The Third Dive: The Death of Rob Stewart

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dumb question time.

1 - How can you recover a body from 220' under the ocean without "tampering" with it in some way??
2 - If it were you, and you were deceased on the bottom of the ocean, would you want the first person to find your body to get you to the surface if they were able?
3 - How many of us are planning to do 3 200'+ dives in one day anytime soon?

2 - If it were you, and you were deceased on the bottom of the ocean, would you want the first person to find your body to get you to the surface if they were able?
At that point, I doubt I would care. Only survivors care about the disposition of the body.

I was living in the Keys at the time of this accident and I remember the collective angst felt among the community. All of us wanted Rob found. While most people were searching far and wide with the Pollyanna hope that he would be found alive, floating in the Gulf Stream, only one search crew was dedicated to looking at the last spot he was seen. The conspiracy theories surrounding them trying to locate Rob are disgusting. I was and still am grateful to them doing the dirty work that everyone else avoided. The community was relieved to have this behind them, unscrupulous lawyers are trying to turn their good deed into something nefarious. Absolutely disgusting!

Thank you to all of the people who came and made valid contributions to this thread. Thank god most people are rational and prepared to consider an argument. To the few trolls that inhabit this dive forum (as they unfortunately do on so many on line locations) thank you as well. Your predictable ranting and raving drove up the numbers on this thread with only the slightest waving of a red flag. Who says the fine sport of bull baiting is dead.

I wish we knew more about the circumstances leading up to the medical examiner's termination.
What would you like to know? It's been all over the news here. I can link the news stories if you like, but the short answer is, he couldn't work with the sheriff, and the sheriff got tired of him, and caused him to seek employment elsewhere. There were three main incidents that let to his contract being terminated, Stewart was only one of them, and minor IMO. The confined space fatality in Key Largo was the final straw.

Dumb question time.

1 - How can you recover a body from 220' under the ocean without "tampering" with it in some way??
3 - How many of us are planning to do 3 200'+ dives in one day anytime soon?
1. I expect that the people who couldn't go to 220 feet would have liked to have live video and coms with the divers so that they could document the body as found. The guy is dead, the urgency is gone. Bring in a commercial dive team.
2. If I'm deceased, I'm relatively happy to be fed to the crabs. Or burned in a viking funeral with plenty of mead for my conquerors. Either way, I'm past caring. Although I'm a big fan of viking funerals and mead.
3. Everyone who wants to get their money's worth. You'd be amazed what folks are willing to do to obtain value. Tech diving from boats is about twice as expensive as recreational diving.

What would you like to know? It's been all over the news here. I can link the news stories if you like, but the short answer is, he couldn't work with the sheriff, and the sheriff got tired of him, and caused him to seek employment elsewhere. There were three main incidents that let to his contract being terminated, Stewart was only one of them, and minor IMO. The confined space fatality in Key Largo was the final straw.
Thanks Wookie. Based on the documentary last night I had the impression he was fired only because of his persistence with the stewert case. But I had the feeling the director chose to omit other details to suit his conspiracy theory.
My impression of the medical examiner is that he is an active recreational diver not an expert technical diver or expert in rebreathers. Much like my impression of the director of this ****** documentary.

To the few trolls that inhabit this dive forum
I guess it's easy to simply label anyone who disagrees with you or asks difficult questions as a Troll. It's what American politics has devolved to and I feel obligated to point that out when anyone tries that crap here. I hate to be blunt, but you're considered a "troll" by many people because of this. You've been asked questions pertaining to your credibility, your obvious partiality, and you've simply ignored them. That's something a troll would do. Don't cast aspersions before you've made a good faith effort to answer those legitimate concerns. It's not seemly and makes a lot of us question your character even more.

Thanks Wookie. Based on the documentary last night I had the impression he was fired only because of his persistence with the stewert case.
There are so many slanted views in there that it's more of a hit piece than a documentary. It appears that someone had their mind made up and went about sharing facts that appear to be prima facie valid. A deeper search, even here on SB sheds a lot of doubt on those conclusions.

Mr Osborne,
Do you have a prior relationship with any persons or businesses involved in this case? Were you able to be objective in your reporting of any events involving those with which you had prior relationships?

Just look at the f...ing ascent rates they used and come back with explanation about what deco theories tell you happens in the human body in these circumstances after 2 similar fast ascents the same day from the same depth... You can't? Well that's because there is no theory to describe what happens, just a century or more of Navy and commercial safe practice recommendations...and Sotis' own superior and immanent divination of facts, if I read him correctly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom