The new science of skin and scuba diving. . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DarthWader,

I meant to leave you a bit of a message too. Forget the New Science of Skin & Scuba Diving (not really, but while a great reference, it's not how I started). Pick up a copy of Cousteau's The Silent World, which should be available most anywhere. Read it cover to cover, and you'll end up with a dive course on the history of diving, diving a double hose regulator, and the early adventures of the Cousteau team (before it was really formed). That's how I started diving, in 1959. It wasn't until I had been diving for about three years that I got a LA County diving course, and we used the New Science of Skin & Scuba Diving for that one.

Barring that, if you want to take your regulator out this weekend, do so. It doesn't behave much differently than a single hose. You breath, and it gives you air.

Start out in shallow water, take the mouthpiece out of your mouth to flood it, put it back in and turn your head slightly to the left (left side down) to put the exhalation non-return at the lowest point, and exhale. You'll clear the mouthpiece easily. There may still be water in the left (exhalation) hose, so you can roll while exhaling to remove that water. Roll left (left shoulder down) and as you exhale, the water is removed from the hose.

Now, repeat this exercise, only instead of clearing the regulator with an exhalation, let the regulator do the work. Raise the mouthpiece above your head a bit until it starts free flowing (when the mouthpiece is above the regulator, it will free flow when out of your mouth). Then, as it is free flowing, simply put it back into your mouth, exhale a bit to ensure than there is no residual water, and breath normally. No water will be in the exhalation hose, as air was trapped there by the non-return.

Now, simply get used to the different positions and breathing resistence of the double hose regulator. Do this by swimming normally, then doing a slight roll to get the regulator at a 90 degree angle--this will give ideal breathing resistance, as the regulator is now at the center of the lungs. Roll a bit more to an upside down position, and feel the regulator try to pump air into your mouth and lungs. It cannot do this, but inhalation will be very easy (probably forced a bit) and exhalation hard. Then roll again to a normal swimming position. If your regulator is between your shoulder blades, you'll experience slightly harder inhalation, and very easy exhalation.

With that little bit of orientation, you'll do fine diving the double hose. On the surface, swim on your back just a bit to feel the regulator blow air out the mouthpiece--counter this by pulling the mouthpiece below the regulator (the water's surface), and it will stop. Or, simply turn back over onto your stomach. This is why it is better to dive with a snorkel when using a double hose, so you can easily swim on your stomach and not have the regulator free flow.

Good luck and good diving.

SeaRat

Last edited:
Very nice,

Great music too.

thanks,

c

The 66 and 68 are the versions you want. Actually, the info in them is somewhat obsolete in that once cage valves were installed into the mouthpiece all of the rolling and flipping and milking is generally not required. But the thing is that knowing how to perform those actions will only increase your confidence. Recovery of the mouthpiece is another skill to learn.

Pull the cage valves out of the mouthpiece and you will find that the dh is a whole nuther animal now because it is possible to flood the can. Now what you gonna do?

N

DarthWader,

That's how I started diving, in 1959. It wasn't until I had been diving for about three years that I got a LA County diving course, and we used the New Science of Skin & Scuba Diving for that one.

Last year on a dive trip I had the privilige of having dinner with Claude Hull, one of the original North Carolina wreck divers and the first US Divers dealer in North Carolina. Also at the table was a retired gentleman named Bud Daniels, who now is a mate on Olympus Dive Centers boat. Bud told me his first SCUBA lesson from Claude in the late 50's was;
1. Don't hold your breath.
2. Come up slow, no faster than your bubbles.
3. Bring my stuff back when you're done.

Bud told me he dove based on that till the early 80's.

The info's much appreciated John, thanks! I'll take your advice. that's actually how I was going to approach this thing. I figure you can read about it all you want, but until you jump in, you'll never really learn. I wanted the New science for mainly set up. and to get a feel for an earlier era.
right now, all I have is my OMS comfort harness and I don't know how that'll work with my DAAM. I am, however, looking seriously at that travel harness from VDH.

Ideally, I want a rig that looks like it came right out of 1965 and I thought that the New Science book would help with that.

Is there a 1965?

My Third revised Edition shows copyrights of 1957, 1959, 1962 and 1968.

In mine double hose dominates but both styles are dealt with.

Edit: Just found a 1980 on the bookshelf too, very different book.

Where will you be diving, maybe you can hook up with a mentor?

Pete

OK,

This thread caused me to go on a mission into my closet to find my old copy. I have the same one as Pete.

Boy, the books sure covered a of stuff back then. Even though for my OW (actually it was called Basic) class used a different manual, I still got my hands on a copy of this book as I liked all of the information in it.

Chock full of stuff about equipment....we learned the difference between a balanced and non-balanced first stage, upstream vs. downstream valves. Techniques on using single hose and double hose regulators.

It was a real trip down memory lane paging through that book.

At any rate, to the OP, yes, the older book (the one Pete mentions here) is probably what you are looking for.

Thanks to John C. I have to go on another mission.....I haven't read "The Silent World." yet.

c

Basic Scuba is another good resource, maybe even better than The New Science.

N

Nemrod,
I have Basic Scuba by Roberts copyright 1963 and The Skin Divers Bible by Lee copyright 1968. THe Basic Scuba does talk about the cage valves, DH clearing and recovery but does not mention DH buddy breathing just single hose. Lots of gear IPB's. The Lee book really does not seem to be that much help. Is it worth it to get New Science if you have Basic Scuba? Thanks

Jim

Just me but I love old books, yes, if it is not going to break you then both are together the best resource, that and vdh. N

Back
Top Bottom