thickness of bladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

www.dyv.us

Registered
Reaction score
What does it mean when a manufacturer of wings says: 22 mil urethane bladder thickness?

Cant be 22 millimeters... ???? :confused:

A "mil" is actually a "milli-inch" (so to speak), i.e. a thousandth of an inch, so the bladder is made of urethane sheet 0.022 inches thick.

so your saying the 22 mil bladder is thinner than the normal ones? How much of a difference is it?

so your saying the 22 mil bladder is thinner than the normal ones?
Actually, it's the other way around. 22 mil is the thicker option:
Bladders are available in either 12 mil (.012") or 22 mil (.022") urethane film.

This is how thick that 22 mil bladder is. Stupid/funny/scary story here:

Reattaching my inflator hose yesterday , I peek through the valve into the darkness of the wing. Oh damn! I see nothing but thick, black ballistic nylon and no bladder. It's somehow come disconnected from the valve, it's down inside the wing somewhere, and I'm going to have to fish it out and figure out how to reattach it (with no zipper, mind you)!

But feeling around with my finger I still feel a slippery layer of urethane in there somewhere, all the way up to the valve. So what gives? Is there an additional ballistic nylon bag INSIDE the bladder in a "turducken" construction of some sort? Don't know - let's just reattach the inflator hose* and see what happens. Sure enough, it inflates and holds air exactly as designed.

Duh. That IS the bladder I saw and felt. It is so thick and totally black (yeah, the bladder itself is black, not clear) that I mistook it for another layer of nylon. Good stuff, DSS!

bk (posting here a lot lately as a proud new DSS owner)

*As mentioned in this thread, I've been attaching my hose a click or two to the left - hope that's ok.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom