Things/Accessories you wish you acquired earlier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BP/W..............I switched from a Zeagle Scout after six months of diving. I always hated the noodley straps.

Boat.

For more than decade I thought getting a boat would be ridiculous.
Why have a headache when I can go to the dock with my gear , dive, and then grab the gear and go. Few downsides were having to endure other people's chit-chat, some operators had silly rules, schedules were all over the place, some boats would wait up to 45 min for late comers.
As the time went by, my patience diminished at about the same rate the number of charter's rules increased.
After 6 months with the boat I realized that under the right conditions having a boat is the #1 piece of gear for abundant and happy dives.
The objective cost of the boat was amortized in 10 years (a couple of months sooner) but the subjective cost was more than over within 6 months. Once the ladder and general setup was completed it felt like the proverbial Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh !!!!!
It's going on 15 years now and the $ amount per dive is way less than using a charter.. the subjective amount can be considered as a plus, because it saves me from being home clicking on stuff i don't need and not needing therapy.

What's the happiest two days of a boat-owner's life?

Actually, it is "What is the second happiest day of a boat-owner's life?" - the day he buys a boat.

The happiest day is when he sells it....

(FTR - I have had mine for nearly 30 years...)

I've had a few boats. They all come with plusses and minuses but having a boat has increased the number of dives, animals found, and overall enjoyment of diving for me. Other items that have increased diving enjoyment are a drysuit, dry gloves, Freedom Plate, camera, and a dive buddy who also enjoys solo diving.

Digital camera set up, if they were available earlier i wouldn't have 2K plus in Nikonos equipment with a current retail value of squat gathering dust in the basement.

At least I didn't spring for the fancy extra thick laminated dive tables and Padi Wheel

Actually, it is "What is the second happiest day of a boat-owner's life?" - the day he buys a boat.

The happiest day is when he sells it....

(FTR - I have had mine for nearly 30 years...)
I recently sold my sailing boat in the middle of the first lockdown, much to my surprise. Was slightly sad at seeing her go; we'd been together for 15 years. Absolutely don't miss all the bills, the constant "I never used her" thoughts and constant work that's needed. But most of all there's no annual haul-out and bottom clean + surprises.

I do now have a rebreather - yay! And a DPV - yay! And plans for loads of diving - yay! And plans for holidays - yay!

But we're back in lockdown and it's likely that foreign travel's banned for another year - booooo!

I recently sold my sailing boat in the middle of the first lockdown, much to my surprise.

Boat sales market here is crazy. Folks have nowhere to go, so are wanting something to do locally. Boating has been the relief.

Though I acquired these a couple of years after starting to dive, they are my favourites--
--Apollo Bio Tank Lock (never have a tank slip, no wetting of straps needed).
--Spring fin straps-- No buckles, especially with gloves on in cold water.

Spring straps - I’m amazed the number of people who still don’t have them. They make your life so much easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom