Theft or gear mix-up on liveaboards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I’ll be going on my first liveaboard soon and thinking about marking my gear to prevent mix-ups mainly, but are thefts or gear mix-ups a concern at all on liveaboards, considering there are only about 20 passengers onboard and there’s really no place to escape after a theft?

Also, do people leave everything out on the dive deck after each dive, including lights, computers, cameras, etc?

I’ve heard of people inadvertently picking up other people’s wetsuits and stuff from public storage areas in land-based resorts (eg. Cocoview) but have not heard of such happening on liveaboards. Should I be concerned?

No, I think it very unlikely that there would be a gear theft on a liveaboard. Mark your gear, however as a lot of dive gear looks alike. Most liveaboards would have a table set up inside for charging cameras and lights.

I'll make some bold assertions:

Theft is not a concern. By the end of the week, everyone is your friend. No crew member would risk their job to steal something.

There is usually a camera table to leave cameras. I take my computer with me, but not out of concern over theft; rather, the concern is possible damage if I were to toss it in my assigned bin on the dive deck.

Mixups will quickly be discovered, but marking your gear with your name is never a bad idea. I haven't done it, but I should.

I've experienced one case of liveaboard theft (camera), generally the demographics of those who can afford these trips makes them unlikely to be interested in theft. I DO mark all my gear with nice UW stickers with my name ( www.divesigns.com ), or with a variety of different customized name tags (both 'hard' and 'soft') available @ ( www.yourbagtag.com ). I also use unique colors (primarily Orange) so my gear has an overall mix of Black/Orange themes. I like Orange because it stands out, easy to spot (like I use custom Orange lettered neoprene mask straps with my name, (as one of many examples) so that my black scuba mask(s) can be easily spotted in the crowd ...... www.yourbagtag.com ....... I also have Orange Apollo Bio Fins, which NOBODY else will have. I also use other unique color pattern themes, for example, ALL my reg sets use a RED Miflex BCD hose and a GREEN Miflex HP SPG hose, (plus I've got a RED 'hard' name tag with my name/contact info zip-tied to the 1st-stage) makes my gear stand out instantly from everyone else's drab/black/anonymous gear. My wetsuits use custom Orange zipper pull with name embroidered, to avoid any mix ups.

Last edited:
I put my ScubaBoard name on everything because doing a google search on my real name would give 10,000 results, but "Scuba + Johnoly" only returns one single result and the finder can easily contact me. Neoprene get marked inside with Tulip brand fabric paint(name only). Regs, BC, camera, speargun get's a ziptided engraved dog tag available at any Walmart for $7. Tag reads "Reward$>name>cell#
"

I just did a google test and "scuba + dogbowl" was the 5th entry given with your info on it.

I've returned alot of 'found' gear and it's not just about making a new lifelong friend,,,,it's about "Dive Karma",,and trust me, Dive Karma is very real.

Last edited:
Theft during live-aboard voyages is a rarity. While a boat is docked in a port though, I do not leave my most valuable items out on deck. (This occasionally happens just after boarding before sailing, or upon return to port prior to disembarkation. It is not uncommon for your boat to return to port a day before you disembark, and gear is left out to dry prior to packing. In those cases I’ll hand dry my most valuable items, ((cameras, strobes, housings, and computers)), and stow them in my cabin should I care to leave the boat for drinks, dinner, or other land based activities).

After you board, you’ll be briefed on the boats’ standard protocol regarding gear stowage during the cruise. Most of the scores of boats that I’ve been on have sufficient space for each person to keep their equipment; many just have you leave your BC/reg set up on a tank, provide a crate to stow your mask, fins, and accessories, hangers for suits, and specific camera tables or racks.

It can’t hurt to mark your personal gear just to avoid mix ups with any compatriots who may have equipment that’s identical or similar in appearance to your own. I have made more than one dive wearing someone else’s fins either by accident, (I took theirs by mistake), or necessity, (they took mine).

I hope that you enjoy your first live-aboard cruise, and that your experiences are the stuff that dreams are made of.

After several liveaboards, I have never had nor heard of this happening. Well, I lost my mind on the Belle Amie, but that was due to the insanely good diving! :D :D :D

I wouldn't worry about theft on a liveaboard, but marking all gear is always a good idea. Helps you, helps others, maybe helps the crew. Some boats will have someone on watch in case they have any concerns about people _not_ from the boat.

Mixups are possible anywhere, but seem more likely on land than a liveaboard. Good chance a liveaboard will be a smaller group of people than at a dive resort, you're gearing up in close proximity and tend to get familiar with other peoples gear. And since you're packing up at more or less the same time, any mistakes will probably be caught before your wetsuit flies to Chicago. I like to replace any pull tabs/cord on wetsuits with something different/bright, on the theory it's more likely to get noticed than a name (unless you go crazy with puffy paint...)

Great info, tips and advice.

I’ve purchased some stickers, oil-based Sharpies and puffy paint. Not much of an artist but I’ll see what I can do!

against real robbery too difficult to protect. but against accidental thieft you can try to use two things:
1. to mark your equipment: Ideal for oily and dusty surfaces • 8750 industry paint marker - edding.com
e-8750-slider-orange.jpg

e.g. I used edding 950 industry painter for marking on rough or rusty surfaces - edding.com to paint my fins:
e-950-slider-blue.jpg

https://content.foto.my.mail.ru/mail/raven123/1854/h-2048.jpg or https://content.foto.my.mail.ru/mail/raven123/1854/h-2258.jpg - fins rib colored in my flag
i-2258.jpg

2. and something like
KB6DR%20COLOURS%20NO%20LOGO%20.jpg

to clip all your equipment together.

When it in one piece - it is more difficult to others to make changes between computers, masks etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom