The RIGHT thing to do in a blackout.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kazbanz,
Planning is key! But we don't always plan for every situation. In the case you have described, vis dropped very quickly. In this case I would return to the place just before the vis dropped and wait for your buddy. I had a situation in June where the vis went to Zero in seconds (my fault).:shocked2: Just a few feet away (next deck down) the vis was fine. In short, don's panic, and move to an area where the vis improves. I have included a link to the zero vis situation, we were at 190' when it happened. The time marker is 8:30 in the video.

Lakeland Car Ferry on Vimeo

Do you have a tank dinger? I would use that first and stay still. That will allow your buddy to get a bearing on you. Then have my light on so I can find him or he can spot me. The most important thingg is not to panic. We have a rule, if you do not see your dive buddy within 3 minutes, head to the surface and regroup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom