Things To Do After Morning Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ankita S

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All! I'm a solo female traveler visiting Cozumel for the first time from July 4-8. This forum has been SUPER helpful. I am booked with Tres Pelicanos (Jeanie and Steve are awesome) and staying at Casa Mexicana.

I've checkout out a bunch of threads here, but wanted to request current recommendations for activities/tours/classes/restaurants after I complete my morning dives.

Thanks for the ideas in advance,
Ankita

Look into the sea turtle nesting tours, ask Jeanie about them and she will hook you up.

Not sure they will have any hatchings yet, but you should be able to go out and help mark the nests and do counts.

Enjoy!

Can anyone say if the museum is open these days? That was a wonderful way to spend an afternoon on my last trip. I'm also a big fan of the Palancar beach club for chilling out. It's far enough south I've never seen big crowds when I was there.

I would normally say take an afternoon to go to the east side for the amazing beaches but I hear the sargassum is really bad right now.

lunch then a nap :)

My routine was to eat lunch as my main meal of the day (as was the custom in days of yore--sigh), then yes a nap and/or dip in the pool, then go out for a couple of tacos in the evening.

If a night dive was scheduled, then it was scrounge from whatever place was still open after we got back and showered.

Eat lunch and do an afternoon dive trip. :)

Lunch, nap, evening stroll, early to bed, more morning diving. I think you will be surprised how 2 hours underwater encourages a wonderful nap.

Jeez, you want activities and everyone's telling you to go to sleep! I missed that you were looking for restaurants on the first read so here are a few of my favorites:

El Pique - taqueria on 30th across the street from the grocery store - awesome, cheap tacos, my favorite are the gringas and al pastor, sit in the back area if you can to get away from the street noise

Los Otates - another great taco place, super chill, always see a few divers hanging around, they usually have a game or latin music videos on the tv

Prima - upscale dinner place, on the top of one of the higher buildings, so it has a fantastic view of the channel

Other places to research that are frequently recommended here: Casa Denis, El Moro, La Mission (not the one near the waterfront), La Choza.

Generally you want to stay away from restaurants near the waterfront without doing your homework first. Odds are prices will be higher and quality lower. Not always (Casa Denis is in the main square for example), but I've found it's a good rule of thumb.

And if you want a really crappy experience, Senor Frog's is right down the street from your hotel. :D

Can anyone say if the museum is open these days? That was a wonderful way to spend an afternoon on my last trip. I'm also a big fan of the Palancar beach club for chilling out. It's far enough south I've never seen big crowds when I was there.

I would normally say take an afternoon to go to the east side for the amazing beaches but I hear the sargassum is really bad right now.

@DeltaWardog,
I haven't gone into the actual museum exhibits, but I have gone through the building a few times taking the stairs up to Novena Ola restaurant on the second floor for breakfast. Museum part certainly seemed open.

Back to OP's question. You should rent a car and go to East side one afternoon or day if sargassum isn't still bad as @DeltaWardog mentioned. There are beach bars every mile or so but no other development on that side of the island. Coconuts has the best view (on a small hill overlooking the open Caribbean), but Punta Morena and pretty much every other bar over there are also good. I wouldn't recommend swimming/snorkeling anywhere on East Side other than inside the ropes at Chen Rio, currents on east side are notorious. You can either rent a car (NOT A SCOOTER) or a hire taxi to show you around. I know you didn't ask, but for people living here see tourists get into scooter accidents all the time (bad local drivers, one way streets, drunk tourists, bicycles going the wrong way down the street and inexperienced/drunk rental scooter drivers provide a steady stream of ER patients for the hospitals)

While not on East side, Palancar Beach Club is a relaxing place to hang out as @DeltaWardog mentioned. Palancar Beach Club also has some OK snorkeling. If you are looking for a mix of people and water, Money Bar sometimes has bands on certain days. Money Bar is south of town but not as far as Palancar Beach Club and tends to get more people and also has OK snorkeling. Hemingway's Restaurant/bar is just north of town and has a nice setup very close to the water but I haven't been there lately. I can't remember if they have a protected swimming area (don't swim there if they don't have ropes--too many boat/swimmer accidents outside of ropes in that general area).

If you are in town there a bunch of bar/restaurants that get a mix of tourists and ex-pats (Dick's Dive, Thirsty Cougar, Wet Wendy's ...)--obviously Covid would be a concern for me but not everyone. I think the former owner of rather popular Pub is re-opening at the old Kelly's location on Ave 10 between A.R. Salas and Calle 1 any day now. Many, many good restaurants in town, you can see other posts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom