The straw that broke the divers back.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

116fire

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The straw that broke the divers back
Or
I really don’t want another diver to die
By Kevin Ward

Today I read about another dead diver, this time on the mighty O. I am sorry for all the friends and families left behind. I am sorry that I didn’t do this earlier. It may not do any good, but all a man can do try. Here is my attempt.

We owe it to ourselves to be in shape, be intelligent about our activities and our limitations.

If you are a couch potato, a disgusting fat body, gravely ill etc. You should take care of yourself for the sake of your friends and family, and those of us who may have to go into harms way to help if you get yourself into trouble.

If you choose to do a little recreational paddling around in warm calm shallow waters to look at fish, Ok. You will be safer and enjoy yourself more if you are fit, and not in danger of dieing.

But as you stray from that PADI dream world, you must hold yourself to a higher standard.

If you are “tech” diving if you don’t hold yourself to a much higher standard, you are an irresponsible careless ********.
This is not to say even if we were all supermen (and women) there wouldn’t be mishaps. On the contrary diving, and especially extreme diving are inherently dangerous. But that doesn’t absolve YOU of responsibility to maximize your chances of survival. And being a “BETTER” diver will increase your enjoyment of even relaxing rec diving.

So for an extreme diver you (should) already know this. To all divers, reasons to be a BETTER: Your in shape, comfortable in the water, and your skills are better. So your air lasts longer, you are relaxed, better able to appreciate the sights that we are there to see. You are able to deal with unexpected evens better, calmly. You are more likely to be able to help another.

So how do we know what a BETTER safer diver is?

I have heard from “old timers” about YMCA cert that took months with many days of skills training, and lots of induced stress.

I heard a story from an instructor about a CMAS training program, one of the drills was dive to the bottom of the pool, put a mask on off the bottom and clear it 3 times on one breath, surface.

Watch the Costner/Kutchner movie about Coast guard rescue divers. Or one of those discovery Channel seal training shows. Not that most of us will get anywhere near that level, but if you can handle that sort of artificial stress and high levels of exertion, it will make you a better diver.

Do drills, try to do them perfectly. Take all you gear off and put in on again, do it with good buoyancy, staying in the same spot in the pool or quarry, do it with no wasted motion.

There is a test from a life guard web page: 1) Swim 550 yards continuously using 200 yards of front crawl, 200 yards of breaststroke and 150 yard s of front crawl or breaststroke.
2) Start in the water, swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive 7 -10 feet, retrieve a 10 lb. Brick, return to the surface, swim 20 yards back to the starting point with the brick in both hands and exit the water without using a ladder or steps within 1 minute, 40 seconds. 3) Swim 5 yards, submerge and retrieve three dive rings placed 5 yards apart in 4-7 feet of water, resurface and swim 5 yards to the side of the pool.

I offer these examples so it doesn’t look like I pulled my suggestions out of thin air. To further add background, I have been a firefighter in a poor busy area of Chicago for over ten years, doing a lot of ALS medical runs. I was also on Air Sea Rescue in Chicago, for which among other things, included jumping out of a helicopter with scuba gear at night in December into lake Michigan. I am a trimix rebreather diver, I have build a rebreather, and a fill station in my garage.

My suggestions to be a BETTER diver:

Medical: Have a physical once a year. Have a stress test.

Physical: Swim, dive swim some more. If you are a technical diver you should be able to swim 550 yards in under 10 min. You should be able to swim 25yards, underwater, say 3 times on a 1 min interval. Pick up a 10# weight off the bottom and carry it up to the surface, hold it out of the water and tread water for 10 sec. Static breath hold in water for 60 sec. Just examples, and its not so much the actual standards, but that you are on the journey.
Cardio 3 times a week 30 min. This is too light if you are exceeding rec limits. Then more like a 90 min 4 times a week plus some weights, abs etc.

Just because you are certified, doesn’t mean you are educated. Learn read…

The standards for OW are dangerously low. If you don’t keep learning and practicing, you are asking for trouble.

For all the silliness surrounding DIR/GUE--(drink the Kool-Aid) They are a wonderful resource. I think their classes a bit expensive, but very sound. Take a fundies class, at least go on their web site and buy the material and read it. Their attitude towards basic skills is outstanding. Trim, buoyancy skills. When is the last time you did an OOA drill with your buddy--if the answer wasn’t the last dive we did together, it was wrong.

And of course you are CPR certified and some sort of basic first aid right?

So when there is a tech diving mishap, our after dive analysis should start like this:

Well His last stress test/and physical where clear. And even though there was a ripping current the only one who beat him back to the boat was Phelps. We see his equipment was in perfect shape and the predive check list was in order. The dive plan was flawless, and his buddy was right there to provide moral support when the hang nail occurred at depth. First aid consisting of a band aid and cold beer was administered on the boat ride back in and an emergency manicure scheduled.

Lastly I would like to put a good word in for underwater hockey. I have been playing this silly looking but great sport for a while. It will motivate you, and make you fit. Its like a good game of basketball or what ever your sport is. I go and chase the puck around the bottom of the pool for an hour and a half and don’t even realize I am getting a work out. It will make you comfortable in the water like nothing else.
The link for my club: Chicago Underwater Hockey - UWH History
The US link: USOA Underwater Hockey

Panic: If your life depends on it, you better not. If it doesn’t, why panic.
Please stay safe.

Posted on RBW, Deco stop, SB

Mainly, stay in decent shape and do some heart/lung work every week. Stokes and heart attacks involving seemingly healthy people don't count. I had a friend of mine who, at 46 years old, flopped over with a heart attack and died last year and no one, including his doctor, diagnosed a heart problem. One of those silent ones I guess.

I wonder how many divers can't currently pass an OW swim test. Over the years, I've heard a few people describe how they weren't very good swimmers, and went to the pool regularly during their OW course in order to pass the test. However, they don't seem to swim regularly now, which makes me wonder how they'd do in an emergency.

I am definitely saying a healthy diver isn't a better diver so don't jump to that conclusion before hearing me out. This has been a bad month for diver casualties but I am going to say that fitness wasn't the cause in most of those. I heard something that the accident on the Oriskany could have involved a heart problem (just speculation). I would say that most accidents aren't the direct cause of poor fitness. I am not saying that fitness doesn't sometimes complicate an issue but I don't feel its the root of the problems. I do believe we all should be healthier but I think the most important "health" is your mental health as a diver.

I am definitely saying a healthy diver isn't a better diver so don't jump to that conclusion before hearing me out. This has been a bad month for diver casualties but I am going to say that fitness wasn't the cause in most of those. I heard something that the accident on the Oriskany could have involved a heart problem (just speculation). I would say that most accidents aren't the direct cause of poor fitness. I am not saying that fitness doesn't sometimes complicate an issue but I don't feel its the root of the problems. I do believe we all should be healthier but I think the most important "health" is your mental health as a diver.

NO. You are wrong on all points except the last.

I mostly chat on RBW, and the audience here is a little different. So.
He was diving the O with a rebreather. I don't know any more facts that that. So speaking in general, not about that specific incident. Rebreathers are somewhat complicated devices, and unlike OC, just because you have gas, doesn't mean it will support life. One mode of failure is hypercapnia, too much CO2. This is scary. Think about a plastic bag over your head--plenty of gas, too much CO2. Your heart rate goes up, your respirations are very rapid. And its terrifying. If you have a weak cardio you die sooner.

Someone said fitness doesn't matter in diving until it does.

Slip off the anchor line in a stiff current. Then have a reg malfunction. Fitness.
Have to drag your buddy out of a cave--fitness.

Panic doesn't happen on the couch. It happens when things are bad, body is stressed, mind is stressed. The better you handle the physical stress, the better you will handle the mental. Take a deep breath, swim a lap underwater, try to do a complicated task, say turn a tank on and reg in mouth purge...The more relaxed you are the better you will do. And of course if you have drown before you got there...

Again, if you do relatively low key diving its one thing. But even then, fitter is more relaxed, lower air consumption. You are diving with your kid, they swim off to look at fish, then panic. So you have to kick like crazy to grab them, then try to fix the problem...

Most diver mishaps are a chain of mistakes and equipment failures. And in my opinion, in the vast majority of them better fitness would have helped.

You starrt off fine, but definitely go overboard on the degree of ability you recommend. A 550 under 10 minutes just ain't gonna happen for many folks, regardless of fitness. Especially for those of us that learned to swim at age 52. I'm happy with a 450 under 10. Multiple 25 yards underwater on 1 minute intervals? Ain't gonna happen for most people.

Get real on your recommendations!

Ken

The straw that broke the divers back
Or
I really don’t want another diver to die
By Kevin Ward

Today I read about another dead diver, this time on the mighty O. I am sorry for all the friends and families left behind. I am sorry that I didn’t do this earlier. It may not do any good, but all a man can do try. Here is my attempt.

We owe it to ourselves to be in shape, be intelligent about our activities and our limitations.

If you are a couch potato, a disgusting fat body, gravely ill etc. You should take care of yourself for the sake of your friends and family, and those of us who may have to go into harms way to help if you get yourself into trouble.

If you choose to do a little recreational paddling around in warm calm shallow waters to look at fish, Ok. You will be safer and enjoy yourself more if you are fit, and not in danger of dieing.

But as you stray from that PADI dream world, you must hold yourself to a higher standard.

If you are “tech” diving if you don’t hold yourself to a much higher standard, you are an irresponsible careless ********.
This is not to say even if we were all supermen (and women) there wouldn’t be mishaps. On the contrary diving, and especially extreme diving are inherently dangerous. But that doesn’t absolve YOU of responsibility to maximize your chances of survival. And being a “BETTER” diver will increase your enjoyment of even relaxing rec diving.

So for an extreme diver you (should) already know this. To all divers, reasons to be a BETTER: Your in shape, comfortable in the water, and your skills are better. So your air lasts longer, you are relaxed, better able to appreciate the sights that we are there to see. You are able to deal with unexpected evens better, calmly. You are more likely to be able to help another.

So how do we know what a BETTER safer diver is?

I have heard from “old timers” about YMCA cert that took months with many days of skills training, and lots of induced stress.

I heard a story from an instructor about a CMAS training program, one of the drills was dive to the bottom of the pool, put a mask on off the bottom and clear it 3 times on one breath, surface.

Watch the Costner/Kutchner movie about Coast guard rescue divers. Or one of those discovery Channel seal training shows. Not that most of us will get anywhere near that level, but if you can handle that sort of artificial stress and high levels of exertion, it will make you a better diver.

Do drills, try to do them perfectly. Take all you gear off and put in on again, do it with good buoyancy, staying in the same spot in the pool or quarry, do it with no wasted motion.

There is a test from a life guard web page: 1) Swim 550 yards continuously using 200 yards of front crawl, 200 yards of breaststroke and 150 yard s of front crawl or breaststroke.
2) Start in the water, swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive 7 -10 feet, retrieve a 10 lb. Brick, return to the surface, swim 20 yards back to the starting point with the brick in both hands and exit the water without using a ladder or steps within 1 minute, 40 seconds. 3) Swim 5 yards, submerge and retrieve three dive rings placed 5 yards apart in 4-7 feet of water, resurface and swim 5 yards to the side of the pool.

I offer these examples so it doesn’t look like I pulled my suggestions out of thin air. To further add background, I have been a firefighter in a poor busy area of Chicago for over ten years, doing a lot of ALS medical runs. I was also on Air Sea Rescue in Chicago, for which among other things, included jumping out of a helicopter with scuba gear at night in December into lake Michigan. I am a trimix rebreather diver, I have build a rebreather, and a fill station in my garage.

My suggestions to be a BETTER diver:

Medical: Have a physical once a year. Have a stress test.

Physical: Swim, dive swim some more. If you are a technical diver you should be able to swim 550 yards in under 10 min. You should be able to swim 25yards, underwater, say 3 times on a 1 min interval. Pick up a 10# weight off the bottom and carry it up to the surface, hold it out of the water and tread water for 10 sec. Static breath hold in water for 60 sec. Just examples, and its not so much the actual standards, but that you are on the journey.
Cardio 3 times a week 30 min. This is too light if you are exceeding rec limits. Then more like a 90 min 4 times a week plus some weights, abs etc.

Just because you are certified, doesn’t mean you are educated. Learn read…

The standards for OW are dangerously low. If you don’t keep learning and practicing, you are asking for trouble.

For all the silliness surrounding DIR/GUE--(drink the Kool-Aid) They are a wonderful resource. I think their classes a bit expensive, but very sound. Take a fundies class, at least go on their web site and buy the material and read it. Their attitude towards basic skills is outstanding. Trim, buoyancy skills. When is the last time you did an OOA drill with your buddy--if the answer wasn’t the last dive we did together, it was wrong.

And of course you are CPR certified and some sort of basic first aid right?

So when there is a tech diving mishap, our after dive analysis should start like this:

Well His last stress test/and physical where clear. And even though there was a ripping current the only one who beat him back to the boat was Phelps. We see his equipment was in perfect shape and the predive check list was in order. The dive plan was flawless, and his buddy was right there to provide moral support when the hang nail occurred at depth. First aid consisting of a band aid and cold beer was administered on the boat ride back in and an emergency manicure scheduled.

Lastly I would like to put a good word in for underwater hockey. I have been playing this silly looking but great sport for a while. It will motivate you, and make you fit. Its like a good game of basketball or what ever your sport is. I go and chase the puck around the bottom of the pool for an hour and a half and don’t even realize I am getting a work out. It will make you comfortable in the water like nothing else.
The link for my club: Chicago Underwater Hockey - UWH History
The US link: USOA Underwater Hockey

Panic: If your life depends on it, you better not. If it doesn’t, why panic.
Please stay safe.

Posted on RBW, Deco stop, SB

Most diver mishaps are a chain of mistakes and equipment failures. And in my opinion, in the vast majority of them better fitness would have helped.

I absolutely agree with the first statement. In the deaths I have seen you're absolutely right. But, NOT one of them had to do with fitness. The one incident I witnessed that did have to do with fitness, fortunately, did not involve a death.

Ken

NO. You are wrong on all points except the last.

I mostly chat on RBW, and the audience here is a little different. So.
He was diving the O with a rebreather. I don't know any more facts that that. So speaking in general, not about that specific incident. Rebreathers are somewhat complicated devices, and unlike OC, just because you have gas, doesn't mean it will support life. One mode of failure is hypercapnia, too much CO2. This is scary. Think about a plastic bag over your head--plenty of gas, too much CO2. Your heart rate goes up, your respirations are very rapid. And its terrifying. If you have a weak cardio you die sooner.

Someone said fitness doesn't matter in diving until it does.

Slip off the anchor line in a stiff current. Then have a reg malfunction. Fitness.
Have to drag your buddy out of a cave--fitness.

Panic doesn't happen on the couch. It happens when things are bad, body is stressed, mind is stressed. The better you handle the physical stress, the better you will handle the mental. Take a deep breath, swim a lap underwater, try to do a complicated task, say turn a tank on and reg in mouth purge...The more relaxed you are the better you will do. And of course if you have drown before you got there...

Again, if you do relatively low key diving its one thing. But even then, fitter is more relaxed, lower air consumption. You are diving with your kid, they swim off to look at fish, then panic. So you have to kick like crazy to grab them, then try to fix the problem...

Since you mention Hypercapnia. How would better fitness help there? It wouldn't at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom