Things they don't teach in SCUBA school

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These conditions---How big are the waves we're talking about? In my limited "surf" diving (mostly in NJ), I found it possible to time fin removal with lulls in the sets of waves, then scamper out quickly. The waves I have been in were maybe 4 feet (depending on how you measure their height). Is it advisable to shore dive with bigger waves?

Big waves and rocky shores? I guess if that's the only choice one has, you do it. I'm fortunate to have nicer choices here and on the Gulf of Mex.

An emergency gas planning & reserve example for a dive to the Basic Open Water Limit of 18m/60':

Emergency "Stressed" Breathing Rate of 30 litres/min SCR (Surface Consumption Rate), with 18 meters (2.8 ATA) max depth NDL, and with 1 minute stops every 3 meters to surface (can be performed as 30 seconds hold at depth and then 30 seconds to ascend 3 meters to the next shallower depth and hold again for 30 seconds; then repeat these ascend 30sec & hold 30sec intervals every 3 meters --all the way to the surface):

2.8 x 30 x 1 = 84
2.5 x 30 x 1 = 75
2.2 x 30 x 1 = 66
1.9 x 30 x 1 = 57
1.6 x 30 x 1 = 48
1.3 x 30 x 1 = 39
1.0 x 30 x 1 = 30

Sum Total: 399 litres gas needed to ascend to surface for an emergency contingency.

Divide the above total by the metric tank rating of the Scuba cylinder in use; for this example let's use the AL80 tank for each member of the buddy team, which has a metric rating of 11 litres/bar. So 399/11 = approx 36 bar.

That's 36 bar to get you to the surface --to get yourself and sharing gas with an Out-of-Air Buddy you will need at least twice this amount: 36 x 2 = 72 bar. Therefore your Air Reserve is 72 bar showing on your SPG --if there is no emergency air sharing contingency at that exact instant at 18m depth with 72 bar remaining, just continue the dive as normal but start a easy nominal ascent to the shallower depths between 5m and 9m. Finally, be at your 5m safety stop with your buddy with no less than 50 bar showing on the SPG.

Note: an arbitrary value of 3 meters/min emergency ascent rate as used above is a very conservative, slow and easily controllable ascent rate for the novice diver buddy team performing an emergency air share. Even though the max recommended ascent rate is 9m/min, I would not calculate the above air reserve plan with an ascent rate any faster than 6m/min.

Never let anything or anyone get you "winded" (panting) underwater because it just doesn't work underwater and leads to all sorts of bad/worse things. The class taught you not to get left alone/behind. Truth is, getting left behind may very well be better than getting winded.

Never let anything or anyone get you "winded" (panting) underwater because it just doesn't work underwater and leads to all sorts of bad/worse things. The class taught you not to get left alone/behind. Truth is, getting left behind may very well be better than getting winded.

So very very true. Panic and tunnel vision is what kills divers, and it all starts with rapid breathing, for whatever cause.

A diver showing high rate of respiration is a stressed diver entering that down-spiral.

Stop.
Breath.
Think.
Then Act.

Never let anything or anyone get you "winded" (panting) underwater because it just doesn't work underwater and leads to all sorts of bad/worse things.

I should have known this on one of my first winter trips on the coast. The weather was a bit windy, the boat had only a moderate-sized grapnel anchor, and the site we were at had a flat, sandy bottom (we were doing a scallop dive). I and my buddy tended the boat first, so we entered alone as the second team. About three-quarters into the dive, we suddenly notice a grapnel doing good speed along the bottom, carving up a pretty decent furrow in the sand. I didn't think, I just sprinted after the anchor, got hold of it and steered it sideways to set it in some rocks.

It took me at least five minutes, just hanging on to the anchor rope, to get my breath back. And I felt pretty crappy while waiting for it. I'm not sure I'd do it again.

Don't pee in your wetsuit hanging on the safety stop line-or for that matter within 10 minutes of dive end.EVERYONE on the boat WILL know you've peed. -AND the poor Divemaster that has to wash your rental suit will not be impressed.
DO be absolutely clear the signals THAT dive leader wants used for air levels. Every leader is different. From "I don't care Your air your problem" to accurate checks wanted every 5-10 minutes (deeper dives)

They don't teach you that sometimes the instructors are also salespeople for the shop, who try to sell you the most expensive equipment...

They don't teach you that sometimes the instructors are also salespeople for the shop, who try to sell you the most expensive equipment...

I would take that as read with most instructors who are affiliated to a shop. I would, however, take it as a positive if the instructor did not push the most expensive kit but did actually sell what was required/requested for that diver.

I didn't learn from my DI but from my mentor the finer points of controlling your bouyancy with your breath and not overweighting.

I learned stride entries off rock boulders and exits onto same while judging the waves. Had to learn from the Californians about their surf entries.

I learned how to body surf in full scuba gear hanging on a mermaid line while they dragged us to the somewhat protected area where is was safer to try to attempt to board the bucking boat.

I learned that even the best divers can totally and completely mess up.

Oh and some people need a bit of citric (orange)before their spit has the required acid base to keep the mask from fogging.

Most important.. I learned when to call a dive and tell anyone who copped an attitude I wouldn't dive with them again!

In a big surf on a rocky shore it may be your only choice. What better alternative do you suggest - even on a sand beach - in big waves?

How about a boat?

Some shore entries/exits are just really hazardous. If I were in the sort of situation where I was really worried about simply walking out with my gear, I'd take off the BC and fins. I'd inflate the BC and try to float it in/ let it wash up, get myself out, and try to drag it away from the surf. There are lots of variables, of course, but to me I'd be better off without the heavy gear, depending on the conditions, footing, depth, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom