The Truth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Orlando Eric

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
:lotsalove: Turns out all the stuff I read at Kayuba and at Jim Spears was true.

I took my yak into the Ocean Blue today for a snorkel training day. The waves were around 3' Very Steep well actually NOAA called them Average but they were steep enough to curl over with a mild wind of about 5-10. Certainley not the nice mounds and valleys.

I carried the yak about 50 yards to the water line. The little anchor slid from the stern to the bow and offset the balance enough it began to strain my neck. I was surprised but I guess the yak only being 60# and the wieght moved 15' it made a difference.

I used the drag to waterline Sit, Scoot, Float, Paddle method. This worked great! The waves washed over the bow completely submerging the front hatch but she popped right back up ready to go.

I got out to the 2nd reef line and moved to the sand inbetween. I deployed the anchor, it is about 3 lbs folding but the grapples have a spoon shape for sand. It grabbed and held well. THe shock cord in front barely moved the yak holds in place easily.

I opened the center hatch and found about half a gallon of water sloshing back and forth. I pullled out my fins, mask and snorkel.. Rouge wave added about 3 gallons to the bilge.. nice!..:no:

Put the fins on no drama. Putting the mask on I had to remove my hat and sunglasses. Stored them. Went to take my shirt off and I could just tell she was going over.. I jumped over the side thinking she might right herself.. nope I flipped it back easily. MUCH easier than say a Sunfish Sailboat and WAY WAY easier than a Hobie Cat.

I still had all my gear... because............ I had everything leashed!:kiss2: THank you Kayuba website.

The water felt cool shirtless. I pulled out my shorty from the dry bag-- way way easier to do this from the water than balancing the yak. I put the shorty on in the water which I found easier than taking my tank top off on the yak.

I swam with the anchor in had and had no sinking problems as I had calculated. THis is how I plan to yak dive by holding the anchor and dragging the yak not with a reel.

I jumped back in.. piece of cake. I jumped out and back in about five times no issues.

I paddled forward, picked up the anchor line with the paddle blade and pulled it in. It stores nicely in the sonar hatch.

I paddled in. I could feel the very powerful push as the waves passed. I decided to see if I could ride into the beach. ALL the sites recommend against this. :popcorn:

I got on a nice curl and off she went. I paddled, dragged and leaned WAY back keeping her nose high. Then something happened. She began to nose dive I tried to paddle, lean, yell Oh.. SH--oot and when I saw the front hatch underwater I knew the Endo was coming. She stuffed nose first stern slide and over she went.

I had to take off after the $130.00 paddle the leash (store bought) broke. I got the paddle, righted the yak. Stuffed all the stuff back on deck and pulled her in without drama.

Lessons Learned:

Leash everything.. with SHORT leashes mine are too long and I got tangled up in them a bit on the endo.

The bungie cord over the tank well sucks.

The water tight hatches, aren't . May be spalsh proof but that is it.

Make your own paddle leash out of Line from west marine I just tied one up in seconds out of Dacor line.

EVERY thing not in a dry bag gets wet. My glock, wallet, and marine radio goes in a pelican box.

ALL the stuff you need for diving should be above decks. Do not open a hatch unless you HAVE HAve HAVE too.

GET off and walk her in.. there is some kind of master JuJu to riding her in on the surf.

First time out and it went acceptable. By July 29th I should have the kinks worked out.

Eric,
Thanks for the report. It sounds like it went well overall. :D I'm going to try it this weekend weather permitting. You gave me some good advice. Now some questions for you. What are you using for leashes? I have a paddle leash, but what are you using to secure your other gear? In other words what kind kind of leash is it and where did you get it? Also you said, "The bungie cord over the tank well sucks." This is where I plan on putting my B.C. and tank. Did the bungees not hold them well? I'm going to use my dive flag leashed somehow to the front and tow the yak this way. I don't have an anchor yet. Wish me luck! I'm also looking forward to July 29th!
Dan

Thanks for the lessons learned, Eric. I haven't taken mine out into the ocean yet. I need a buddy... I don't want to do it by myself.

I received a clear water report from Deep-6. Sounds like it's a good time to dive our favorite gang hangout... Oh yeah... you cleaned that place up. :)

I'm almost tempted to go on Friday. All I need is a little arm twisting, and I'll take a vacation day to yakdive... Saturday is a possibility, too. Sunday is taboo... Mother's Day... and it's not payday, either... I'm going to stay home and keep the wife happy... :)

Eric,
Also you said, "The bungie cord over the tank well sucks." This is where I plan on putting my B.C. and tank. Did the bungees not hold them well?

I read somewhere to get rid of those bungies over the tank well and get the straps with buckles. If I find the link, I'll post it.

I probably wrote that, Al! The bungies SUCK. I love the buckles. Got 'em at Kayak Jeff's.

I am off on Fridays and I can't go THIS Friday but I'm more or less game from now until Veteran's Day...that's usually about my last dive of the year due to water temps.

Great report Eric, don't hate me for laughing! :)

Eric,
..What are you using for leashes? I have a paddle leash, but what are you using to secure your other gear? .. "The bungie cord over the tank well sucks." This is where I plan on putting my B.C. and tank. Did the bungees not hold them well? .. I don't have an anchor yet. ...
Dan

I am cheap and know a little bit about knots. I bought some 100% braided Dacron at West Marine and made my own leashes. Take Brass or SS Snap hooks. Tie a loop with a figure eight on one end and secure the snap to the other I used an anchor bend knot. Bungess held everything well. Trying to balance the yak, reach behind myself and get all my stuff untangled from the bungee web was interesting. Need to be able to reach back with ONE hand and click.. done. BUY an ANCHOR-- EVERY boat should have LOTS of rope and at least ONE anchor.

I received a clear water report from Deep-6. Sounds like it's a good time to dive our favorite gang hangout... Oh yeah... you cleaned that place up. :)

I'm almost tempted to go on Friday. All I need is a little arm twisting, and I'll take a vacation day to yakdive... Saturday is a possibility, too.
I am off the 13th (sleep day) and the 14th (play day) Then on the 21st and 22nd. We have been ontop of Pepper Park so far so good. The Sheriff got sick of the three years in a row memorial day shooting there and gave us Carte Blanche to remove droopy drawers and ghetto rides.

I probably wrote that, Al! The bungies SUCK. I love the buckles. Got 'em at Kayak Jeff's.

I am off on Fridays and I can't go THIS Friday but I'm more or less game from now until Veteran's Day...that's usually about my last dive of the year due to water temps.

Which WHEELEZ did you get? Did you get the cart then the upgrade beach wheels?? It is around $200.00 for that? :shocked2: I need to get online.. I'm handy with PVC , hacksaw and glue.
Kayak Jeff have an online store.. he needs one.
Debby can bike 200 miles. Swim 2 miles... slide 20 yards on asphalt-- then ride again but a little of the 68* water.. brrr hot chocolate and a snuggie:coffee:

ScubaDad -- I am going to make contact with the guy who has the rentals just north of pepper park. There is a gianormous field over there. I am going to see if he will "rent spaces" by the day for yak launching It would be nicer than PP.

I am off the 13th (sleep day) and the 14th (play day) Then on the 21st and 22nd.
I'm off on the 22nd. :D

Which WHEELEZ did you get?
Kayak Cart Mini - from Wheeleez.

It sucks on the sand though, so I just drag the yak in the sand or get a cute lifeguard to pick up a handle and help me carry it. :blinking:
Debby can bike 200 miles. Swim 2 miles... slide 20 yards on asphalt-- then ride again but a little of the 68* water.. brrr hot chocolate and a snuggie:coffee:
I get cold in 78* water too. :shocked2:

I bought the wheeleez with the jumbo tires. I got a 85$ gift card with the purchase of a yak so I used part of that to buy the big one. I figured I'd need it with my scuba gear in the yak. I don't like making 2 trips.

Now that you mention it... I remember your post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom