There's a bill in congress to ban shark feeding dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shark dives involve what, 50 sharks tops. Ya'll ever seen how many sharks there are in FL during the migration? There's no way that shark feeding is getting the word out to so many sharks that it's going to make a statistical difference.

You could argue that chumming attracts more sharks to man, but we're not argueing that, are we? Fisherman and other are still going to be chumming. That's not being made illegal?

When I lived in Floriduh. My peers and I had a simple rule: You're safe in clear water.

Brackish nasty water, and the foggy beach surfers water, is were where the danger always was. (except for the nasty Suwanne river, seemed safe there as well)

Florida - baited shark diving prohibited -- 748 "shark attacks" from 1837 to present (USA Map :: Florida Museum of Natural History).

Bahamas - baited shark diving allowed -- 27 "shark attacks" from 1749 to present (Bahamas & Antilles Map :: Florida Museum of Natural History).

It would seem that the more than 30 years of shark baiting/conditioning/feeding in the Bahamas has not resulted in more attacks/interactions. More data refuting the theory that baited shark dives will lead to more shark attacks.

Last edited:
@Epic Diving that's not a real fair comparison that anyone can use to come to a conclusion. There's far more coast line and people in Florida than the Bahamas. Shark feeding is still being conducted today in Federal waters off Florida and it's well known sharks migrate to and from Florida as we share the same body of water in close proximity.

I will say, the more I research it I'm not sure I agree with the bill. I'm often against a lot of the laws that have been created to basically ban citizens from their own resources and environments. I'm all for conservation and sustainability, but I'm now leaning toward this being just another example of our government stripping away Liberty.

@Epic Diving that's not a real fair comparison that anyone can use to come to a conclusion. There's far more coast line and people in Florida than the Bahamas. Shark feeding is still being conducted today in Federal waters off Florida and it's well known sharks migrate to and from Florida as we share the same body of water in close proximity.

I will say, the more I research it I'm not sure I agree with the bill. I'm often against a lot of the laws that have been created to basically ban citizens from their own resources and environments. I'm all for conservation and sustainability, but I'm now leaning toward this being just another example of our government stripping away Liberty.
I agree with it not being conclusive evidence, but it is supportive. I don't think there will ever be conclusive evidence one way or the other, but facts such as these, research such as this Don’t bite the hand that feeds: assessing ecological impacts of provisioning ecotourism on an apex marine predator - Hammerschlag - 2012 - Functional Ecology - Wiley Online Library, and the experience of responsible and knowledgeable operators all would suggest that there is little to no impact on shark ecology. The only argument to against shark baiting is just a gut feeling that it is not and cannot be good. Meanwhile, the only available evidence is to the contrary. It seems the people that are most against this type of encounter have never and will never experience it for themselves, yet are so adamant about it's impact. Ask any diver that's ever come out with us....as soon as the bait is gone, the sharks swim around at a much greater distance, some even leave the area. When the bait is back in the water, they return. They know when there's one fish left in my bait crate and will stick around patiently until it's gone. As soon as it's gone, back to business as usual. They don't start terrorizing the divers, demanding food, and biting at us. There's been no impact on their seasonal migration or their "aggressiveness." These same sharks have been fed by divers for nearly a decade, yet no measurable difference in the shark's behavior. Longer at other locations in the Bahamas. Baited sharks are calmly investigating the area to see what's available. They are not mindless. They are rather cautious and calculated.

Not necessarily. It depends on which version of "Federal waters" it's applied to. "US Territorial waters" are 12 nm out and the "US exclusive economic zone" is 200 nm out. So for example, a foreign cargo vessel 13 nm out, that isn't doing any fishing, is still in "international waters".

Interesting question. The difference between territorial waters and the EEZ is that the US has full legal sovereignty within 12 miles, but the EEZ is merely a "sovereign right" to the resources under those waters. I'd have to ask my legally-minded acquaintances whether the proposed ban would extend to the EEZ. Not sure if it matters, but there's also the additional wrinkle that EEZs are defined under the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS); while the US accepts it as codified international law and Ronald Reagan established the US EEZ by presidential proclamation in 1983, Congress has never ratified UNCLOS.

This whole discussion is curious. On one hand you have people advocating shark feeding because it doesn't affect their behavior (you seriously believe this?). On the other hand feeding killed lionfish and feeding them to sharks is said (scientists) to have begun to endanger divers. Can't have it both ways. Just sayin' ...

One great point is that any reported shark attacks/injuries (whatever the reason) is bad for sharks.

You could argue that chumming attracts more sharks to man, but we're not argueing that, are we? Fisherman and other are still going to be chumming. That's not being made illegal?

That is one of the things I questioned the bill's sponsor about. I completely agree, if you ban one you should ban the other. Otherwise you should ban none. The current proposal is counter intuitive.

My suspicion is that the fishing lobby is powerful, but the shark diving lobby is not. Therefore, the exemption for baiting sharks during shark fishing.

This whole discussion is curious. On one hand you have people advocating shark feeding because it doesn't affect their behavior (you seriously believe this?). On the other hand feeding killed lionfish and feeding them to sharks is said (scientists) to have begun to endanger divers. Can't have it both ways. Just sayin' ...

One great point is that any reported shark attacks/injuries (whatever the reason) is bad for sharks.

I'm not advocating feeding because it doesn't change their behavior. There are obviously new and learned behaviors from the sharks, much the same way your cat might learn that when you go into the cabinet that has their treats or food in it, they're about to be fed. I'm saying that feeding sharks does not turn the sharks into maneaters and the idea of associating humans with food is overstated. They are getting treats, not fed.

As for the argument about lionfish, it's a completely different scenario. If the shark diving world could have conditioned sharks to change and learn behavior in the past 20 - 30 years (or in far fewer years in many locations), than the 60 - 70 years of spearfishing certainly has. If there is a shark in the vicinity, they will hear the slings and rubbers snap, they’ll hear the dying/struggling fish with all of their senses, and instantly start in on the hunt, the kill. There's an infinite difference between a shark in feeding mode and a shark in hunting mode. Spearing fish incites the hunt, which is 450 million years of predatory instinct. Responsible shark diving and shark feeding does nothing of the sort.

You're absolutely right about any reported incident being bad for the sharks. Responsible shark diving facilitates the rational view of sharks and encourages people to advocate for sharks. Safety is paramount because when accidents happen, it’s counterproductive for everyone and everything involved. Responsible shark diving has done quantifiably more to help sharks with little downside. If we passed legislation like this, there’d be a much greater impetus to outlaw cave diving, or rebreather diving, or mixed gas diving….but we wouldn’t stand for that. Our decisions, rules, laws, and policies should be based on facts and logic. Unfortunately, when it comes to sharks, people are very irrational and biased because of all the fear mongering going on. Learn about sharks, study sharks, think rationally about sharks before jumping to conculsions.

Our decisions, rules, laws, and policies should be based on facts and logic.
Absolutely, but if you've ever read laws in the USA you'll know. Laws based on facts and logic are the exception rather than the norm.

There are obviously lots of folks who feel strongly about this issue. Hopefully I'm not the only person participating in this thread who has actually contacted a senator about it. It's a bill, which could become law. The only way to "do something" about it at this point is to contact your senator. It's easy, fill out a form on their website. Their staff will review it and respond. If enough letters are sent in, they may even be brought to the attention of your senator. You could look up their phone number and make a call as well.

It's a federal law that's been proposed, so it is NOT limited to us Floridians. Everyone can play (in the USA of course).

If you're a member of a club or fraternity (I'm thinking rotary club, Freemasons, etc) then your club or fraternity probably has a lobby person who can easily get the ear of their representatives for a chat.

If you do nothing but post, you're wasting your time.. regardless of which side of this issue you are on. Well other than the inherent value in venting your frustrations, I guess.

I must admit, I'm surprised to see a Bahamian shark dive operator arguing against it. I would assume that you'd benefit from this law, as those desiring such a dive would have to go see you instead of doing it from a US based boat.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom