Thermalution Battery Powered, Heated Undershirt: A Product Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're unable to overcome drysuit drag with a Gavin scooter?

Let me ask you this :) .....If you had a new corvette sting ray, or a Lamborghini Gallardo, and you lived in a place with awesome mountain roads and switchbacks....would you decide it is just fine to tow a small but heavy trailer around with your supercar--or, would you prefer to get out of the car, what is possible? and fun?

But sure, if you have to tow the trailer once in a while, you "can" tow it. :) That is the Dry suit...the trailer on the Gavin.

i bought a thermalution heated shirt earlier this year.
as winter approaches our dive season is coming to an end.
i'm just wondering what is the best way to store the batteries during the off season.
do you drain and leave them?
do you charge them every so often?
do you charge them, turn on the shirt and drain them every so often?
thanks guys (and no i'm not going to take up ice diving)

No off season here. In the winter vis can get up an astounding 10'-12'... Why waste that kind of awesome vis? :)

Water temps revolved around 36* last winter. They say it's going to be colder this year, but I think we're due for a warmer winter.

...Anyway... No off-season, so no winterizing gear.

Obviously I haven't used my Thermalution since the water warmed last Spring. I have done nothing to it... Washed it, installed the batteries (maybe 50% full) and hung it up.

The batteries are LiIon, like a cell phone. No memory to speak of... No real need for maintenance.

...Which is good, since I have enough to maintain already. :)

So i guess you could go for the Surf series (15m) if diving dry right ?
Seem like a promising product based on all reviews here and there! Buuut, if i where to buy one, i would really like to retrofit it with an external canister and some e/o connections maybe.. should be doable or ?

Call Thermalution and ask... My bet is that they'd recommend the Yellow version if you plan to dive dry all the time.

Call Thermalution and ask... My bet is that they'd recommend the Yellow version if you plan to dive dry all the time.
Yeah They would.. but for customisation i wouldn't. .. i dont want wireless, and i want battery Outside... that's why I'm thinking the Surf. . (Ohh yeah and price wise...)

Cool. Keep us posted... I was thinking of doing the same thing with an old can light I've got.

Yeah, smal light canister here to.. but i would like to know a little more about the controller/electronics in these before possibly making a purchase...
How is it to retrofit let's say an e/o connection to the west for fiting onto something like a Santi suit inflator ? And how does the power settings work ? Possible to customize it to maybe like a 3-point switch on a canister ?
Thanks... :)

Looks like you could build your own for about $100, if you were so inclined.

Carbonheater.us sells flexible, washable carbon-impregnated fabric tape.

This thoughtful and detailed article over at Instructables shows what a little stitching and soldering with carbon fabric tape can accomplish.

The author shows off his new vest via an IR camera ...

carbon-heater-us.jpg

Cheers gonna check it out!

---------- Post added October 14th, 2014 at 01:58 AM ----------

on sec toughts.... Would be a fun prodject for topside use, but "what if" i get a leak (and i kinda "always" have one....bahh) in my drysuit...
Sooo, back to a waterproof one!

---------- Post added October 14th, 2014 at 02:16 AM ----------

one thing about the Thermalution suits i see now is that they only have heat pads on the back... Diving drysuit it's at the front of your body you will loose most heat, since all the air on the suit will rise to the back... hmmm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom