The Sharks of Palm Beach County

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dove area 51 and the tunnels with Jupiter dive center on Sunday Jan. 29 2017....very cold by florida standards and very rainy......only saw a handful of sharks mostly reef sharks...perhaps too early for the massive migration so far.

Same observation here. I dove on Saturday with Little Deeper. Dove Area 51 and Juno Ledge. Saw some nurse sharks and some blacktips. No lemons. Seas 3 to 5. Kind of cold but what do you expect from Jersey.

The reefs were feeding (naturally) on a school of fish though which was neat to see. The loosely grouped school was about 15 ft off of the bottom and the sharks would come up from below hitting them.

This thread is for sharing photos and/or videos of our local shark action. Please share the shark pictures that you've taken in our local waters only!

This is not a place to debate shark feeding. Violations will be reported to the mods.

June 20-21, 2014
Scalloped Hammerhead - 1
Silky - 3
Dusky - 4
Sandbar - 3
Bull - 2
Lemon - 9
Nurse - 2

View attachment 400796 View attachment 400797 View attachment 400798 View attachment 400799
I've seen some nice shark photos off Singer Island, what shop to you use? IOW do you dive Jupiter or further south? I only have a few and mostly at a distance. Have been much closer off NC coast and want to get closer down here.

I've seen some nice shark photos off Singer Island, what shop to you use? IOW do you dive Jupiter or further south? I only have a few and mostly at a distance. Have been much closer off NC coast and want to get closer down here.

There's three dive ops in the northern Palm Beach County area that do baited shark dives these days - Calypso and Deep Obsession out of Lake Park Marina in Lake Park, and Emerald out of Harbourside in Jupiter. The dives are done in three general areas that are in federal waters roughly between Juno Beach and the Martin County line: the Deep Ledge/Hole in the Wall, Lemon Drop #3/"Where the Magic Happens," and the northern end of the Jupiter Wreck Trek.

The Singer Island area isn't hurting for sharks; I run into Caribbean reef sharks at close range regularly enough on non-baited dives. The other species are definitely around; it's just that seeing them up close might be a lightning-strike sort of thing.

Just saw on ABC news in Philadelphia area clip with Randy and Josh removing large rusty hook from lemon shark. I guess they are getting country wide attention now.

Just saw on ABC news in Philadelphia area clip with Randy and Josh removing large rusty hook from lemon shark. I guess they are getting country wide attention now.

It is GREAT advertising for all Jupiter & WPB diving, that's a million dollars of 2 minute ad time. All the dive boats will be sold out in April and spring break.

Did Lemon Shark aggregation ever really happen this year?
YES !! We always have a handful of 3-5 following us around. But on our dives Feb 1st, we had a group of about 50 bunched up in one reef site that we came up on in Jupiter.

Here's a dive I made just last week in Jupiter; a video is worth thousand words, so I'll let it speak for itself... enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom