Thinking about Belize for next year-need suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first ever dive in Alaska was a night dive with those folks. Although I had a trilaminate drysuit with me I hadn't carried my undergarment so had to improvise, and I have never been so cold in my whole life!

You poor thing!

My first ever dive in Alaska was a night dive with those folks. Although I had a trilaminate drysuit with me I hadn't carried my undergarment so had to improvise, and I have never been so cold in my whole life!

Actually, there's more than 1 group. My folks only dive in Whittier in the winter because the shop boat can't go out in then. The summers are spent in Seward.

I am looking for a trip to Belize for our store trip in March for 12-14 people. I was looking at Turneffe Island Resort. Any body been there, and can speak for the staff, diving and accomadations? Also What is available for land tours.
Thanks,
Chuck

I've been getting regular calls about buying a property down south. Not advocating them, but they do boast a private island just 1000 feet from the reef. And they said that it was rarely dived. Perhaps you do a week on the livabord then go down to the southernmost Cayes or even the southern coast of Belize for the second week. It's likely lots of great reef diving and a slightly different look from the common access points around Ambergris, Caulker, Lighthouse Atoll, etc.

I am looking for a trip to Belize for our store trip in March for 12-14 people. I was looking at Turneffe Island Resort. Any body been there, and can speak for the staff, diving and accomadations? Also What is available for land tours.
Thanks,
Chuck

I'm headed there this Saturday for a week so I'll report when I get back!

Thanks,
Chuck

You may want to read my TIR trip report on this board.

Redgym,

My wife and I are going in late October (as long as the weather cooperates:wink:) What do they do for the checkout dive and is considered as 1 of the 15 in the package?

I'm starting to think about where to go for next year's 2 week vacation. We have dived most of the Caribbean but have never made it to Belize. We definitely want to do either the Aggressor or Peter Hughes. But that's only a week. I often combine a week on a liveaboard with a week of land based. My questions are these:

1. Are all the dive operators in Belize DM lead? I don't want any DM leading me around-I'm already married to one and that's bad enough :D.

2. Where would we go for land based that would be different from the liveaboard?

3. Maybe we should just book 2 weeks on a liveaboard. How crazy is that?

My other thoughts were liveaboards in Australia, Fiji, and the Marshall Islands. But getting there from Anchorage is a crazy long trip with multiple days and planes. We are already going to Truk in 2011.

Any suggestions are welcome. But I'm serious about not wanting a DM lead operator.

I lead a few trips a year to Belize, my mother in law owns a house on St. Georges Key which is about 15 minutes from Belize City. Our dock is about 300 yards from the reef and some of the best diving around. If you pm me I can give you some good info on Belize.

Redgym,

My wife and I are going in late October (as long as the weather cooperates:wink:) What do they do for the checkout dive and is considered as 1 of the 15 in the package?

The checkout dive is one of the 15 dives in the package. However, its really only a checkout dive in name. I don't remember off hand what dive we did, but we went down to about 75 ft and did a normal dive. Much different than my checkout dive in Moorea where we only went down to about 20 ft with a sandy bottom and had do some skills.

I thought I remembered someone at the resort saying they were closed during October. I take it that isn't true?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom