The Skinny on wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AmyJ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well, this is just a post to vent, becuase I don't know where else to do it! I am in a complete panic and totally depressed. Are all women divers sticks????? I am not even remotely a stick! We will be heading to Puerto Vallarta to dive and were told by the DM that we would probably need 5mm suits (which they can provide).
However, what if they don't have one to fit me? I ordered one off the internet ( I know... I know....) because I'm too embarressed to try one in the LDS. I did order from a Dive shop, a new Mares 3mm XL shorty. It did not even remotely fit!!! (it can be returned).

And I'm guessing anything in the jumpsuit style will be long enough that I can wear stilts with it. (i'm only 5'3").

So.. do I have to custom order a suit? (not sure I want to spend that kind of money since I am very new to this still)... or.... ????? Do I just go to PV hoping and praying that they can find one that fits??

My husband totally doesn't get it (he can still wear clothes from high school and he's 33!). He just figures... no problem.. I'm sure we can find one that fits, you're not that big.........sigh.... he's in denial and I am in the depths of depression. (BTW I am working on it and have just lost 18 lbs!, but need to dive in 3 weeks!)

Sorry for the length, any advice, comfort, etc would be appreciated. How's that for pathetic?? :) Cheers all!

If you're not height/weight proportionate than, yes, you will most likely have a hard time finding a suit to fit, especially in 5mm. Wetsuit and drysuit makers make suits that fit the majority of people. If you fall outside that shell, you go custom.
Thats the way it is. I don't know why you'd be embarassed to try on a suit at a LDS. That's what they do for a living and I hardly think you'll shock anyone.
You might be able to find a two piece 3mm suit instead of a one piece 5. It would be somewhat warmer, and you would have more flexibility in fit. Also a full 3mm with a 2 or 3mm vest would be an option. A 3mm will give more and be somewhat more forgiving on size.

MD

no - don`t go hoping to find a suit that fits - you`ll end up miserable

try the newer hyper strech style suits - IMHO they are not as robust - but they do give .. a lot !!

They may be a bit long on you - but not too much - I have henderson hyperstrech XL and I usually have a gap above my booties and I`m 5ft 6 - size 16 dress to give you an idea.

While I have been called a geek many times No One has ever called me 'pencil neck'.

I can wear off the shelf suits in XL and they are a bit tight around and are too long. Most hoods are just way too tight in the neck for me.

Go try a Henderson Hyperstreach, they are much more forgiving.

AmyJ,

I wouls suggest that you contact Liquidfit.com and talk to Carolyn about your problem. She was the greatest to deal with when my son and I were going to be diving in Lake Superior. She made a custom suit for my son and had it shipped to me in two weeks. You will not have to be embarrased by trying on suits at your LDS as Carolyn can walk you through the measurement process with the assistance of your husband. The nice thing about Liquid Fit is that they will alter your suit for free one time depending on the material that you use. That is a bonus for you since you have committed to a new life style, congrats on your weight loss so far. She also has some great choices for colors and patterns for suits.

Mitten Diver

I feel you pain! I don't think the manufactures have looked at the WHOLE dive community. I got my wetsuit from LiquidFit for about what a Henderson Hyperstretch would cost, and I had the luxury of going for either the "basic black" or a more "fun" color. Order now, and you should have it in plenty of time.

AmyJ:
... I am in a complete panic and totally depressed. Are all women divers sticks?????

In 31 or so years of diving I have yet to see a skinny woman diver that could be called a "stick". I have seen plenty that had fit, trim toned athletic bodies, but I see alot more men and women who are obese.

Had some trouble buying a 5mm myself recently, as I'm only 5'2"... Ended up getiing a Bodyglove wetsuit. Obviously a surfing suit, wont hold up to the wear and tear of regular diving... But it was for a week long trip to the Red Sea so that didn't matter too much. Drysuit all the way back in the cold waters of the UK! The good thing about the wetsuit was that it actually fit my height, and it's pretty flexible, plus it was only about £80 (being for surfing, not diving) so wasn't too expensive. It'll do now for my overseas holidays (when I can afford them!). One tip that was mentioned to me at the time is that if the suit is a little long, you can always roll up the bottom of the legs a bit. Apparently it's quite a common problem for us shorter ladies! :wink:

Amy Capello:
Had some trouble buying a 5mm myself recently, as I'm only 5'2"... Ended up getiing a Bodyglove wetsuit. Obviously a surfing suit, wont hold up to the wear and tear of regular diving... But it was for a week long trip to the Red Sea so that didn't matter too much. Drysuit all the way back in the cold waters of the UK! The good thing about the wetsuit was that it actually fit my height, and it's pretty flexible, plus it was only about £80 (being for surfing, not diving) so wasn't too expensive. It'll do now for my overseas holidays (when I can afford them!). One tip that was mentioned to me at the time is that if the suit is a little long, you can always roll up the bottom of the legs a bit. Apparently it's quite a common problem for us shorter ladies! :wink:

My wife is just a hair under 5'2" and we just bought her a size 8 Henderson Hyperstretch in 5mm for an upcoming trip to Roatan. The hyperstretch is great, my wife has a narrower waist and chest, but fuller hips and tush, and the hyperstretch material conforms well in all the appropriate places. She does have to pull it up abit around the ankles, otherwise its too long. I also know a lady who was in my wife's OW class last year who underwent gastric bypass surgery about a year and half ago. She also is around 5'2" or 5'3" and she went from about 250 pounds to about 130 pounds. The only off the rack wetsuit she could fit in during that time period was a Henderson Hyperstretch. If I'm not mistaken, I think she still wears the same wetsuit now.

So don't give up, there's always hope.

Good luck.

vote of sympathy from another shortie here!

I am not even 5ft 2, so find it very difficult to find anything that fits, kids stuff is too small, and adults too long (masks are a bit of a bummer too).

You will be glad to hear that there are loads of diving women about who are far from skinny and to hear that diving in itself will help you keep to your new fitness regime.

I too would not recommend relying on luck, as an ill fitting suit is uncomfortable at best. I don't know about brands particularly, but it looks as though you have already had a fair bit of advice about that.

Enjoy the trip

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom