Theft or gear mix-up on liveaboards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That’s what I was thinking too...if people leave everything on the dive deck overnight, and if the seas are rough, or the wind is strong, wouldn’t stuff fall overboard or get blown off? Wouldn’t cameras fall off the shelves? LOL. Sometimes I get a lot of newbie thoughts!

...speaking of which (wind blowing) you may like these: FixClip ( www.fixclip.se ) I bought mine off Amazon.

Additionally, Ive found these very beneficial for helping secure scuba tanks in boat racks: SMS 100 RIGGING KIT (I referenced these to show you a picture of what I'm talking about as I forget exactly what brand mine are, but you get the idea) Mine (a pair) are 22" long. Some boats don't have a 'tank bungie containment system' to prevent tanks from popping out of their tank holders, so I bring my own. There's nothing scarier than hearing/watching someone's fully-loaded entire tank/weights/BCD/reg set up pop out of it's holder and come crashing to the boat deck due to a rogue wave or poor fit in the tank holder, especially with 3000 psi ready to burst out ! (YES, this has happened to me, and I've see it happen to others!)

Also, best practice is to NOT leave weights loaded in integrated BCD pockets all the time, it makes your 'rig' top heavy and more prone to pop out of the tank rack. At an absolute minimum I'd keep the weights unloaded overnite, so remove loaded weight pockets after the last dive of the day.

...speaking of which (wind blowing) you may like these: FixClip ( www.fixclip.se ) I bought mine off Amazon.

Additionally, Ive found these very beneficial for helping secure scuba tanks in boat racks: SMS 100 RIGGING KIT (I referenced these to show you a picture of what I'm talking about as I forget exactly what brand mine are, but you get the idea) Mine (a pair) are 22" long. Some boats don't have a 'tank bungie containment system' to prevent tanks from popping out of their tank holders, so I bring my own. There's nothing scarier than hearing/watching someone's fully-loaded entire tank/weights/BCD/reg set up pop out of it's holder and come crashing to the boat deck due to a rogue wave or poor fit in the tank holder, especially with 3000 psi ready to burst out ! (YES, this has happened to me, and I've see it happen to others!)

Also, best practice is to NOT leave weights loaded in integrated BCD pockets all the time, it makes your 'rig' top heavy and more prone to pop out of the tank rack. At an absolute minimum I'd keep the weights unloaded overnite, so remove loaded weight pockets after the last dive of the day.
This boat has very secure tank holders. Including bungee cords. No need to bring anything. You can leave your weights installed for the week.

Worst problem you will have is becoming a member of the bungee diver hall of fame.

This boat has very secure tank holders. Including bungee cords. No need to bring anything. You can leave your weights installed for the week.

Worst problem you will have is becoming a member of the bungee diver hall of fame.

I have mine in my save-a-dive kit as one never knows exactly what tank holding 'facilities' any given live aboard will have or not have.

That’s what I was thinking too...if people leave everything on the dive deck overnight, and if the seas are rough, or the wind is strong, wouldn’t stuff fall overboard or get blown off? Wouldn’t cameras fall off the shelves? LOL. Sometimes I get a lot of newbie thoughts!

It's always a good idea to look after your own stuff, but on the boats I've been on the crew will check to make sure things are secure in case of rough weather.

That's for those who put their regulators on the tank without noticing the bungee securing it, and then try to stand up. I saw at least four tanks set up that way on the run out to Cocos Island a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
I've only gone on one liveaboard, up in Scapa Flow. It is slightly different than most liveaboards as we moored up every afternoon/evening in Stromness. And we would leave everything out on the boat. And by everything I mean all of our kit, which included rebreathers and top of the line drysuits, twinsets, regs, etc. Personal items, such as laptops, were left in the bunks, which just had a curtain across the doorway. Most evenings the boat would be empty as we would go out to dinner, the pub, or general exploring. This is common up in Orkney for all of the boats. No one has ever heard of anything going missing

It's always a good idea to look after your own stuff, but on the boats I've been on the crew will check to make sure things are secure in case of rough weather.

Ideally, in a perfect world, that will happen...then there's the real world, with Murphy's Law.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom