The Rule of Thirds.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow! What a great thread. Pug, thanks for posting it in the general/basic (non tek forum) so we can see what tech divers think about applications of tech theory to rec diving.

Alot of people I dive with are always taking about "stealing" tech teachings and appying them to rec stuff and rule of 1/3s is always one of the first thing they mention. Another rec case we use it in is heavy surf exits (beaches), it's not that bad out here all that often,but, I know there are places in Cali where big surf is the norm. We like to stick to rule in this case because of the need not only to get yourself our but your buddy out too (sometimes you make it to shore and have to battle back in to help someone).

Now for my question: I'm still a rec diver for now, although I have a 5 year plan which includes TRIMIX cert, cave training, all that fun stuff. But, for right now my typical dive is a 100' wreck dive, no deco, 5min 15' safety and a "slow" ascent. We ussually add 10' on to account for cold if it's below 50deg on the bottom. BTW, most of the time we are diving with air (non of 3 nearby LDS carry NITROX, although I am certified to dive it).
So, right now, if I "mess up" and accumulate deco time, I'm basically counting on my computer's program to deco me.

My question (that I'm a little embarassed to ask) is where can I get the best table around that will tell what I need to do for deco so I can plan for contigencies w/out counting on my computer. All I carry for table is my PADI one, is there another one I can get? Also, I want to start doing 1 minute stopes at say 40, 30' like Pug said,but, I don' want to do it just on whim, are there any table or programs that are "up to date" and can give me all the information I need for diving at this "rec" depth?

Any adivce would be very much apprecaited. If my question is unclear I'll be glad to try to clarify it, I'd would ask they guys at my LDS but, I think they'd rip my cert card up on the spot for even mentioning deco stuff or planning beyond The PADI Rec Dive planner.

Thanks
:confused:

Mass - diver
you seem like a smart guy, however your view points are exactly what i worry about on this board.

tables are easy to get, I found them way back in the early 80's [won't tell you where, but it was tuffer then]
but what i did learn over the years is that it is not very smart to do dives beyond your training. heck in this internet world you can probably figure out how to do it. like i said you seem smart because you want to plan for contingencies in your diving, like unexpected deco.

I will give you this small bit of training [even though it goes agains my better judgement]
when you are doing dive that require deco stops, the most important thing you can do is not to break depth or break your run times. this is something you can practice now, by not doing any dives that would put you into deco. practice never going deeper than your planned depth and never longer than your planned time. if you break this easy rule by one foot or one minute then you are not quite ready to do deco dives.

but when you finaly do go get the training you will be amazed at the risks you exposed yourself to because you where not properly trained.

The training is fairly cheap, I do the Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures for $700.00 Canadian, thats like 10 bucks US

so your question shouldn't be where to get the tables you need but where to get the training you need in your area

MASS-Diver once bubbled...
Wow! What a great thread. Pug, thanks for posting it in the general/basic (non tek forum) so we can see what tech divers think about applications of tech theory to rec diving.
But don't jump ahead on the staged decompression diving. Make sure that you are not exceeding the NDLs at any point during the dive.

As for getting into the habit of doing what we call *minimum deco* of 1 minute at 30',20',10' ...this will be good training for when you do get into staged decompression diving. We have a discussion concerning this in another thread. We do this minimum deco on all dives.... and we feel better afterwards! Purely subjective and anecdotal but it is our personal experience.

include some contingency deco times... Mandatory stops are taught as a contingency only, and not recomended. But they do make allowances for those happenings as well.

Thanks guys,

Pug, I'll give that 1 minute at 30', 20' a try, like I said we practice going up real slow now.

It seems like the line between nodeco and deco is a little more blurred than many would like to think. Even now with only only 20-25miutes at 100' I ALWAYS plan my dives to have a 5minute "saftey" stop, I would consider missing this a major problem, not that I would necessairly be bent, but, I'll bet (epecially in the winter) I might have subclinical symptoms, like fatigue (also a lot of these dives are 'working' dives), so I really feel like I'm already doing some form of "forced" saftey stop rec diving.

Since this is about rec diving, I kept the "P" word out, but, that's something I do have training it, and it's more reason I'm concerned about missing NDL sooner or later. No instructors around here are going to teach any deco stuff, unless you're working with MIX and O2 for deco gas.

Aqua tec,

Secret tables?

No instructors around here are going to teach any deco stuff, unless you're working with MIX and O2 for deco gas.

I'm not sure how far you are, but Northeast Scuba in Chelmsford teaches deco procedures. I'm not sure if they require mix for a deco gas, but why would that be a problem?

Thanks, Spectre

I heard Northeast Scuba is a great dive shop (I've heard they are going to be offering some serious rebreather training soon too).

But, for me, it's a bit of hike from the South shore (I ussually go to South Shore Divers, North Altantic Divers, or Diver's Market), nonetheless, I think I will take my next course through to NE, they fill O2 and MIX for certiffied divers right?

I heard Northeast Scuba is a great dive shop (I've heard they are going to be offering some serious rebreather training soon too).

Yep. I did my AOW and TDI Nitrox through them. I had a little trouble with some of the folks, but the owner [Tom] is an incredible instructor.

Yes, they do banked nitrox [e.g. a little expensive] but they do custom mixes and trimix as well.

No text

Hey MASS diver,

Replies like your first where you are counting on a computer blindly to clear for deco are a concern. Although this thread provides some great points, the type of diving that you are mentioning would require additional training.
Original point of thread: If you need to dive 1/3's in OW, you will learn this on an area orientation when you first start diving the area. This is what the LDS is for. They (LDS) will know the conditions and how to deal with them.
If you are doing exploratory dives where there is no LDS, you should already have far more experience and training than the dive would need. This point would be best discussed in the technical section. We did lots of OW exploration in ferocious places and no training can prepare you for that, but "technical" training definately was necessary.
Cheers and safe recreational diving,
Sherp

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom