The Rule of Thirds.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divesherpa,

Thanks for advice. I am planning on getting more technical training, but, I feel like I'm at transitional phase from a new diver to being able to do more advanced diving. I think there are lots of divers like me who are counting on their computers to bail them out if they overstay NDL due to an emergency.
In some cases, such as surface high currents on a foggy day, I think I might accumutalte a few minutes of deco time if it meant finding the upline. Again, I think I fit the profile of alot of divers (atleast around here) 150-200 dives, AOW, almost all my last 20 or so dive have been one very popular wrekc here in 100'.
I only stay 20-25minutes, and we always are more conservative than the rule of 1/3s, returing with a good deal of air, but, I'm always worry that somthing is going to happen and I'm going to run out of time and have to decompress for a few minutes with nothing but my computer to guide me. I just wish I had a deco table just in case.

Spend the money, take the class, and understand what's going on in your body when pressure increases. That's the best advice I think you are gonna get. Have fun and dive safely.
Out of curiosity, why the rule of 1/3's? Where was this learned?

Cheers and safe diving

get the training not the tables

Divesherpa,

Thanks for the advice, I was taught the rule of thirds in my AOW and wreck coures (and I read it in Sheck Exeley's book), we ALWAYS use it when we do penetration.
Most of the time (on this 100' wreck we do almost every other weekeend) with my 120hps and my 40sling I run into the NDL way before using that much air, and I usually surface with 1,000-1200psi in my 120 and my stage untouched.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom