The "Smoking" Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caseybird:
OK, if that's too spiritual, how about this: We buy air, we analyze our air, we measure our SAC rate, we custom mix air, we pay thousands of dollars to buy tanks and regs that supply our air, we judge other divers and ourselves by how much air we use, we study the effects of air, and when we're underwater we monitor exactly how much air we are carrying with us. We do all this so we will have the air we need to survive.
Then to deliberately ruin air with cigarettes? What's so great about smoking?
I like having air. I don't piss all over it.

Yes, we do.

I'm a non smoker so I have no idea what's so great about it, but there's plenty of people that are addicted to it and wish they could stop, and plenty more that simply have no desire to stop becuase they enjoy it. So why should we preach to them and belittle them? They know what they're doing.

Would you want people to tell us to stop scuba diving, something we love, becuase of the risks involved that include death... such as running out of air in a cave, running into a hungry/angry shark or into a cesspool of jelly fish, getting swept off in a high current to never be seen again, getting DCS, getting bent, overexpansion, etc?

If it only takes like a nickle a day to save some african kids life according to all those ads I used to see on TV, then from all the money this board has spent on scuba diving combined, we could've saved the entire continent.

Guess we are all selfish.

plot:
Yes, we do.

I'm a non smoker so I have no idea what's so great about it, but there's plenty of people that are addicted to it and wish they could stop, and plenty more that simply have no desire to stop becuase they enjoy it. So why should we preach to them and belittle them? They know what they're doing.

Would you want people to tell us to stop scuba diving, something we love, becuase of the risks involved that include death... such as running out of air in a cave, running into a hungry/angry shark or into a cesspool of jelly fish, getting swept off in a high current to never be seen again, getting DCS, getting bent, overexpansion, etc?

If it only takes like a nickle a day to save some african kids life according to all those ads I used to see on TV, then from all the money this board has spent on scuba diving combined, we could've saved the entire continent.

Guess we are all selfish.

When the OP asks if smoking will make him/her a better diver and some respond with a yes then I think the preaching and belittling can begin.:wink: The people who live above me sell stereo crap for a living. They tell me that I spend a ton of money on scuba so why can't they spend tons of money on stereo crap. My answer? Sure, but just remember that my scuba gear doesn't ruin your day like your stereo crap does mine. Sound travels and so does smoke. Surprisingly far actually.:(

As for the African kids, some people smoke 2 packs a day. Here in NYC that is a 10+ buck a day habit. That would go far in Africa too. Many times, the idiot who smokes 2 packs a day is also the same idiot that complains about not having enough money to pay bills. That idiot is my father.:D

I can not believe this thread is still going....... be careful this does not turn into something else.....

Meng_Tze:
I can not believe this thread is still going....... be careful this does not turn into something else.....

Shh... 3 more pages and we're gonna gonna get into proving (or dissproving) the existance of God using trigonometry and underwater geography.

The discussion will get started while talking about the pretty shapes you can make with smoke.

I can make a pretty impressive - and long lasting smoke ring. Hahaha...I've made one Actually fly across the room....intact!

I've seen chain smoking male divers cough up the nastiest wads of phlegm, and then to proceed to breathe through their gills during the dive, using less air than nonsmoking females. Wasn't good evidence to try and convince one of my friends to quit smoking.

Meng_Tze:

Maybe we can add creation vs evolution, that should fuel it for another month or so.

In the old Mark V the spit cock was used for just that, spitting chew. I have been know to do it in a super light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom