The new science of skin and scuba diving. . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last year on a dive trip I had the privilige of having dinner with Claude Hull, one of the original North Carolina wreck divers and the first US Divers dealer in North Carolina. Also at the table was a retired gentleman named Bud Daniels, who now is a mate on Olympus Dive Centers boat. Bud told me his first SCUBA lesson from Claude in the late 50's was;
1. Don't hold your breath.
2. Come up slow, no faster than your bubbles.
3. Bring my stuff back when you're done.

Bud told me he dove based on that till the early 80's.

I got a similar lesson in Greece from some EOD guys. It was basically:

-Don't go deeper than like 20 feet.
-When your ears hurt stop.
-When the regulator gets hard to breathe, swim up.
-Never hold your breath.

That pretty much carried me through until 2008 when I took an official diving course. You have to love not being mollycoddled.

I used to work for a guy who's father taught him to dive by throwing him out of the boat with gear on. When he'd come back to the boat to hold onto the sides, his father would hit him on the hands with a hard rubber hose. His father did not know anything about diving but sold dive gear in his hardware store.

Years later, Jr. opened up the first dive shop in New Orleans.

c

Hi, I don't know if this is helpful but you can pick up almost any edition of this book at a used book store. The newer editions say something like" 6 Million in Print" so the odds are in your favour. Thx, JM

jm:
Hi, I don't know if this is helpful but you can pick up almost any edition of this book at a used book store. The newer editions say something like" 6 Million in Print" so the odds are in your favour. Thx, JM
Thanks JM. I noticed that too. It appears this book would be an interesting way of observing the evolution the sport of Scuba diving.

Back
Top Bottom