The Sharks of Palm Beach County

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

October 25 - Not a lot of shark action for me over the past few months but the 25th finally had sharks and good conditions.

Deep Ledge
Silky - 1 (juvenile that showed up as we were getting out)

ESSO Bonaire Wreck
Lemon - 8+
Tiger - 1

20151025_Lemon_Shark_01.jpg20151025_Lemon_Shark_02.jpg
20151025_Lemon_Shark_03.jpg20151025_Tiger_Shark_01.jpg
20151025_Tiger_Shark_02.jpg20151025_Tiger_Shark_03.jpg

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a couple questions that the contributors to this thread are uniquely qualified to answer.

I am in the process of updating my camera gear and I want to do a quick trip and learn how to use it before I go to some "far away" destination. Jupiter is easy for me to get to (direct flight from Toronto to PBI), and all things considered, relatively ecconomical. If I come down in the early summer (end of June), what would I expect in terms of sharks and also water temps?

Thanks.

very nice images...thanks for sharing them.

If I come down in the early summer (end of June), what would I expect in terms of sharks and also water temps?

Summer is prime time for silky & dusky sharks plus lemon, sandbar & bull sharks may be around. Water will generally be 80+ unless you hit a cold water upwelling.

Summer is prime time for silky & dusky sharks plus lemon, sandbar & bull sharks may be around. Water will generally be 80+ unless you hit a cold water upwelling.
Great! Hopefully I'll see you then. The pics on this thread are amazing.

Double hijack.

I will be down there in 2 weeks from tomorrow. I will be doing a Jupiter Dive on the second day but since I will be in ft lauderdale the night before the first dive day I was going to dive down there. Is there much of a difference or should I just head up to west palm for that day.

Double hijack.
I will be down there in 2 weeks from tomorrow. ....

You many only get 2-3 days of diving before it turns crud. To keep an eye on wave hieghts (<3-4's best) use this link for Jupiter. Windfinder.com - Wind and weather forecast Lake Worth Pier

...I will be doing a Jupiter Dive on the second day but since I will be in ft lauderdale the night before the first dive day I was going to dive down there.....
Not sure I understand if you are doing a "night" dive in Ft. Laud the 1st day or what. But I'll tell you that it's an hour and 15 mins with traffic from Ft. laud to Jupiter and you'll want to arrive at your Jupiter boat dock 1 hr ahead of departure. It's a very busy time and you'll need that hour to sign releases, setup gear, rent tanks and get ready {cause stuff always breaks on vacation}. If you do drive up that same morning, DON'T take I-95 !! Spend the extra 3 bucks and drive up the Turnpike (they are right next to each other). 95 has alot of crashes and you don't want to miss your boat.

Thanks for the wave height link.

My initial thoughts were to dive ft. Lauderdale the first day and drive up that afternoon after getting off the boat. (The "night" is the hotel stay the night before). Guy has me second guessing with the Shark teases further up.

Most likely going to dive ft. Laderdale day 2 (day 1 is LBTS to test gear and try that out) and day 3 is jupiter. Staying in Juno the night before the jupiter dive so no worries about the drive.

Any input about dives in ft. Lauderdale would be helpful. Seems like fairly shallow wreck followed by even shallowed reefs which is fine, as you say, stuff always breaks on vacation.

This is the 2nd Annual SE Florida Dive Trip. Sweet deal on flights and hotels so really looking forward to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom