The Third Dive: The Death of Rob Stewart

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As of today, the Coast Guard report has not been released. It was awaiting 2 signatures. One of the signatures is from a party to the suit, so they are obviously not signing. The other is from a government organization who doesn't want to sign someone else's report.

According to a person on the boat during the recovery (I don't use names because I don't have permission to speak for them) they called the coast guard as soon as the body floated. The body was not boated until some time later. The coast guard was there within a time unit measured in "seconds", like within 30 seconds later.

I speak to the same folks Osbourne did, although I had no idea who Osbourne was, only that there was a documentarian making a documentary.

Thanks Wookie, but:

Why would the "party of the suit" not sign and I don't understand the government organization who does not want to sign someone else's report?

The statement from the people doing the recovery are known but their validity are now seriously held in question!

Thanks Wookie, but:

Why would the "party of the suit" not sign and I don't understand the government organization who does not want to sign someone else's report?

The statement from the people doing the recovery are known but their validity are now seriously held in question!
Perhaps that will be answered for us in the documentary, or perhaps the CG will release the report without a signature. But all I can tell you is that 2 signatures are missing and the report is not yet released.

There seems to be some question about the credibility of @Rosborne as a journalist. As a former journalism instructor, I understand the need for establishing journalistic credibility. I would therefore suggest that @Rosborne respond to two issues.

1. Please describe your background as a journalist, including training and any employment for known journalism organizations, such as newspapers, news services, or news websites.

2. In the Code of Ethics from the Society of Professional Journalists, the third section (Act Independently) tells journalists that they must "Avoid conflicts of interest, real or perceived. Disclose unavoidable conflicts."

Can you please disclose any conflict of interest, including any unavoidable conflict, as is required by the SPJ Code of Ethics? Do you have any connections to any of the individuals or organizations involved in this affair?

Someone please translate this question so I can respond.
I don't know what he means, but I think he is questioning your math.

365 * 25 is 9,125 days. Two dives a day for twenty five years without a break? From age 12? Even if some days were three or four. Entirely implausible. Makes you question the entire premise from the outset. I'd say sensational journalism - #fuggedabowtit.
As I understand it, he supposedly had 10,000 dives in 25 years. If you divide 10,000 by 25, you get 400 dives per year needed to reach that total. That is quite a few, but it is only a little over 1 dive a day.

Although I find it unlikely, it may depend upon your philosophy of logging dives. There is a current thread running on that, and some of the people advocate logging every hyperbaric exposure, including pool dives. If I had logged all the times I taught OW and DSD classes in a swimming pool, I would have a very impressive dive total.

I don't know what he means, but I think he is questioning your math.

As I understand it, he supposedly had 10,000 dives in 25 years. If you divide 10,000 by 25, you get 400 dives per year needed to reach that total. That is quite a few, but it is only a little over 1 dive a day.

Although I find it unlikely, it may depend upon your philosophy of logging dives. There is a current thread running on that, and some of the people advocate logging every hyperbaric exposure, including pool dives. If I had logged all the times I taught OW and DSD classes in a swimming pool, I would have a very impressive dive total.

John, our math is identical. 9,125 days if you dive once every day for 25 years (excluding leap day dives). I don't believe that anyone has dived that frequently over a 25 years span especially considering that at least 10 years were in primary, high school and college.

You cant get 10000 dives in 25 years without doing 3 dives a day

You cant get 10000 dives in 25 years without doing 3 dives a day

Not sure why not. If you dive once daily and then twice the next day, you easily accomplish 10,000. (365+182)*25= 13,675 dives. No three dive days. I doubt that this is simply possible by any human being.

A twenty-five yo only has 13 diving years, and of those, approx 6 they are in school full time. Given this is the context, do you still think it’s reasonable?

Not sure why not. If you dive once daily and then twice the next day, you easily accomplish 10,000. (365+182)*25= 13,675 dives. No three dive days. I doubt that this is simply possible by any human being.

A twenty-five yo only has 13 diving years, and of those, approx 6 they are in school full time. Given this is the context, do you still think it’s reasonable?

Have you actually read this thread? Seriously? He was 37 not 25. I was the one that stated that 10,000 was impossible. I wish that people would read the entire thread or at least the last 10 posts before making inane comments. Post above was referring to arithmetic not physical possibility of completion.

Back
Top Bottom