THE "PERFECT ( being horizontal ) TRIM" HOAX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't seen the bloopers on the GUE YouTube, but they have an "Ask Anything" show tomorrow. I asked in advance, and they said they'll address it on the show.

It's a Q & A on YouTube and FB with the President and VP at 5 PM GMT (1 PM ET):

JJ and Dorota answered the question beginning at almost the 1 hour time stamp on the video.

The question was "Are GUE divers taught to always be horizontal no matter the topography or circumstances?"

Dorota said "No, they are not."

Jarrod said, "They are not, and since the beginning I've been ... emphasizing that. You've got to change for the topography. It's fine to come out of trim anytime that you need to as long as you do it on purpose, you're not destroying the environment or damaging the coral. So no problems at all. I'm upside down and vertical whenever I feel like it as long as it doesn't cause an issue."

So there you have it. Straight from the founder and President, and VP of GUE.
Not that the misconception won't re-surface again.. and again... :D

Always horizontal, just redefine the datum.

Sometimes my head is horizontal but the rest of me is not. How do we define that?

I'm pretty much always on board with "do whatever works for you" but I'd say it's worth trying the "proper" way a few times, even if it's awkward at first. Sometimes, it takes a little bit of experience, before the benefits of the "right" way become apparent. I'm also a fan of experimenting, because sometimes the established way isn't actually best (or best for every context).

I often dive slightly forward trim, because I'm looking for sunglasses on the bottom of a VERY murky lake-bottom. When visibility is about 18-inches, the most effective way to scan the bottom is to somewhat snake left/right so I can see a slightly wider area, and keep my head close to the lake-floor.

Sometimes my head is horizontal but the rest of me is not. How do we define that?

I am trying to visualise this trim technique- and I can't - please post a video :D :D :D

I developed a special technique of flutter kick, so that I always have one leg horizontal, but the rest of me isn't. Does it count as well?

I am trying to visualise this trim technique- and I can't - please post a video :D :D :D

I developed a special technique of flutter kick, so that I always have one leg horizontal, but the rest of me isn't. Does it count as well?

I'm not much good at selfies but I could setup my camera on a tri pod and let is record. lol
Everything counts I guess.

We could claim that as there is always one part of us horizontal we are always in that "perfect trim

Too much time using a computer or mobile phone does that.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom