The Swine Flu thing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MMM:
The media are simply reporting which is their jobs - not to interpret.
You're right and you make a lot of good points. I just don't think the media does their job very well... Lots of interpretation left up to them. YMMV And I'd never suggest that economic impact take a back seat to public health... I just think cooler heads would have prevailed. Of course, hindsight is always 20/20. :wink:

Josh, just put PiFi on ignore like lots of us have. Trying to reason with him is like trying to teach a pig how to sing, it's just gonna frustrate the he** out of you and the pig still can't sing a note. It only took a short dialog with him for me to see why so many ignore him and why he's had so many Scubaboard vacations. It just isn't worth getting your blood pressure up trying to accomplish the impossible.

lol, Well put! I've been taking the proverbial high-road reading this for over a week now... all 562 posts until I broke. I've never dived with Christi, never met her in person and never spent one dime with her well established dive op in Coz but here on SB I consider her a friend and a highly valued contributor in the Coz forum. I just couldn't sit here a read that flagrant condescending disrespect towards her. :no:

It's apparent that this thread has spun out of control especially in light of the weakening situation only providing a forum for which one can increase their post count... Okay, guilty as charged. :cool2: It's no doubt pertinent information but it's difficult to sift through it all. Perhaps it's time to put this thread to rest? I know I'm going to.

Lol... I actually keyed a response then took 10 minutes to erase it in fear of getting banned from SB for not playing nice. But I so badly wanted to tear that one apart. I believe the lack of response to such idiotic babel is response enough. :wink:

Though it was common knowledge Friday!?!?! Obama said something to the fact on Friday as well.

Aw, that's it... I've had enough already! Now that is just downright condescending and disrespectful!!! Why don't you ease up! It's been said a zillion times here how this whole thing is going to have unfathomable long lasting economic impacts to the all those that earn their livelihood on tourism in Mexico and the largely non-impacted Yucatan Peninsula. Your tone and attitude does little to put the lost income back into Christi's pocket for what has ultimately turned out to be mass media's, over-blown, exaggerated, hyped-up coverage in the wake of any political scandals or celebrity breakups nothing short or crying fire in a crowded theater. BTW... when you say "that is why we urged extra caution", do you represent WHO, CDC, US or Mexican Governments? All you did while representing "we" with all your well-intentioned ca-ca being flung about in the face of fun-loving, Coz lovers willing to throw caution to the wind and enjoy life for all it's worth in spite of all your doomsday prophecy. Get over yourself already... nobody asked you to save us all!

:clapping::clapping::clapping:BRAVO, BRAVO WOW ALL MY RESPECT TO YOU, WHEN YOU COME TO CANCUN PM ME DIVES AND BEER ON ME, :D:D:clapping::clapping:

I think maybe things are changing. I hope you're on this phone. This just showed up right into Cozumel airport and out. BTW, a key word to use often when asking for changes is "Can you accommodate me? That word seems to have a special meaning; you'll see it used on their site at times; it got me out of Cancun while hundreds were waiting for flights once. :wink:

mh4t9j.jpg

That itinerary is actually what my original one was. I've been on the phone with these people four times so far because that flight keeps popping up as available. Each time they tell me that the website information just hasn't been updated and that the 12:20 flight has been canceled. Even using 'accomodate' hasn't made the flight available...

Edit: Also - If you try to go ahead and book that flight online, it lets you get all the way through the reservation process, including taking your payment info, before it errors out. Seems to me that's a design flaw.

That itinerary is actually what my original one was. I've been on the phone with these people four times so far because that flight keeps popping up as available. Each time they tell me that the website information just hasn't been updated and that the 12:20 flight has been canceled. Even using 'accomodate' hasn't made the flight available...

Edit: Also - If you try to go ahead and book that flight online, it lets you get all the way through the reservation process, including taking your payment info, before it errors out. Seems to me that's a design flaw.
Ok, hard to say why that flight shows up at times.

Did you ask for the Continental.com help desk?

You might even book & pay for it while you have them online, as you have 24 hours to cancel with refund, I think.

Did you ask about Cancun...?

Well, I know yo can get fly Cancun if you want to...??

Last edited:
Cont Air is now offering free changes to tickets to Mexico thru the end of May now.
Unfortunately, it looks like my seat in a couple of weeks will wind up being available. Whether or not I want to go... :depressed:

But now Delta/Northwest is finally back in Lubbock and developing some routes. At first their itineraries LBB-Cancun were awful and expensive but now show less than 7 hours travel time and same fare as Cont, even tho it seems funny to fly to Memphis Tenn first. Still, it's nice to have my old airline back in addition to my new one. :eyebrow:
Apropos of nuthin': The nice thing about Delta was getting two free bags on international flights (including Central America), but as part of their lastest cost cutting measures it seems like that might be going away. :(

Last edited:
It's apparent that this thread has spun out of control............Perhaps it's time to put this thread to rest?

Totally agree....I was originally checking to get updated information but it has become somewhat disturbing to read......EVERYONE on here was SO NICE with helping me get my June vacation together. I hate to see it get like this....might be a good time to stop...

:deadhorse:

Bandmom, No worries, most folks are nice here...Most also contribute in a positive manner. What is sad is that some lose site of the main purpose of posting opinion, discussing it and then allowing people to make up there own minds. Unfortunately, some people are just rude and insulting. Time to start a new thread. Sue

Current cases of swine flu stands at about 1000 people. The overall fatality rate of swine flu so far has been fairly low, with most people not even being put in the hospital.

The rough average amount of people struck by lighting yearly is 1190.

Yeah I would say the odds of getting swine flu are pretty low.

I would bet the odds of getting swine flu are probably 50/50 for the entire population of the world over the next 2-3 years.

It doesn't look like its something to lose sleep over though...

It's winding down, thank God. Hope this decrease keeps up. It should.

Napolitano: H1N1 seems no worse than regular flu The swine flu virus that has sparked fear and precautions worldwide appears to be no more dangerous than the regular flu virus that makes its rounds each year, U.S. officials said Monday. "The severity of the flu -- how sick you get -- is not stronger than regular seasonal flu," Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said as the worldwide number of confirmed cases of 2009 H1N1 flu topped 1,085. full story

Are you sure????

How do we know that Napolitano isn't just saying that to get people to risk their lives taking vacations to Cozumel?!?!?!?!
:lol:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom