The "Reel" Thing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jextract

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm about to take a wreck class and want to invest in a reel. What you use for a class is often much different from what you will wind up really needing in the "reel" world, so I'd like to solicit opinions on buying a reel that will work and is something I can use for a while. Ultimately I will also be taking a cavern class, but that's down the road.

Specifically, what brands, features, sizes, lengths, etc. should I be looking for or avoid?

Thanks in advance.

I have recently switched to spools for this kind of thing. I use them mostly in caves, but also use them for teaching wreck diving.

The thing I like about them is that it is impossible to jam them as there is no moving parts. I prefer the aluminium ones as they dont break when you sit a pair of doubles on them. The bad thing is that you can only fit about 100 ft of line on them (depending on the thickness)

I started with two Halcyon spools (150' #32). Now I carry one spool (100' #36) and a Dive Rite safety reel (150' #36). Here's why:

1. I shredded one Halcyon plastic spool at depth. The sides cracked and came apart while deploying my LB. My guess is that the side cracked by pinning it against the inside of the wreck and my tank.

2. I kept catching my gloved fingertips in the line as it deployed from the spool. This is bad when the LB is headed for the surface.

3. The reel works great for LB deployment, carries more line, and is easier for me to manipulate under water once I have unspooled some line. It is now my primary, and the spool is my backup.

4. I went to #36 from #32 braided line when my line cut through. I didn't like that feeling, so refit the spool and reel to the 36.

I'll be adding a 400' primary reel in the future, but I don't penetrate that far in yet (wrecks).

I paid $70 for the Dive Rite, $25 for the Halcyon, and $15 for the spool of #36.

For wreck diving I heartily recommend the G5 from Manta. It is all stainless and extremely durable as well as easy to use. No reason why it could not also be used as a safety reel for cavern or cave diving. See at www.mantaind.com . All the Manta reels are excellent, I own several, but the G5 is my fav for wrecks.

theskull

I have a couple of reels from reef scuba and they are pretty traditional in design and very well made.

A saftey reel with 150 ft of #36 is adequate for most general purpose needs like shooting lift bags, short penetrations, etc. But what works best for you will depend a lot on what you plan to do. I would not consider using any line lighter than #36 if you are diving around anything with sharp edges.

I use a big yellow McMahon reel for my DSMB/SMB stuff. Its great to operate with cold hands and thick gloves and doesnt need silly amounts of winding.

(photo of it here: http://www.ukrecscuba.org.uk/ukdiver/dsmb/ )

Provided you can keep the line under some tension you stick your left forefinger through the centre of the spool and use the double ender loosely in the right hand as a winding knob. Most spools have multiple holes in the sides where you can clip a double ender.

I prefer the aluminium ones )[/QUOTE]

Where do you get them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom