The time has come...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jw welcome to diving!
I love that excitement you get before training.
It is a huge motivated that when channeled correctly can be your biggest help in the world.
Make it serve you!

Pour it into focus and be awareness.
Calm the urge to act out of excitement but be purposeful reacting from skill training.
As stated before visualize yourself performing skills and drills you worked on in the pool.
Believe it or not there is a zone where everyone operates well getting there can be a recipe of very personal origin.

Personally for me it takes mental preparation.
Confidence in my knowledge, confidence in my skills, confidence in my instructor.
A mantra I repeat many times is: "SLOW IS SMOOTH AND SMOOTH IS FAST!"
Especially when performing skills you will naturally want to be fast....SLOW DOWN the skill will go SMOOTHER thus actually going FASTER!
Sound nutty but it works.
I put my gear on and off, double/triple checked it, performed skills in my living room / shower.
I took dive training more serous than about anything I took on, the reward was huge!

Good luck with your training.
You are going to do great keep the positive attitude and channel that excitement to assist you.

CamG

Thank you for your responses!

I said I was apprehensive, reading these replies I think it's more excitement and looking forward to getting into the water, exploring deeper than a meter or so. My instructor(s) are extremely thorough and are always willing to help and take their students out so that instils great confidence in you as a newbie!

I'm (hopefully) getting all kitted out tonight and next week (weights, suits, hood, gloves etc.) to get an idea what I need for Open Water then we'll plan some days out in an inland site. I will be sure to let you know how it goes!! :)
Remember the first open water dive is really a fun dive.

Have you have the opportunity to use you suit in the pool? To get used to the difference in buoyancy.

As others have said have fun relax and enjoy the dive.

I think..you've got all the info needed to help with your training...with ONE important exception....BRING DONUTS!!:wink:

JW, welcome to the underwater world. You are going to do just fine. If your instructor was not comfortable with your skills you would not be heading to open water. Be in the moment and enjoy! When you finish your cert the excitement will really begin.

Some things will be a bit different, so anticipate that the visibility is not as good as in the pool, the water will probably be moving a bit, it will be colder...

Remember the first open water dive is really a fun dive.

Is that also the case with BSAC?

Some things will be a bit different, so anticipate that the visibility is not as good as in the pool, the water will probably be moving a bit, it will be colder...

Is that also the case with BSAC?

From the Instructor Manual:
Achievement Targets
At the end of this lesson students should:
● Have had an enjoyable dive

I think they should always be enjoyable, even when doing exercises. A bit of extra stress is normal because it's a new situation, but new divers shouldn't see it as a bad experience.
My question was because with PADI the first OW dive is truly a fun dive i.e., there are no exercises, just a swim around. And I was wondering if the first dive with BSAC was the same. Because in my CMAS training it was not. In all but the last dive there were exercises.

Back
Top Bottom