"There's a snake in my boat!"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea krait is harmless to people. It has such small mouth to not even able to bite your finger tip. To prove it, DM in Misool Eco Resort demonstrated this to me underwater:
IMG_4706.JPG

So, let it crawls away back to the water or crack in the piers.

Balinese treats it as one of their holy creatures. Just go visit Tanah Lot temple, where the priests give offerings & prayers to sea kraits.

Last edited:
Sea krait is harmless to people. It has such small mouth to not even able to bite your finger tip. To prove it, DM in Misool Eco Resort demonstrated this to me underwater:

So, let it crawls away back to the water or crack in the piers.

Balinese treats it as one of their holy creatures. Just go visit Tanah Lot temple, where the priests give offerings & prayers to sea kraits.
That doesn't jive with what I've read about it. According to several sources (wikipedia, animal diversity, others - google) the sea krait has a venom more powerful than the cobra. Although the articles do indicate they're not aggressive and only attack when threatened. I'm guessing a krait stuck on a dive boat would feel threatened.

There's a quote from an Jamie Seymour, Austrailian professor of biology in this article about a woman who had been bitten.
Prof Seymour said anyone that did get bitten would be in trouble because sea snakes were ranked in the top 15 most venomous species in the world.

Bite victims should put a pressure bandage around the bite.

He said the biggest misconception about sea snakes was that they were less dangerous because of their tiny fangs. "Their venom tends to break down muscle."

Personally, I think that DM is a fool for touching one.

Last edited:
That doesn't jive with what I've read about it. According to several sources (wikipedia, animal diversity, others - google) the sea krait has a venom more powerful than the cobra. Although the articles do indicate they're not aggressive and only attack when threatened. I'm guessing a krait stuck on a dive boat would feel threatened.

There's a quote from an Jamie Seymour, Austrailian professor of biology in this article about a woman who had been bitten.

Personally, I think that DM is a fool for touching one.

He didn't touch it. It swam on to his hand. I'll bite you too if you touch me inappropriately :D

You can tell Jonathan Bird a fool for doing this:

Last edited:
There's a quote from an Jamie Seymour, Austrailian professor of biology in this article about a woman who had been bitten..
The article is very unprecise about which seasnake bit the woman, I wouldn't mess with the snake that is pictured in the article and some of the banded sea snakes species are known to be more agressive especially when caught in nets, however I don't think there has been any report of a laticauda colubrina (the cute slim banded snake crawling on the DM's hand) attack or human bite even though they are very venomous.
The kids in Fiji play on the beach with those.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom