The Other State of Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think there is something incredibly sad about the fact that the first thread, with bad divers, ran pages and pages -- yet so few of us can find anything to say about people who are well trained.

Alas, ranting is ALWAYS more popular (both to do and to read) than raving.

One of the many dark sides of human nature.

..... All but two of the divers in the vids are either very new or not quite certified.

I'd dive with them.
So would I Dave. Well done!

I think there is something incredibly sad about the fact that the first thread, with bad divers, ran pages and pages -- yet so few of us can find anything to say about people who are well trained.

It's kind of like seeing a Megalodon swim by...

It's always easy to dog how unfit they were at survival in this day and age, but when such a mythical beast actually swims by you, it leaves ya speechless.

Those are better divers than I was when I got my cert card, back in April. :sadangel:

I dive with people from both videos (subject to my usual requirements for diving with new people of any skill level - easy dive site, easy dive plan)... and try to help the first lot of people with any skills if they were interested.

Most people just don't know any better and generally want to learn when they see other people who are more comfortable and as I said in the other thread even when starting less skilled than the people in this thread's video if people keep diving they tend to improve over about 20-30 dives from what I have seen. I mean it is always great to get a head start but if you don't get one from what I have seen people get comfortable anyway.

Dave, was the investment that any of those divers had to make significantly more (time or dollars) than that of a student perhaps shown in the other videos (or other shops in your area)? Where I am headed is, how much extra time/dollars do your students have to invest in your OW certification program to come out as Scuba Divers as opposed to someone certified to dive?

BTW I am still amazed and impressed that the divers in that video are that new. Good job.

Wow. I'm feeling a mite embarrassed.
I've read enough of your posts to know you have a desire to improve and that's nothing to be embarrassed of. Had you been exposed to a higher standard of training, things would likely be different for you.
Looks like some shop had a sale on split fins....how can you show students that? :no:
I know you're just kidding, but I'd love to fit every student I have as I see fit. By the time I get a hold of them, they've already bought their snorkeling gear, so we work with what we have. The lack of silt clouds in the video tell me it's working out okay.

In the end, it's not very much about gear choice.

In fairness, the OP in the other thread asked a specific question, while this thread did not. The first video has also received 3x the views and has been up a few days longer.

I would be interested in hearing from those who critiqued the first video regarding their opinion of the divers in this video. Are they 'good enough'?

Most people just don't know any better and generally want to learn when they see other people who are more comfortable and as I said in the other thread even when starting less skilled than the people in this thread's video if people keep diving they tend to improve over about 20-30 dives from what I have seen.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of certified divers accrue no more than 15 dives in their lifetime. I believe that would not be the case were these divers comfortable from the start. At the very least, students should be at a point prior to certification where they can relax and enjoy the dive.

Where I am headed is, how much extra time/dollars do your students have to invest in your OW certification program to come out as Scuba Divers as opposed to someone certified to dive? .

Steve, as an SSI instructor, I have to be affiliated with a LDS. Our LDS is pretty typical in that it's a biz trying to survive in an area where diving is not all that great. Full price for our OW course is $300, but I've seen them go for as little as $100 in order to make a small class go. Two for $300 is a standard off season special. If I had to guess an average, I'd say $180. The shop covers losses by selling gear, if they're lucky.

I teach a variety of formats and usually customize them to fit the needs of a particular class.

My weeknight class runs two nights/week for three weeks. Hours are typically 18:00-22:00 and extra pool sessions are commonly added.

The weekend format runs two weekends and goes from 13:00-19:00.

Right now, I'm doing a three day private course with two ladies who have had a lot of snorkeling experience and are naturals.

Checkout dives take place over an additional two days, but I often add a third day if I feel a student needs more dives.

Nothing special, really. Students are given the DVD and they do the home study thing prior to class. I'll call them a few days before the course starts to motivate them, so most are prepared when the course starts. I try to maximize time in the pool and am very fortunate the LDS has an on site pool. I'd attribute a great deal of success to the pool time students receive.

Lecture time is spent connecting the material to real world application, critiquing performance, discussing cause and effect, reviewing in pool videos and checking chapter review questions. The feedback students receive while reviewing in pool videos seems to make a significant difference from session to session.

I really do appreciate the kudos, but have to say they are misplaced. Credit goes to the students, I'm just feeding my addiction.

Last edited:
When students are shown what is possible and not just what they need to "get by" they will most times take it upon themselves to model that. I have more time available to me and as an independent with little overhead (classroom in my home)and minimal charge for pool, it is easy for me to devote more time and attention.

When students see and are taught from day one about buoyancy control and trim they pick it up quickly. Just as I had no idea that there were classes where those things were taught, and did not know any better, I simply went by what I saw. I have no trouble getting students swimming in trim and in midwater in about an hour if that. Are they experts? Of course not. They still bounce and lose control but by session 3 or 4 that is not an issue even when doing skills.

Dave - The video in the earlier thread you posted showed divers who had no idea about gear configuration or buoyancy. They looked like students who were experiencing their very first time underwater with scuba gear, and perhaps they were.

The video in this thread shows divers who seem much more experienced and comfortable in the water, are more familiar with their gear, are in control of their buoyancy, and are working on trim.

If I might be so bold as to suggest it, you might add a third video, showing what the very best divers can achieve in the way of gear configuration and buoyancy control. Then your students will be able to get a feel for where they are on the skills scale, and what they should aspire to in the future.

Thanks for these threads. Your constructive approach to training will benefit your students greatly, and is informative for the readers here on SB as well.

Dave, where is that video taken?

Dave, where is that video taken?

In Oregon: Illinois River, Applegate Lake
California: Smith River, Anacapa Island(the descent), Catalina Island (the GSB clip)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom