The wing picture and stats thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UFScubaDiver:
Hey Guys,
I just wanted to post this on the list and let you know that the extreme as well as "elvis" are the real deal. I was home for the weekend and visited the oxycheq wharehouse with my cousin, im still amazed that these incredible products are comming out of my backyard. Anyway, on to the wing. I hearby atest to seeing the extreme being punished by a razor knife. Multiple times throughout our hour and a half conversation patrick picked up the wing and gave it multiple slashes. Not only did it not tear the wing to shreads, but it also did not leave any marks. I find this rather remarkable considering I talked to him on the phone about the wing when he got the prototype about a month ago, and he was slashing it over the phone. I figured there would atleast be marks from almost a months worth of direct slashing to the shell, but there were none. If you are in the area and want to see something pretty crazy go visit the facility. Patrick answered all of my questions in detail, showed us many new products that arent on the site, and gave us a tour, what more could you ask for. Plus he will probably tell you some funny things about the industry that you never knew that you will get a laugh out of. As to elvis, I was there when the first ones showed up from UPS, they look pretty slick. Hey and if your lucky maybe you can reserve an extreme like me! -Tom

Thanks Tom,
Very much appreciate the information. I was hoping you could ellaborate on the heft/weight of the extreme wing example you saw. I'm hoping it feels heavier to the hand than other wings...heft give an impression of durability. If this goes beyond what Patrick wants to reveal, I can wait. Hurry up DEMA!!!

Randy

jrk:
Thanks Tom,
Very much appreciate the information. I was hoping you could ellaborate on the heft/weight of the extreme wing example you saw. I'm hoping it feels heavier to the hand than other wings...heft give an impression of durability. If this goes beyond what Patrick wants to reveal, I can wait. Hurry up DEMA!!!

Randy

Randy,

The Extreme shell is actually an ounce lighter than our normal shell. We increased puncture and abrasion resistance even though the shell is lighter. Hard to imagine, but true.

Also, the material is more abrasion and puncture resistant than any material being used on wings or bcs. It is even more puncture and abrasion resistant than Kevlar.

Best regards,

Patrick
---
OxyCheq
http://oxycheq.com

jrk, I will attempt to elaborate on what Patrick said. The wing is a little lighter then the normal shell as a whole, but when you feel it with your hands it feels stronger, which is suprising. It also seemed to fold up and be packed pretty easily which again was also suprising considering how tough it is and feels. This is the toughest wing I have seen, bar none. Hope this clears some stuff up. I mean what other wing can take a razor blade slash and resist being punctured by darts? -Tom

UFScubaDiver:
jrk, I will attempt to elaborate on what Patrick said. The wing is a little lighter then the normal shell as a whole, but when you feel it with your hands it feels stronger, which is suprising. It also seemed to fold up and be packed pretty easily which again was also suprising considering how tough it is and feels. This is the toughest wing I have seen, bar none. Hope this clears some stuff up. I mean what other wing can take a razor blade slash and resist being punctured by darts? -Tom

Tom,

Good point on the flexibility of the wing.

Best regards,

Patrick
----
OxyCheq
httop://oxycheq.com

Length: 25"

Width:
Deflated: 21"
Inflated: 17" - 15.5" (The wing tapers slightly from top to bottom)

14" corrugated hose

The wing cover is made from 2000 denier Cordura nylon. The bladder is a 560 denier Cordura nylon with a polyurethane coating. The bladder is horseshoe type.

GolemDeflatedTop.jpg

Top View - Deflated

GolemDeflatedBottom.jpg

Bottom View - Deflated

GolemInflatedTop.jpg

Top View - Inflated

GolemInflatedBottom.jpg

Bottom View - Inflated

This wing is constructed of very tough materials, which was one of the key reasons why I purchased it (avoid sending it halfway across the world for repairs). The wing has an integrated "STA", so you will not need a separate STA when using this wing with a backplate. In practice, the integrated STA works very well. The inflator mechanism is very sturdy, with stainless steel internals and buttons. The wing drains easily via the three grommets per side at the bottom of the wing.

As an aside, the cam bands are very durable with heavy gauge stainless steel buckles. I would dive with confidence with only one of these bands secured. The finish on the backplate is also very good, with a mirror finish to the plate edges. The complete BP/Wing is supplied pre-rigged with a one-piece webbing harness and all the stainless D-rings, inner tube loops, bungee and buckle (useful for us beginners). It is also supplied complete with a DIR-style knife and sheath. The only item that I recommend should be added when ordering is a set of backplate screws.

The official description and order page can be found here.

ShoalDiverSA:
Length: 25"

Width:
Deflated: 21"
Inflated: 17" - 15.5" (The wing tapers slightly from top to bottom)

14" corrugated hose

The wing cover is made from 2000 denier Cordura nylon. The bladder is a 560 denier Cordura nylon with a polyurethane coating. The bladder is horseshoe type.

GolemDeflatedTop.jpg

Top View - Deflated

GolemDeflatedBottom.jpg

Bottom View - Deflated

GolemInflatedTop.jpg

Top View - Inflated

GolemInflatedBottom.jpg

Bottom View - Inflated

This wing is constructed of very tough materials, which was one of the key reasons why I purchased it (avoid sending it halfway across the world for repairs). The wing has an integrated "STA", so you will not need a separate STA when using this wing with a backplate. In practice, the integrated STA works very well. The inflator mechanism is very sturdy, with stainless steel internals and buttons. The wing drains easily via the three grommets per side at the bottom of the wing.

As an aside, the cam bands are very durable with heavy gauge stainless steel buckles. I would dive with confidence with only one of these bands secured. The finish on the backplate is also very good, with a mirror finish to the plate edges. The complete BP/Wing is supplied pre-rigged with a one-piece webbing harness and all the stainless D-rings, inner tube loops, bungee and buckle (useful for us beginners). It is also supplied complete with a DIR-style knife and sheath. The only item that I recommend should be added when ordering is a set of backplate screws.

The official description and order page can be found here.

Andrew,
I too dive this wing for single app although I had Jakub have one made without the integrated STA as I prefer an external STA. Very robust...most robust I've found until I started hearing about Patrick's new wing.

Randy

Randy,

I am in the process of getting an STA made down here, as I would prefer to have an external STA too. I like being able to strip down my gear after a day's diving for a good clean and to prevent the BP (and hardware) from damaging the wing in transit. With an integrated STA, this becomes a bit of an exercise...

My need for an external STA has nothing to do with how well the integrated STA does its intended function. Once the cam bands are cinched down, the tank is attached firmly to the backplate. Even with a lot of force, it is difficult to note any meaningful deflection of the tank.

I will have to remove the integrated STA rods, but I am sure it will not be too difficult (I hope).

It is a very robust wing, and I am hoping to never test the puncture resistance of the bladder...!

Cheers,

Andrew

patrick - I hope we get more of your stuff here in the Philippines. I just recently ordered 3 sets of evolve wings and after 1 month Im still waiting for it. I just found out about the vertex today and wish I found out about it sooner than I had made a down payment.

Axua:
patrick - I hope we get more of your stuff here in the Philippines. I just recently ordered 3 sets of evolve wings and after 1 month Im still waiting for it. I just found out about the vertex today and wish I found out about it sooner than I had made a down payment.

Axua,

Yes, the site REALLY needs a MAJOR overhaul. We have 20 wings in stock and soon to be 23. Only about half of our wings are on the site. Just been too busy to make the changes. I think there are about 60 products that have been in stock that are not on the site and another 40 will be announced soon. I do like our products and it is not an intention to keep them for myself. :)

The Vertex 55 has been out approximately one year now and we'll annouce the Vertex 42 at DEMA in addition to a number of other new products.

I keep saying that I am done with wing development and everytime I say that, I think of some other things. I hope to take a breather here soon on wings even though I will continue to make some prototypes. I actually have about five other ideas related to wings in the back of my head and sooner or later those ideas will be reality.

Next year I want to focus on some big items and that will take an investment in time and funding. I doubt I will bring 100 new products to the line next year like I did this year, but the ones I work on will certainly be significant.

Best regards,

Patrick
---
OxyCheq
http://oxycheq.com

Here are some photos of my Agir-Brokk rig, including STA and tank bands. I include them here as an addendum to Stephen Ash's prior review of Agir-Brokk's Blackbird 36 single tank wing because Agir-Brokk has since modified its design. The Blackbird 36 now has a toroidal bladder as opposed to the previous 'horseshoe' shaped bladder.

The quality of Agir-Brokk's gear is excellent. Robust and well designed, Agir-Brokk's backplate|wing products are definitely among the best DIR based gear in the world.

The geometry of Agir-Brokk's backplates have a relatively flat shape and shallow channel compared to other backplates I've seen. Also, Agir-Brokk's uses 316 stainlees steel for their backplates, a detail that was important to me. Tord Mattsson of Agir-Brokk described for me their backplate manufacturing thusly:

The backplates (in steel) are made of marine grade stainless steel (called SS316 in American industrial terms). It is first water cut (waterjet/water flow jet) out. Then we grind the sides and slots/traces. After that we bend them. The thicker ones, 6mm (1/4"), are bent by a company close to us. They have a strong machine for that (110 tons). After that we first sandblast them, and on top of that, we glass blast to get the right look :)

And look great they certainly do!

I ordered this rig directly from Sweden and was very pleased to work with Tord Mattsson and Ingrid to complete my order. They were patient and very helpful as I worked out the details of the transaction. If someone can't find an Agir-Brokk product locally, I recommend ordering straight from Agir-Brokk in Nacka, Sweden as I did. The service was outstanding, shipping was very swift, and the price was very affordable, cheaper in fact than similar DIR rigs sold in the US!

Sadamune

Back
Top Bottom