there are no whale sharks in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Dillehay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have no idea how the idea got out there. BUt whale shark tours can only be operated out of Isla Mujeres or Holbox Island, Which are both major treks from Cozumel. Yes, it can be done but perhaps someone is misleading people

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Has anyone ever actually seen Whale Sharks in the waters around Cozumel? I dove with them south of Playa Del Carmen, but have never even heard of them in Cozumel.

Last edited:
Yes, one boat captain I know did see a whale shark while his divers were down. He was awed and surprised to see it and said it was longer than his boat. Unfortunately his group of divers did not see it. This happened quite a few years ago. Don't know which Cozumel reef.

On a side note: I don't mean to get too far off topic here, but I was just curious if anyone has ever seen Whale Sharks in the waters around Cozumel? I have dove with them over in Playa, but have never even heard of them in Cozumel.
I saw one once when I was out fishing across the channel near Playa del Carmen. Must be 20 years ago now.

I have no idea how the idea got out there. BUt whale shark tours can only be operated out of Isla Mujeres or Holbox Island, Which are both major treks from Cozumel. Yes, it can be done but perhaps someone is misleading people

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Wasn't there someone operating a tour with a little dinky plane to Mujeres from Cozumel then out on a boat?

It would be pretty rare to see a whale shark in Cozumel. I have seen one once in Playa Del Carmen. Tours are advertised here for whale sharks but the actual site is out past Ilsa Mujares and Holbox area. It is a early morning (6am ferry) shuttle to Cancun and out from there on a boat. Its roughly an hr boat ride to where the whale sharks are which is usually blue water. Yesterday we had hundreds of whale sharks and many mantas as well. The mantas were actually breaching the water! matt-3.jpgmatt-4.jpgmatt.jpgmatt-2.jpg

Last edited:
Dave - there is an Advertisement just to the left side of this forum that says "Whale Sharks in Cozumel".
Yes. One of them pays to advertise on ScubaBoard. The other one doesn't :)

We were there today. The whale sharks were closely bunched and sorta estimating an average based the numbers I was hearing, there were probably 100 of them. fins everywhere you look. The boat captain estimated 200. They were swimming all around us and around the boat. Sometimes the whale sharks would have to back out to avoid running over the swimmers in front of them. Great experience and well worth the time and money.

Saw a stack of 9 mantas too. Wow!

It would be pretty rare to see a whale shark in Cozumel. I have seen one once in Playa Del Carmen. Tours are advertised here for whale sharks but the actual site is out past Ilsa Mujares and Holbox area. It is a early morning (6am ferry) shuttle to Cancun and out from there on a boat. Its roughly an hr boat ride to where the whale sharks are which is usually blue water. Yesterday we had hundreds of whale sharks and many mantas as well. The mantas were actually breaching the water!

Back
Top Bottom