The new Freedom Contour - The Rolex of backplates.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a former plastic back pack diver now plate diver I want badly to try one. Only thing for me is I presently stow my DSMB in a MC storage pocket between the plate and my back. Perhaps a few holes on the bottom of the plate to stow the DSMB under and clip off a reel.

Dude she's your wife. Buy her the contoured model! You'll get lucky for the rest of your life once she sees it. The original has similar lines but not nearly as sexy.
Here's one thread on the original with some pics http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...cussions/350126-freedom-plate-first-dive.html

Tried finding more pics but a lot of them in older threads are now gone. I love my Freedom Contour.

Jim, the bad news is that Eric is out of small contours. Her only option at this point is the standard Freedom. I have the Contour so can't compare but I would think that even the non-contoured Freedom plate is still better then a traditional plate.

Yeah, Jim, thanks for calling me cheap :). As uncfnp pointed out, that's my only option. I just want to see what it looks like since I have not seen the standard Freedom.

The one thread you listed was very helpful though. Thanks for that. Will wait to hear from Eric.

Hi Zimpod,
I've been out on jobs for the last few days so time is a little scarce. I'll try and get a pic of the two plates together as soon as I can.
Basically it's the exact same thing as a Contour (same piece of metal I start with) except the side edges are not rolled, but the bottom edge is rolled just like all the models of the past. The waist curve and verticle curve is still the same just like the Contour and all other models.
If she is wearing a 1/4" wetsuit or drysuit then I don't think it would be very noticable, but if she is wearing a thin wetsuit or no wetsuit then it would be noticable. But noticable to what? She has never used a Contour so she wouldn't have anything to compare it to other than whatever she's using now.
It's still going to be worlds better than a doubles plate just by design.
Even the standards are pretty darn comfortable,
And the price is right.

Eric, thanks, I am ready to buy it. One last question - she will be using it with a DSS wing (LCD 30) which has the built in roll control. Would the freedom plate work with the wing?

Thanks, Zimpod

Eric, thanks, I am ready to buy it. One last question - she will be using it with a DSS wing (LCD 30) which has the built in roll control. Would the freedom plate work with the wing?

Thanks, Zimpod
From what I hear it will work with a modification. You'll have to remove the roll control cushion in order for it to work. With doubles plates the tank has to balance on top of a channel, so some sort of roll control device or a STA is needed. The Freedom Plate already has two rod rails that the tank sits on so there is no neeed for any roll control device and there is no way to put a STA on it. I eliminated the need for any of that, you just sandwich the wing between the plate and tank, cinch it down and go diving.
I did also hear that the DSS cam band openings are a little narrow and don't like the angle at which the cam bands leave the plate on the bottom two slots causing the wing center panel to be stretched side to side at the cam band holes (they're rectangular holes not slots). I mentioned to the customer that on the lower cam band, which was the problem one since the distance between the plate and tank is greater, that he could run the cam band under the rails and not through the plate which would cure the problem. The top set of slots is fine, the tank is close enough that apparently there is no problem.
I didn't hear back yet so I'm assuming my suggestion cured the problem.

All other single tank wings with slots have worked to my knowledge so far.

Just took my Freedom Contour on a week long AquaCat trip. Got quite a few questions and positive comments on the plate. Love the fit and finish!

Here is my contour rig up with a hog kit from Jim

Attachments

• 20140509_080018.jpg
    20140509_080018.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 304

Back
Top Bottom