The Rule of Thirds.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PUG interesting responce. probably beyond my intilectual ability to comprehend.

If you are insinuating that I feel threatend, I don't cause I am not trying to teach anything here. I simply ask questions, and respond with my oppinion

I don't feel that my oppinions influance anybody in the way they choose to dive

I agree with you that you always present your thoughts on a take it or leave it bases. not everybody here can say that.

I consider you one of the good guys and enjoy your threads that make people discuss diving techniques, even if i don't always see the advantage or purposes of others view points

So PUG you too should not feel threatend,

just help me make sure the people that are being preached to understand the level of training and experience of the teacher.

I did notice you do not have that information in your bio. you should. since you are one of the more active and oppinionated people here. it is always important to consider the souce.

take for example a medic in the military, durring a conflic they have probably seen more injury and death than most doctors, and they have been forced to deal with those injuries, many surviving because of their interventions. but are they qualified to be a doctor or even to teach others. so if someone starts to teach me how to perform cpr i want to know what qualifications they have in order to give me a complete education, and be able to provide qualified answers to any questions i may have. in todays world I need to relly on the system of qualifications and certifications to insure qualified people are doing the teaching.

AquaTec once bubbled...
it is always important to consider the souce.
...and in keeping with my take it or leave it basis for sharing... I remain resolutely... not the source.

The things that I share will either stand or fall on their own merit.. and I have nothing personal invested in their acceptance or rejection.

ahhh
I have seen your type before.

a leader without even knowing it. people follow you because of your mannerism, experience, willingness to assist, etc. this makes you a leader and a teacher weather you want to be or not.

i will not pusue this any further as I respect you and don't want to take anything away from your efforts.

final thought
Have you ever seen the Wizard of Oz.

remember the part when they entered Oz's grand room. how ahhh struck they where at what a great and wise man. now fast forward to Toto pulling the curtain back a little.

The man behind the curtain was still the same man, he just went about his methods incorrectly by creating a fasad to hide behind.
I just believe we should pull back the curtain on those who are the loudest here on this board.

AquaTec once bubbled...
now fast forward to Toto pulling the curtain back a little.
Yes, I have been called that before.... and I suppose for good reason...

Say! I have got a great idea... instead of turning this into a thread about me... why don't you start a thread about me!

good

keep pulling the curtain back on those who missrepresent themselves.

Anyone who takes any information as the ultimate truth without examining its source and being able to draw their own conclusions is a disaster waiting to happen.

The beauty of this forum is the ability to hear ideas and opinions, then evaluate their applicability to a specific situation. Up until this afternoon, I was plesantly surprised about the density of information compared to that considered to be fluff.

I hope that we can return to the information, so I can draw some meaningful conclusions of my own on this topic.

wch once bubbled...

Rockbottom is what my checking account has stayed at since taking up diving.

Truer words have never been spoken!!

wch once bubbled...

Rockbottom is what my checking account has stayed at since taking up diving.

Rockbottom is what I NEED,
My bottom gets kicked every time the Credit Card bill arrives.

jonnythan once bubbled...

I'm not sure I understand... plan to end the dive and be back on shore with 1000 psi remaining?

Why cut yourself that short?

That's why I said that it didn't need to be so strict....extending the first part of the dive to a little more than a third. Plan on being back at 500 psi. Kind like the rule of 2/5ths...use 2/5ths out, 2/5ths back and 1/5th for reserve.

IMO, the exact details of rule of thirds is irrelevant for the discussion...it is the principle that is important.

EDIT:
There is a shore dive site on Cape Ann called Cathedral Rocks. At low tide it is a real PIA to enter or exit the water as you have to climb up some very large, slippery rocks with your gear on and get tossed around in the surf...really tossed around. I learned the hard way to plan a fair amount of reserve for the exit...my first dive there I planned on exiting with 500psi, which is when I surfaced. Little did I know that I would need another 350psi to get OUT of the water safely. Yes...I breathed a tank down to 150 psi...something I hope I never do again. I was naive and no one that I was with shared this with me. That dive shook me up a little bit (both physically and psychologiclaly) and now if the entry/exit is at all difficult, I will plan on using the rule of thirds relatively strictly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom