The new Freedom Contour - The Rolex of backplates.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The freedom plate bars would keep the tank side from scraping against the ends of the S/S thread that is coming through the wing. The plastic insert anti roll tubes might let tank get scratched up is another concern.

There are different design iterations; they don't all have permanent threads.

It is HIGHLY desirable to use the STA that comes with the Freedom Plate, even with a HOG wing.

Hi Stuart,

All of my wings have anti roll tubes, so I have not used the rail. Perhaps I'm missing out on a feature. I know the rail puts a bit of bottom out tilt to the tank, but is there another advantage to using it?

TIA,

Couv

My preference is to leave the rails on and not need a tool to setup my rig (which is a change, depending on how I plan to transport my gear). My preference is also to strap the tank to the plate, not just the STA. I think I can make that work with the bottom strap through the plate and the top around the rails.

I would not recommend leaving the wing assembled. 1) A wing should not be stored close to the plate. You could get a pinch flat during transit. 2) It is difficult to fully clean all parts of your bc after a saltwater dive if you leave the wing attached.

I looked at the photos Stewart posted and it seems that you should be able to use (I have not seen the plate, so I could be wrong) some low profile wing nuts or speed nuts to hold the plate to the STA and tank on the back side. I have no idea why you would think that the bolts would become undone during a dive. There is not a lot of stress or vibration on the plate or wing under water.

There are a few variations of the plate. Wing nuts won't work on mine unless I can find some lower profile ones. But like I said I didn't mean to make it a big deal, it was more of a thought or observation; my own insanity, really.

I do plan on disassembling the wing for travel. Knowing me, the wing is more susceptible to 'hangar rash' or damage during handling, rather than during use.

@ams511, that is a good idea. I have some Delrin "speed nuts" (?) for attaching doubles to a normal BP.

If they are strong enough to hold a set of double steel 120s to a BP, they are certainly strong enough to hold this STA and a single tank. I will have to try them and see if they work. That would be a lot nicer than HAVING to have a 1/2" wrench or socket to disassemble the wing from the plate.

DGX 5/16-18 Delrin Thumbwheel Nuts, Set of Two

I would not recommend leaving the wing assembled. 1) A wing should not be stored close to the plate. You could get a pinch flat during transit. 2) It is difficult to fully clean all parts of your bc after a saltwater dive if you leave the wing attached.

I'm not sure that is a real issue. I have left my wing bolted to my Freedom Plate for years at a time. The smaller size of the Freedom Plate makes a pinch-flat far less likely than with one of my doubles plates. I "might" have been one of the earlier people to assemble the wing onto the FB semi-permanently. It makes it much easier to handle when they are married together.

full

This is a front view including the deadman rescue ring.

full

This image shows the guide that came my FB that predates the Contour

full

This is another view that shows some rubber strips added to improve the grip and reduce scarring paint

@Akimbo From what I remember, that piece of advice was given by Tobin of DSS. I have to think it is true because he has quite a bit of experience. I have never had a problem with my wings, but I don't travel much for diving. When I lived in South Florida I kept my gear in separate bins so they did not move. The few times I traveled I always kept the plate and the wing separate. Somewhat related, I purchased two wings off ebay that had pinch flats which the sellers swore worked before shipping. So YMMV.

Last edited:
From what I remember, that piece of advice was given by Tobin of DSS. I have to think it is true because he has quit a bit of experience.

I don't doubt that it is a valid concern for conventional doubles-style back plates. I think the difference is that the Freedom Plate has a little less mass, is narrower on average, and much more rounded corners. They also tend to be used with much less floppy singles wings.

I apologize, I should have written something like: I'm not sure that is applicable to the Freedom Plate. Stuff like that happens in the conversational world of Internet forums. That is also why me pots are ful ov typografickle mistooks.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :facepalm:

I'm not sure that is a real issue. I have left my wing bolted to my Freedom Plate for years at a time. The smaller size of the Freedom Plate makes a pinch-flat far less likely than with one of my doubles plates. I "might" have been one of the earlier people to assemble the wing onto the FB semi-permanently. It makes it much easier to handle when they are married together.

full

This is a front view including the deadman rescue ring.

full

This image shows the guide that came my FB that predates the Contour

full

This is another view that shows some rubber strips added to improve the grip and reduce scarring paint
Can’t see your photos? Is thee a different way to post them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom