Hoping for the best with you and your family Eric.

You were right. My VDH wing arrived today, 2 days after I placed the order and looks to be a perfect fit. Won’t know how well the wing trims out until my Bonaire trip in December when I pair it with the sweet little al63’s but I think its a winner.

The wing is a lovely little beastie. Compared to my Oxycheq 30, known for its streamline profile, it looks to be about 1 1/2 inches narrower and about 4 inches shorter inflated. As a petite female I appreciate the shorter length.

Compared to Eric’s Hog 23, I’d say roughly 4 inches narrower and 2 inches shorter inflated.

Can’t wait to take it diving.

Last edited:
Compared to Eric’s Hog 23, I’d say roughly 4 inches narrower and 2 inches shorter inflated.

Can’t wait to take it diving.

I would love to see some pictures of the two inflated and side by side...

The wing is a lovely little beastie.
Here is my VDH wing paired with my FP.

fp-on-argo-wing-jpg.423355.jpg

VDH wing on left, Oxycheq 32 middle, HOG 23 Right

3-wings-jpg.423357.jpg

BTW I received my Freedom Plate back in 2011 and I forgot that I altered it a bit. I drilled a few of the holes larger to accommodate the sex bolts I had. I also drilled extra holes to provide a few more choices of where to mount the wing. I apologize for not mentioning it earlier-I simply forgot. Having said that, at the time I purchased it there were post on SB explaining that there is no need to attach the wing to the plate-which is true. I just find it less bother to have it attached.

The only thing I’m on the fence about with the VDH wing is the inflator hose. Its oval, larger and more flexible then the Oxycheq and Hog inflator hose. But I checked and the elbows are interchangable. Or I can just replace the corrugated hose if I decide I like that style better.

Couv. Have you noticed fraying of the red band on the Hog 23? Doesn’t effect function but its pretty noticable. His larger all black Hog is older and doesn’t show this wear.

And I agree about the holes on the FP. Mine came without any and I kept it that way until a few months ago when I had my Eric drill me holes for a sex bolt at the top of the plate. The rails on mine prevent securing at the bottom but just the one works well.

Attachments

• B15982A0-2A43-491E-8BD0-C62CFA37BE39.jpeg
    B15982A0-2A43-491E-8BD0-C62CFA37BE39.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 82
  • CD692438-A973-4614-9FCA-C557312565D2.jpeg
    CD692438-A973-4614-9FCA-C557312565D2.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Hi Folks,
A quick check in.
We're evacuated again out of our corner of town. I'm in Windsor CA right now at my sisters second house.
She lost everything early Monday morning when the initial firestorm came through. They only had a few minutes to get out and left only with the clothes on their back and the pets.
Meanwhile the same morning, I woke up to a neighbor pounding on my door who got a nixle alert. I live clear on another end of the city separated by mountains. The fire came down the hill behind my neighborhood with such force and speed that it would have been very difficult to escape if you were directly in it's path. Fire officials said that at some points the fire was covering a football field length in less than 30 seconds. We luckily escaped unharmed.
Absolutely horrendous!!!
The fire line came right to the edge of my neighborhood and then the wind took it sideways and it glanced off, so my neighborhood was spared. A good analogy would be, having a bullet whizzing by your head and missing by a half inch.
Fire is the freakiest natural threat I've ever had to face, including earthquakes.

I know this is the Freefom Plate thread, but since this is mostly where I hang out I figured an appropriate place to give updates.

Next up when I get a chance and things fully calm down,
the history and development of the plate and the many variances.

*Bonus* I have a stack of plates I'm working on of all sizes when I can get back in to my shop, so hang in there.

Back
Top Bottom